March 2010 Craft Along Now Open

LeakyLounge
Posted by: Rosi
March 06, 2010, 07:26 PM

Yesterday, the Crafty Witches launched a brand new environmentally-conscious Craft-Along, in time for the upcoming Earth Day on the 22nd of April. The challenge for this month is to turn your favourite Harry Potter book into a small reusable bag, enabling you to better help the planet by turning down the plastic carrier bags offered in shops.

MyLeaky points will be awarded to everyone who participates in the Craft-Along as follows:

• 1 MyLeaky point for signing up for a Craft-Along
  • 1 MyLeaky point for every suggestion you give on how to use the book pages
  • 5 MyLeaky points for posting pictures of one finished product
  • 10 MyLeaky points for posting pictures of every extra finished product
You can sign up to participate at the Craft-Along thread or find more information on the Craft-Along page here. The March Craft-Along page can be found at this link with information about tutorials and this month's project. If you're not registered at the Leaky Lounge, you can sign up right here. Happy crafting!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent LeakyLounge News

Harry_potter_and_the_chamber_of_secrets_thumb

good luck everyone!

Posted by BellatrixGranger on March 06, 2010, 07:45 PM report to moderator

Throwing books away?!!! Who would do such a thing?!!

Posted by Jillxoxo on March 06, 2010, 08:12 PM report to moderator

umm I don’t think i would want to destroy my potter books :S

Posted by on March 06, 2010, 08:19 PM report to moderator

While I wouldn’t destroy MY copies, I would imagine that it wouldn’t be hard to pick up a used copy online fairly cheap! Here’s where I ran into trouble. This method works great for older hardcover books with art printed directly onto the covers, but most newer books have all the artwork on book jackets. So I was thinking as I was watching, and it seems like the best thing to do would be to decopage (with Mod Podge or similar) the book jacket onto the cover itself. Or onto a good stiff chip board, or thin, lightweight wood for a really sturdy bag. I would likely use a lightweight canvas for the fabric. As for the pages of the book, that’s easy! Take and cut out favorite sections or quotes and decoupage them onto a journal, table, box, picture frame, anything really!

Posted by FlPhotoMama on March 06, 2010, 09:22 PM report to moderator
Llamaflyiong_thumb

I certainly wouldn’t want to destory any book and especially not my HP books. I have had them for 12 years and would be devestated if anything happened to them. I’m sure that there will be some wonderful creations which come out of this project but I know for certain that I can think of much better uses for my books than tearing them up and making a shopping bag from them.

Posted by lurking_llama on March 06, 2010, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

It’s a great idea! And although true fans wouldn’t destroy their (our!!!) precious books for any cause, there are some people who might at the present time. It’s that colleague from work or friend from school that you (with great effort) managed to convince to read the HP series but that wouldn’t have read it at all if it wasn’t for you insistence. I guess many of us know people like that…

Posted by Madam Snape on March 06, 2010, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Good Luck to anyone!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on March 06, 2010, 10:35 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

destroy a collection of first editions
i think not craftalong

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on March 06, 2010, 11:46 PM report to moderator
9013438_thumb

I would make a bag inspired by…out of scrap fabric…but I wouldn’t use the books, even my “retired” book that is falling apart, gets a place on the shelf.

Posted by carebie on March 07, 2010, 12:28 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

that sounds like fun! i think im gonna join… although i dont wanna destroy my Harry Potter books…

Posted by MaggieNoise on March 07, 2010, 02:41 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I don’t want to destroy my Potter books! But the designs should be interesting!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 07, 2010, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Sounds hard!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 07, 2010, 11:11 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

It does sound rather hard.. I would just buy a cheap set of Amazon or something.. my own copies are too sacred!
Good luck :)

Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Good luck to those who participate.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on March 07, 2010, 02:16 PM report to moderator

although, if they fail, they might regret it. :P
imagine!! seeing harry and dumbledore and dobby getting cut into bits! …and i dont think they prefer shopping either.
but good luck all in all!

Posted by on March 07, 2010, 04:25 PM report to moderator

"Well, I think this should put an end to the oaf's teaching career," said Malfoy, his eyes glinting. "Half-giant... and there was me thinking he'd just swallowed a bottle of Skele-Gro when he was young... None of the mummies and daddies are going to like