Harry Potter Books Make Top Book to Pass On and Bed Time Story Lists

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 04, 2010, 11:52 AM

A World Book Day survey has found that the Harry Potter series ranks as the top book readers would pass on to younger generations.  The BBC reports that more than 1,000 Britons aged 16-64 were surveyed as part of this poll, which ranked such other books as The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini as novels people would likely pass down.  The full list is as follows:

1. The Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
  2. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
  3. Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions - New Scientist
  4. A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
  5. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
  6. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
  7. 9/11 Commission Report - National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States
  8. You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life - Dr Gillian McKeith
  9. The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  10. Dreams From My Father - Barack Obama
On a related note, the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince novel was ranked in a list of the best bed time stories from a survey of parents with children aged 2-11.  As the Telegraph reports, this poll was also carried out in conjunction with World Book Day, and listed the sixth Potter book in 19th place.  The classic The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle claimed the top spot in this poll.  The full listing of books can be found at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

4_thumb

this is so cool. Harry Potter will never get old! it’s going to keep going!

Posted by Siriuslover117 on March 04, 2010, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Why am I not surprised?

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on March 04, 2010, 10:34 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I for one is saving my hardbound HP books to be read by my son when he can. awesome!

Posted by alegria35 on March 04, 2010, 11:39 PM report to moderator
S515055255_79825_2635_thumb

this is totaly awesome. harry potter number 1!!
i always read like 5 chapters of one of the books in harry potter before bed. works like love potion…

Posted by clever-ravenclaw=] on March 05, 2010, 12:17 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Yes, well done Harry potter and the Da vinci code!!!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 05, 2010, 11:33 AM report to moderator

this is great! :) and so true!
@fifi lol so do I.
and the da vinci code and the kite runner are brilliant books as well!

Posted by on March 05, 2010, 08:39 PM report to moderator

JKR is number one again! Of course these books will be passed down! How could they not, they are wonderful in every way!!!! And classic to a “T”.

Posted by hewy on March 06, 2010, 05:14 PM report to moderator
Cadoyp57_thumb

wtf is the 9/11 commission report doing on that list? I guess cuz it is fiction…

Posted by PigmyPuffPie on March 06, 2010, 07:40 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Harry Potter rules the world.

As much as I love Twilight.. seriously? I wouldn’t give that to a younger reader! I’ll reccommend it to friend who is a year or two younger than me.. but I won’t give it to kids or anything!!

I remember when my sister was reading the first two HPs to me.. I was 6.. :‘)… Then she read the 1st chapter of the GoF to get me started on it… Good times.
Now I’m reading them to my mum because she doesn’t particually want to read them herself but she has no troubles about me reading them to her!!

Harry_potter_seal_thumb

I used to love it when my mom read me HP.

Posted by Jacket on March 08, 2010, 12:02 PM report to moderator
Shopping_thumb

Heck yeah! I’m totally going to pass them on to my own kids…Harry potter must live on for lots and lots of years! Lol

Posted by jodgomex on March 08, 2010, 12:55 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

So exciting — and to think, we were THERE!

Platform_9_34_thumb

I don’t have any children, but I already have plans to get a full set for each of my nephews whom are only 4 and 2. Long live Harry and the wizarding world.

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on March 14, 2010, 07:15 PM report to moderator

"Hello, Harry," said George, beaming at him. "We thought we heard your dulcet tones."[br]"You don't want to bottle up your anger like that, Harry, let it all out," said Fred, also beaming. "There might be a couple of people fifty miles away who didn't hea