Harry Potter Books Make Top Book to Pass On and Bed Time Story Lists

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 04, 2010, 11:52 AM

A World Book Day survey has found that the Harry Potter series ranks as the top book readers would pass on to younger generations.  The BBC reports that more than 1,000 Britons aged 16-64 were surveyed as part of this poll, which ranked such other books as The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini as novels people would likely pass down.  The full list is as follows:

1. The Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
  2. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
  3. Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions - New Scientist
  4. A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
  5. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
  6. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
  7. 9/11 Commission Report - National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States
  8. You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life - Dr Gillian McKeith
  9. The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  10. Dreams From My Father - Barack Obama
On a related note, the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince novel was ranked in a list of the best bed time stories from a survey of parents with children aged 2-11.  As the Telegraph reports, this poll was also carried out in conjunction with World Book Day, and listed the sixth Potter book in 19th place.  The classic The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle claimed the top spot in this poll.  The full listing of books can be found at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

_r9kau7w_thumb

#1. as it should be. :) still, its pretty remarkable the titles hp beat out! wow.

and as far as the bedtime stories…as much as i love hp, i really dont think of it as a bedtime story. so eric carle, take your rightful place at number one and enjoy it!!! i still love his books and will definitely be reading them to any children i have. yay eric carle and jkr!

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on March 04, 2010, 03:50 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Very nice! But what the heck books such as Twilight and You Are What You Eat are doing in that list?

Posted by Mr. Brightside on March 04, 2010, 04:42 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

Interesting choices. Quite a wide survey range, from 16-64. I would suspect that if the range was narrowed down to 16-34, some of the more unusual choices would be left off. But who knows?

And while it’s nice to see, I’m not sure how Half-Blood Prince ended up as one of the choices for best bed time story. I’m with Nealie; HBP is not what I think of when I think bedtime story.

Posted by vespasian68967 on March 04, 2010, 04:44 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

wow grate

Posted by alicia00 on March 04, 2010, 04:51 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Well, in my opinion I agree that Harry Potter should take the first place. Harry Potter has been around for ages and now it should stay longer!

Wand_thumb

When I was little I was read the first 2 as bedtime stories!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 04, 2010, 05:13 PM report to moderator
Snape_icons_collage_thumb

I introduced my brother to the series and he became almost as obsessed as I am!!! He loves it… his fav character is McGonagall. (Me: What???) Twilight made the list and I’m surprised!!! =)

Posted by jhlovesmusic {^HISS^} on March 04, 2010, 05:25 PM report to moderator

I’ve read to books easily 10 + times myself. I started reading the first one to my 14 month old son last week (as I was so tired of reading the Hungry Caterpiller). At least it keeps us entertained, even if he won’t sit still.

Posted by Lisee_Lu on March 04, 2010, 06:36 PM report to moderator
Leaky_ron_icon_thumb
20305 Points

YES. SO AGREE WITH NUMBER ONE. TWILIGHT THOUGH WILL FALL FLAAAAAAAAT.

Posted by friendofblob on March 04, 2010, 06:45 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I wouldn’t think that Twilight would be an appropriate book to pass on the the younger generations…

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on March 04, 2010, 06:46 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

Yesss Harry Potter is #1, which it should be :)

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on March 04, 2010, 08:20 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

I must certainly will read all the HP books to my children, when they’re born. And I will read it from the same books I read, so they can realise that histories as amazing as those and that demonstrate such wonderful values are, indeed, timeless.

Posted by Madam Snape on March 04, 2010, 09:01 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Nice!! this is so exciting..quality always wins out =)

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on March 04, 2010, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Awesome! I would so totally pass down/read HP to my kids or younger siblings. I’m not sure if I would pass down some of the other books on this list… Twilight? Eh, not really thinking so :)

Posted by da_member0808 on March 04, 2010, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

HP books were written for children, so it made perfect sense to have them be bedtime stories.

Posted by leigia on March 04, 2010, 09:59 PM report to moderator

Nick turned away from the window and looked mournfully at Harry. "He won't come back."[br]"Who?"[br]"Sirius Black," said Nick.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014