Harry Potter Books Make Top Book to Pass On and Bed Time Story Lists

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 04, 2010, 11:52 AM

A World Book Day survey has found that the Harry Potter series ranks as the top book readers would pass on to younger generations.  The BBC reports that more than 1,000 Britons aged 16-64 were surveyed as part of this poll, which ranked such other books as The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini as novels people would likely pass down.  The full list is as follows:

1. The Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
  2. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
  3. Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions - New Scientist
  4. A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
  5. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
  6. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
  7. 9/11 Commission Report - National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States
  8. You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life - Dr Gillian McKeith
  9. The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  10. Dreams From My Father - Barack Obama
On a related note, the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince novel was ranked in a list of the best bed time stories from a survey of parents with children aged 2-11.  As the Telegraph reports, this poll was also carried out in conjunction with World Book Day, and listed the sixth Potter book in 19th place.  The classic The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle claimed the top spot in this poll.  The full listing of books can be found at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

15657683_thumb

This is awesome. I’m so glad to hear that teenagers, giving their choice to Harry Potter, are still capable of recognizing which the true values of life are, and are willing to pass them on to the next generation. I’m really confident in a better future, better because of us.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on March 04, 2010, 12:45 PM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

It is awesome that HP is #1 at the top of this list :)
HP really is timeless and passing the book down through the generations will ensure that HP lives on. I’m a little surprized at some of the books in the top ten but hey what do I know … lol
In the list of bed time books where HP was voted #19 it has been beaten by some worthy opponents I guess like Winnie The Pooh, Dr Seuss books and Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales. Maybe in a few years from now HP will be classed as a classic like those books, too :)

Posted by Moose_Starr on March 04, 2010, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Untitled_thumb

Wow, that’s awesome :D
I wonder what kids and teens 30 years from now will talk about when the topic of HP comes up.. Well, I guess we’ll have to find out!

Posted by Deceit2nd on March 04, 2010, 12:59 PM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

The Harry Potter Books have always been on the top of my list of books I am going to read to my future children, everynight before bed. Hopefully they will love the series as much as I do! YAY for Harry Potter!

Posted by Rosie016 on March 04, 2010, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Hikerpugs1_thumb

Most of the other books mentioned in the list aren’t ones I’d give to a kid, except HP – you can start them on that much earlier than the others. PLUS the added benefit of their examples of integrity, kindness, etc which I don’t really see in, say, Twilight :)

Posted by rosepug on March 04, 2010, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

mwahaha. Harry Potter makes number 1. as should the case be always. very proud and glad to hear that

Posted by MaggieNoise on March 04, 2010, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

This is how Harry Potter is going to live on! Exposing the series and the books to new generations is going to keep the interest!

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on March 04, 2010, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Abd4_day_without_fusion_thumb

That list made me want to go dust off my Rhold Dahl collection. That man was brilliant.

Posted by Elizabeth on March 04, 2010, 02:33 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

great list and the very hungry caterpillar is not better than HP im sorry i love it but Eric carle is no JK

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on March 04, 2010, 02:44 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_chamber_of_secrets_thumb

woo gz! I wonder what the lead was over Dan brown

Posted by BellatrixGranger on March 04, 2010, 02:53 PM report to moderator

The 9/11 Commsion Report & You Are What You Eat?! Really?! Not things I’d want to pass down but what do I know? Yay to HP for being #1!

Posted by lazykitty on March 04, 2010, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Reliquiasdelamuerte_thumb

Yeah, Harry Potter is the perfect book to pass on to younger generations. But Twilight? Really…

Posted by IHeartHarryPotter on March 04, 2010, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Avpm_thumb

That’s great, because I have every intention to pass my HP books on to my kids in the future. And I think that the books that that beat Harry Potter for Best Bedtime Story are great. I remember reading those books when I was young and they really are great books.

Posted by NobleHouseofBlack on March 04, 2010, 03:13 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I take this as a good sign that, contrary to the claims of many envious literary critics who naturally assume that popularity is inversely proportional to quality; Harry Potter will become a classic with remarkable ease.

Posted by Kirk on March 04, 2010, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Wow, and I’m just reading HP to my younger brother!

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on March 04, 2010, 03:32 PM report to moderator

"I still can't work out how you two got the best-looking girls in the year," muttered Dean.[br]"Animal magnetism," said Ron gloomily, pulling stray threads out of his cuffs.