Bloomsbury to Repackage Harry Potter Novels with 'Signature' Edition Covers

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 30, 2010, 10:28 AM

This Fall, UK Harry Potter publisher Bloomsbury will be repackaging the seven Harry Potter novels with new Signature Edition covers, the Bookseller reports.  High Res photos of these signature edition covers for the Harry Potter series can be found right here in our image galleries.

Set to be published on November 1, these editions will be available exclusively in paperback format and are aimed to "appeal to the next generation of readers who did not 'grow up' with Harry Potter and who have not yet experienced the thrill of life at Hogwarts."  Illustrations for the seven signature editions are the work of inocut artist Clare Melinsky, who is quoted as saying:
"I was delighted and excited to be asked to illustrate the covers for such massively famous books—and seven of them! It was top secret for the best part of a year."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Me_thumb

If they are appealing to the next generation they should be more exciting! Like the ones they have now are fine with me! They were what attracted my attention when I was little.

Posted by WillowEve ^HISS^ on March 30, 2010, 09:00 PM report to moderator
Me_halloween_thumb

I really like the covers, they don’t have the same sort of adventurous feel as the original covers, but they are still very pretty.

Posted by HugsForWizards on March 30, 2010, 09:12 PM report to moderator

I want to defend the title font, at least: it’s Harry’s handwriting, isn’t it? It looks really similar to his handwriting in Fantastic Beasts. I know it’s not the signature font with the lightening bolt, but if they were going to use something different I think that Harry’s handwriting is a cool alternative.

Posted by Artemis1979 on March 30, 2010, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Picture4_052_thumb

I have to agree with everyone else. When I saw this last night I was thinking ‘Oh great, Bloomsbury wants me to go broke’. But then I saw the covers and quickly changed my mind. They don’t do anything for me at all.

On the other hand, I have been meaning to get myself a third set to take on the train and such that I can be less careful with. This could be the set to do it with. lol

Posted by joelface on March 31, 2010, 01:53 AM report to moderator

Hmm.. Look kind of ordinary..
Atleast its a great book :D

Posted by Rodinius Black on March 31, 2010, 03:30 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

i think the biggest problem is the amount of white space, I feel as if the overall design is at fault. If the illustrations were a bigger part of the cover they might make more impact. Looking at the picture of the Deathly Hallows cover illustration at the top of the news post, it looks much nicer than it does on the actual cover with the title and I am sure it is because it makes more of an impression when not surrounded by acres of white.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 31, 2010, 06:18 AM report to moderator

These are for us UK-ers remember, and we’ve never had the Harry Potter – lightning design thing on ours books here Lunaspecs.

Posted by pipkin3 on March 31, 2010, 06:32 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

It’s hard to believe they are repackaging these books ALREADY! Wow. I haven’t seen them yet … going to look now.

Harry_snl_thumb

Okay, I agree with Artemis1979 … I like the title font because it looks like Harry’s signature. And as far as the artwork — well, it is definitely different, but it sounds like that was the idea! (The only one I don’t “get” is OoP.)

Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

It makes it look like a classical book, that’s what I like about it. But they’re really missing out on some points. I just don’t know where.

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on March 31, 2010, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Nice! Want!

Posted by Smitch on March 31, 2010, 09:43 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2013-07-08_at_3

it’s not really Potter… I know this might sound a bit stupid, but they remind me more of chocolate wrappers than harry potter book covers!! I think Mary GrandPre did a better job. but at least she put in the effort.

Posted by Scarhead on March 31, 2010, 10:28 AM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

Eh, the art is quite boring, and the white background surely doesn’t help. It just doesn’t seem to catch the right Harry Potter atmosphere.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on March 31, 2010, 10:51 AM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

Also, am I the only one to find it… odd, that they choose a white background, whereas the Twilight books have a black one? I might not like these artworks, yet I can’t help giving them some credit for the subtlety here. ;P

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on March 31, 2010, 11:01 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

I agree with whoever said at least it’s a great book lol. But, the problem in my opinion is, they’re aiming these new books at people that dont know HP. I just dont find these covers exciting or intriguing or anything. But, I also agree with Moglet that, it’s the design that doesnt help because it’s like a tiny little illustration on a white cover. If the illustration filled the front cover it likely would look a lot better or, if there was something else on the cover to frame the illustration. But, it’s just stuck there in the middle of nothing.

Posted by Moose_Starr on March 31, 2010, 01:28 PM report to moderator

"I'VE BEEN STUCK AT THE DURSLEYS' FOR A MONTH! AND I'VE HANDLED MORE THAN YOU TWO'VE EVER MANAGED AND DUMBLEDORE KNOWS IT -- WHO SAVED THE SORCERER'S STONE? WHO GOT RID OF RIDDLE? WHO SAVED BOTH YOUR NECKS FROM THE DEMENTORS?"

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014