Bloomsbury to Repackage Harry Potter Novels with 'Signature' Edition Covers

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 30, 2010, 10:28 AM

This Fall, UK Harry Potter publisher Bloomsbury will be repackaging the seven Harry Potter novels with new Signature Edition covers, the Bookseller reports.  High Res photos of these signature edition covers for the Harry Potter series can be found right here in our image galleries.

Set to be published on November 1, these editions will be available exclusively in paperback format and are aimed to "appeal to the next generation of readers who did not 'grow up' with Harry Potter and who have not yet experienced the thrill of life at Hogwarts."  Illustrations for the seven signature editions are the work of inocut artist Clare Melinsky, who is quoted as saying:
"I was delighted and excited to be asked to illustrate the covers for such massively famous books—and seven of them! It was top secret for the best part of a year."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Picture_6_thumb

Wow… So I’m one of what, three people, who actually kind of likes these? I do get what everyone is saying, after reading all the comments, but I think they’re sort of cool. They’re not anything like the UK covers (which I grew up with and absolutely love) or the US covers (which I don’t like as much as UK but which are so, SO pretty) but I think they’re pretty cool! Yeah it’s different, but it’s… nice.

I TOTALLY AGREE that Jo should have illustrated them though! I mean, maybe not this whole new signature series thing, but maybe a limited collector’s edition type thing? drools Oh, my god, that would be INCREDIBLE.

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on March 30, 2010, 05:14 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

sorry like the originals……i dont like them at all. really sorry!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on March 30, 2010, 05:25 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

OMG JO SHOULD HAVE ILLSUTRATED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOTALLY AGREE!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on March 30, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

i like them, but at the same time i don’t. i dunno. i’m iffy.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on March 30, 2010, 05:47 PM report to moderator

I prefer the Scholastic illustrations, too. And I love my black, glossy Bloomsbury covers!

Posted by Dawna on March 30, 2010, 06:10 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

oooh. cool. i think its great that they are making new covers! the covers are so whimsical. kind of 1950ish. hopefully it will entice new comers to stop and look at them because they have never seen those covers before. there is an entire new generation of kids who have never had the joy of reading harry potter yet because they werent born when it came out! its a completely new take on harry potter.

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on March 30, 2010, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

The ones for PA and CS are kinda okay imo, and in a way I like the style, but not as cover art for HP. At first I wasn’t sure what it reminded me of, but I think the style is a bit similar to the cover art of 1950s childrens books (not that I have seen many of those, but sometimes you see something like that in a secondhand bookstore). And HP is anything but ‘old-fashioned’. I don’t think these covers will especially appeal to children. I would like to have seen John Howe (who did the cover for Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash a.m.o.t. like Tolkien) or Anne Sudworth or Mike Wimmer who did the covers for The Lost Years of Merlin or someone else (there are many fantasy covers I like, but I can’t name the artists). Like many of you, I would prefer a bit more magic in the covers.
Btw, I didn’t like the original UK covers of PS and CS either. As to the ‘darker’ covers I do like the UK adult covers, and the Russian special set covers
(http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/211439).

Posted by Tarana on March 30, 2010, 06:26 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

Oh yeah, it would be great if Jo did the covers and/or some illustrations. Let’s hope there will be loads of her drawings in the ‘Scottish book’.
And btw I do like the signature-like writing of HP on these books.
I found an example of the what I meant by old-fashioned childrens book covers (well, almost)

Posted by Tarana on March 30, 2010, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

I like them! Am I the only one? They remind me of drawings from old children’s books. Very nostalgic :)
Sirius doesn’t get to be cover on his own book though. The poor guy can’t catch a break :(

Still, nothing beats the adult editions…

Posted by Iceholic on March 30, 2010, 06:55 PM report to moderator
Picture_324_thumb

Hmmmm… The artwork is mildly good, especially on PoA, but I really don’t like the design of the cover in general. What’s with the gold script for Harry Potter? I understand these are marketed towards non-readers, but they should still stay true to the fun and magic of the series! THAT’S what will get people to read, not these weird covers. And I hate that the cover is just white, with a picture. The originals are so rich and full of cover, both the UK and American versions.

Posted by Scribbled [WBM] on March 30, 2010, 06:58 PM report to moderator
___thumb

I preffer the current ones, thank you.
It looks like the artist of the covers the books have now really put a big effort in it, and to be replaced with those simple draws, that frankly, I could draw better, it’s kind of insulting and they’re not even as good as the ones that are there now.

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on March 30, 2010, 07:06 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

Dreadful! I liked the 3-7 UK covers better than the US covers – but these don’t fit the tone of the series at all!

Posted by Agrippa1 on March 30, 2010, 07:19 PM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

Sorry, but this isn’t about the ‘next generation’. It’s called greed. Pretty sad. As if the cover of a book could possible be important for Harry Potter book. Pathetic. They should be ashamed.

Posted by taoist1 on March 30, 2010, 08:03 PM report to moderator
Keep_calm_thumb

I don’t really like it I mean it doesn’t have the LIGHTNING BOLT!!!!! VERY uncool!

Posted by Narglesarereal on March 30, 2010, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

What fantastically designed covers! I might have to order some to be shipped here to the United States!

Posted by Kirk on March 30, 2010, 08:47 PM report to moderator

"You know what?" Ron murmured, looking over at the bar with enthusiasm. "We could order anything we liked in here, I bet that bloke would sell us anything, he wouldn't care. I've always wanted to try firewhisky --"[br]"You -- are -- a -- [i]prefect,"[/i]

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014