Bloomsbury to Repackage Harry Potter Novels with 'Signature' Edition Covers

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 30, 2010, 10:28 AM

This Fall, UK Harry Potter publisher Bloomsbury will be repackaging the seven Harry Potter novels with new Signature Edition covers, the Bookseller reports.  High Res photos of these signature edition covers for the Harry Potter series can be found right here in our image galleries.

Set to be published on November 1, these editions will be available exclusively in paperback format and are aimed to "appeal to the next generation of readers who did not 'grow up' with Harry Potter and who have not yet experienced the thrill of life at Hogwarts."  Illustrations for the seven signature editions are the work of inocut artist Clare Melinsky, who is quoted as saying:
"I was delighted and excited to be asked to illustrate the covers for such massively famous books—and seven of them! It was top secret for the best part of a year."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

hmm,interesting to see new coversfor the books,but i must say i’m not too tempted to buy them(i’m fine with my 2 sets XD).

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on March 30, 2010, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Please excuse me making another comment so soon, but looking at them again, the thing that strikes me is that the colours seem so cold, and because the images are also very stiff (and I do understand that they are meant to be like prints) it just seems way too cool and unengaging, they remind me of posters from an era like Art Deco, except those often had a bit more colour, but they were very restrained designs.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 30, 2010, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

top secret…yes
a great idea…maybe
better than the US Scholastic editions…never

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on March 30, 2010, 02:15 PM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

I think they’re quite pretty, actually, but I agree that they should have kept the traditional Harry Potter font.

I wonder why they aren’t releasing them in hardback though?

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on March 30, 2010, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

Liked the dementor gripping its head in PoA. Didn’t like some of the other artworks since they looked so blah.

However, why did they chose to use a cursive style for Harry Potter and use ordinary font for the second half of the title? I liked the American version that had Harry Potter as the unique font while the second half of the title was cursive. It’s almost as though they’re copying the American version, except for in a slightly reverse order.

Posted by leigia on March 30, 2010, 02:28 PM report to moderator

But…the covers are awesome. Why are so many people dissing them? They look more mature, but isn’t that a good thing? These are mature books, we all know that. They’re much, much more than just a children’s story. I don’t think you need cover-to-cover colorful illustration to convey that sense of magic and mystery. And remember, this is Bloomsbury, not Scholastic, so there’s no reason to expect the lightning bolt logo. The Bloomsbury editions were never as cartoony as the Scholastic ones. Just saying.

Hey, at least it’s not as bad as the “adult” editions Scholastic did. Now THOSE were lame! :P

Posted by silverglass19 on March 30, 2010, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_70_thumb

I don’t like them at all. If I’d never read the HP series, and I saw the books with these covers, I’d be put off from buying them and reading them.. I now you’re not supposed to judge a book by it’s cover, but trust me! a good cover really does help in the selling!!

Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on March 30, 2010, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Avatars_bookauthor_bookart_october08_02_thumb

If I had never read Harry Potter, these covers would kill my desire to do so. They are not inviting at all…I’ve seen hand drawn middle school book report covers have more appeal. Definitely not a good move.

Posted by asmindrael on March 30, 2010, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

I like the drawings and I know Clare Melinksy must be good at illustrating other books but for HP it’s just too …. simple.

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on March 30, 2010, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Avatars_bookauthor_bookart_october08_02_thumb

My previous comment is not to insult the skill of the artist, the artwork itself is great…there is just a blandness in the presentation.

Posted by asmindrael on March 30, 2010, 03:32 PM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

These are very different, but I sort of like to see different interpretations of the book covers, might grab the attention of a different audience??

Posted by Rosie016 on March 30, 2010, 03:41 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

I wouldn’t really say that they are bad…, just different. I like the POA and DH covers but that’s just it. The original British covers are still the best for me. They seem a bit like the Final Fantasy games box art

Posted by Mr. Brightside on March 30, 2010, 04:46 PM report to moderator
Owlsmall_thumb

Wow I too am in the minority hpbruin!

I think the illustrations are beautiful and really original. They are not the classic style that we are used to but I think they are really lovely and reflect each book in a nice way. But I definately don’t like the white cover they hav chosen, the layout is a little odd, they could have picked s better background to make the illustrations stand out better and look less washed out and pastelly.

The paper looks nice though. I think I’ll buy one just for the hell of it.

Posted by marzipan86 on March 30, 2010, 04:51 PM report to moderator
23584_1172533568521_1683498920_339704_2772374_s_1__thumb

it looks like its just been copied from clipart, unimpressed here :(

Posted by ThomasAzocar on March 30, 2010, 04:57 PM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

i like the older version better

Posted by LilLadySnape on March 30, 2010, 04:59 PM report to moderator

As [the egg] rose in the jar it cracked open and a hummingbird emerged, which was carried to the very top of the jar, but as it fell on the draft, its feathers became bedraggled and damp again, and by the time it had been borne back to the bottom of the j

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014