Bloomsbury to Repackage Harry Potter Novels with 'Signature' Edition Covers

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 30, 2010, 10:28 AM

This Fall, UK Harry Potter publisher Bloomsbury will be repackaging the seven Harry Potter novels with new Signature Edition covers, the Bookseller reports.  High Res photos of these signature edition covers for the Harry Potter series can be found right here in our image galleries.

Set to be published on November 1, these editions will be available exclusively in paperback format and are aimed to "appeal to the next generation of readers who did not 'grow up' with Harry Potter and who have not yet experienced the thrill of life at Hogwarts."  Illustrations for the seven signature editions are the work of inocut artist Clare Melinsky, who is quoted as saying:
"I was delighted and excited to be asked to illustrate the covers for such massively famous books—and seven of them! It was top secret for the best part of a year."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Dd_thumb

Wow… truly dreadful… the artwork is mildly interesting, but the overall design is completely “un-magical”… must have been designed by the worst sort of muggles!

Posted by VermontWizard on March 30, 2010, 11:06 AM report to moderator

Wow…I designed a “special edition cover art” project when I was in college in 2006…it’s weird that it’s actually starting to happen….

Posted by Gryffindor51 on March 30, 2010, 11:16 AM report to moderator
Harryhedwig_thumb

What?? It doesn’t even have the famous font with the lightning bolt? Very unimpressive.

Posted by LunaSpecs on March 30, 2010, 11:18 AM report to moderator

Is the link in ‘found right here in our image galleries.’ is the new covers of HP,cause if it is I agree with VermontWizard, it is “un-magical”… I like the Scholastic books of HP by Mary GrandPre…

Posted by ***ROAR***elysssagranger****HPDH**** on March 30, 2010, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Panda_thumb

Weird. :( Pure weird.

But I never did like the Deathly Hallows cover, so it’s okay. But why exactly id the dark mark on the Goblet of Fire cover so damn colourful?? It’s completely misleading.

I’ll get used to them eventually.

Posted by FilmGirl27 *Team Weasley!* (ROAR!!) on March 30, 2010, 11:22 AM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

I too agree with VermontWizard—totally unmagical. And talk about spoilers: the cover for DH. (But then I never did care for the original British covers anyway.)

Posted by izziewitch on March 30, 2010, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Wicked_poster_by_pixarjunkie_thumb

I’m trying to decide if I like them or not. They’re okay, but… I dunno. Something about them isn’t right. My favorite is the one for PoA.

Posted by Scylla on March 30, 2010, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Its kinda strange. Whats with the Harry Potter in cursivey flowy writing? That is really odd!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 30, 2010, 11:38 AM report to moderator

I guess they did say that these covers aren’t aimed at us… and I guess if they are trying to appeal to people who haven’t read Harry Potter yet… and the only people who haven’t read Harry Potter are surely some of the most boring people on the planet… I guess they are alright. The artwork is okay, it’s just not… Harry. There is a complete lack of Epicness to them, they feel almost like notebooks. Truthfully they should have gotten Jo to do the artwork if this is the feel they wanted. THAT would have started something.

Posted by pottermate on March 30, 2010, 11:42 AM report to moderator

I agree with Scylla… they are alright but not great. The one for PS is just hideous but other than that they arent all that bad. As long as we never get one that has Daniel Radcliffe on the cover we are ok.

Posted by no1hpfan on March 30, 2010, 11:43 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

Hmmmm…I don’t find these covers very inspiring. Seems a little too “blah” & over simplified for the wonderful magic within. Great honor for Ms. Melinsky – just not my cup of tea.

Posted by Lillylove on March 30, 2010, 11:44 AM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

I’m still waiting for ebook editions of the books.

Posted by vespasian68967 on March 30, 2010, 11:47 AM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

It’s beautiful…but where’s the scar and everything HP. The drawings are truely lovley but somthings missing….

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on March 30, 2010, 11:51 AM report to moderator

i also agree with rettophantom… it isnt Harry potter..It doesn’t fit in…It’s like they or she didn’t read the book and they just ask her to draw that kind of blahblahblah….I can accept it as a book cover but not with Harry Potter but i guess should practice to accept it because it is , still, a Harry Potter book..

Posted by ***ROAR***elysssagranger****HPDH**** on March 30, 2010, 11:56 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Looks pretty lame to me

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on March 30, 2010, 11:58 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

[i]"A study of Hogwarts prefects and their later careers,"[/i] Ron read aloud off the back cover. "That sounds [i]fascinating[/i]...."[br]"Go away," Percy snapped.