David Heyman Promises Deathly Hallows will be "Even More Epic" in 3-D

Heyman Interviews
Posted by: Melissa
March 29, 2010, 12:09 PM

MTV has posted a lengthy and informative interview with Potter films producer David Heyman today discussing the film to bring both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to 3-D. Heyman as usual is very frank about the decisions, the effect of films like Avatar and Up, and the economics of shooting the entire film with 3-D technology versus converting it in post-production. Highlights:

Clearly, the success of 3-D movies has had an impact on the economy and making of films. We saw an opportunity and grabbed it. Also, "Harry Potter" itself has so many exciting possibilities for 3-D, both in things coming at you and also just in making that world seem even more epic than it already is. "Harry Potter" is already an epic film, but having that added dimension will make it even more epic, and that seemed like an opportunity that was too hard to pass up.
One of the things I really loved about watching James Cameron's approach to 3-D in "Avatar" was that it wasn't about things coming out at you all the time. It was actually about adding great depth. You wouldn't want to overuse stuff coming at you. We haven't begun the process of converting it yet. We are doing some tests and looking at various things, but we aren't done with any sequence yet.
I think that there's no question that shooting a film in 3-D is a great thing. I think it was just impractical. It would have taken much, much too long. Shooting in 3-D is slower. Some people say shooting in 3-D is the only way to go, and some people are more open to the other. It'll be interesting as it develops to see whether shooting in 3-D becomes the norm or not, because clearly it's more expensive, partly because shooting takes longer.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman Interviews News

Since my eyes do not focus properly 3-D means nothing to me. Wish it weren’t that way as everyone says Avatar was amazing.

Posted by hewy on March 29, 2010, 07:30 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It does not take a genius to realize the only reason Warner Brothers elected to distribute the film in 3D is that studios can justify demanding higher ticket prices for them and in this way can reap a greater profit. Please do not claim that you are doing it to enhance the film. You are doing it for money, the same reason that you decided to adapt the book into two films. There is nothing wrong with the pursuit of profit – just admit it for what it is and not try to conceal it under superficial reasons. That said, I do believe that they can succeed in transforming the film into the 3D medium, considering the success of Avatar and Alice in Wonderland. These films proved that 3D can work, so long as the makers of the film are willing to not let the 3D capacity dominate the movie and be the only memorable component of it.

Posted by Kirk on March 29, 2010, 08:26 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Soo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Littleburrow_thumb

They only camp for two chapters of the entire book. Get a grip.

Posted by decarus on March 29, 2010, 10:13 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I work at a place where it is said that the only thing constant there is change. I’ve learned to complain but be willing to give the change a chance. My hope is that they will make the movie bright enough to see the people and things in the scenes. It would also be more interesting to see less of the colors stormy blue, black and white in the films. If a scene is not in the book don’t put it in the film when you can essentially put in a scene that actually is in the film. I think 3d will be interesting and I think it’s also great that people will have a 2d choice as well.

Posted by molly43 on March 29, 2010, 11:45 PM report to moderator
Toby_metal_thumb

I do not trust this man after the end of hbp.

Posted by splinch on March 29, 2010, 11:47 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

Alice in 3D wasn’t good at all. It was just too distracting and took attention away from the story and the typical Burton’s ambiance. Good thing there’s file sharing as no way I’d pay to watch the film again.

Posted by Iceholic on March 30, 2010, 02:55 AM report to moderator
Neil_gaiman_sex_god_thumb

Watching 3D films always makes me ill and the number of films being released in 3D is actually quite a concern to me. I’m a big film viewer and I hope that the 3D element does not overtake film making too much as it would limit the films I would be able to see, which in terms of money is a silly thing to do as it alienates part of the audience and results in lost profits. Which is bad.

Plus I never found 3D that impressive, even before I started vomitting.

Posted by Lady Carli Black on March 30, 2010, 03:15 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_6_40_thumb

avater was awesome with all the details and i think using it in harry potter will enhance it. ill probably watch both versions anyways :)

Posted by nox avis on March 30, 2010, 03:40 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Even more epic huh, well I truly hope it is. As for me I’ll be seeing it in both, 2D first then 3D.

Posted by LunaLuver on March 30, 2010, 04:41 AM report to moderator
Img_0409note_thumb

..I’m sure this will be fantastic in 3-D…but I would watch either way..

Posted by Fayebeline on March 30, 2010, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

Can’t see 3D, so it’ll be a waste for me. Nevertheless, trying to copy the success of other 3D movies is lame and boring. Avatar (never saw it) was made to be 3D, so it’s highly doubtful that DH will succeed as well as Avatar.

Posted by leigia on March 30, 2010, 02:33 PM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

I agree that Alice in 3D was terrible. It was very distracting at times and almost made the film seem blurry. I don’t know if those who have bad eyesight are used to seeing blurriness and didn’t notice, but i thought it was really bad.

If people want to see it in 3D that is fine. I will not.

Posted by decarus on March 30, 2010, 02:35 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I don’t like things in 3D either, but I’ve never seen a whole movie that way, just the short things at theme parks. It makes me a bit ill, to be honest. So if they ever get to a point of showing a film only in 3D, it’ll be one that I don’t go see.

I loved Avatar, but didn’t see it in 3D, though I heard that people liked it. Haven’t seen Alice yet, but I plan to see a regular version anyway.

Like anything else that is fairly new, they will experiment with it and finally arrive at a good and reasonable use of it. At least I hope so. Right now I think there are many who are enthralled with the technology of it and sometimes forget (like Lucas did with the later Star Wars movies) that it still is the story and the acting that count more than the special effects.

Posted by Eeyore on March 30, 2010, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

Get ready to empty your wallets folks:

Posted by Iceholic on March 30, 2010, 04:44 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

They said good-bye to the Grangers, who were leaving the pub for the Muggle street on the other side; Mr. Weasley started to ask them how bus stops worked, but stopped quickly at the look on Mrs. Weasley's face.