David Heyman Promises Deathly Hallows will be "Even More Epic" in 3-D

Heyman Interviews
Posted by: Melissa
March 29, 2010, 12:09 PM

MTV has posted a lengthy and informative interview with Potter films producer David Heyman today discussing the film to bring both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to 3-D. Heyman as usual is very frank about the decisions, the effect of films like Avatar and Up, and the economics of shooting the entire film with 3-D technology versus converting it in post-production. Highlights:

Clearly, the success of 3-D movies has had an impact on the economy and making of films. We saw an opportunity and grabbed it. Also, "Harry Potter" itself has so many exciting possibilities for 3-D, both in things coming at you and also just in making that world seem even more epic than it already is. "Harry Potter" is already an epic film, but having that added dimension will make it even more epic, and that seemed like an opportunity that was too hard to pass up.
One of the things I really loved about watching James Cameron's approach to 3-D in "Avatar" was that it wasn't about things coming out at you all the time. It was actually about adding great depth. You wouldn't want to overuse stuff coming at you. We haven't begun the process of converting it yet. We are doing some tests and looking at various things, but we aren't done with any sequence yet.
I think that there's no question that shooting a film in 3-D is a great thing. I think it was just impractical. It would have taken much, much too long. Shooting in 3-D is slower. Some people say shooting in 3-D is the only way to go, and some people are more open to the other. It'll be interesting as it develops to see whether shooting in 3-D becomes the norm or not, because clearly it's more expensive, partly because shooting takes longer.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman Interviews News

26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

cant wait

Posted by LilLadySnape on March 29, 2010, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Me_and_dan_orig_thumb

I’m so excited!!!!

Posted by GinnyPotter811 on March 29, 2010, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

that will be grate

Posted by alicia00 on March 29, 2010, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

Yeah. Retrofitted 3D is such a great idea. Why, it’s almost as awesome as, say, a coloured version of Casablanca. Because, cleary, we need not “waste all the money and time” to produce the base material in such a way that its application in this latest return of the 3D fad will actually work out nicely. Much better to slap it on later. Plus, I do love me some 30% of colour loss – luckily that is provided by the “modern” 3D glasses. And wearing them atop my regular glasses is always such a laugh. Boy, do we all laugh whenever they topple into my coke cup. Ever such good times.

Oh, look, I found a five pound note… BACK OFF, WB! Geez, some people and money, eh?

Posted by NinnyTreetops on March 29, 2010, 03:49 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

‘epic’ is such his word…

Posted by MaggieNoise on March 29, 2010, 04:09 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

I don’t think i am interested in HP 3D. It sounds bad.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on March 29, 2010, 04:09 PM report to moderator

Your complains are senseless, if you are not interested in 3D, you can always choose to watch the 2D version.
To say it sounds bad it’s senseless too, when you haven’t even seen a teaser trailer yet. I think it can be awesome, with all the creatures, dragons, spells, the castle… all of this magical stuff in 3D? It can be amazing.

Posted by ethanHP on March 29, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

I am sorry ethan, but he just wrote it sounds bad. You wrote that it could be awesome. If it is senseless to write it sounds bad because we have yet to see a trailer, then it is equally senseless to write that it could be awesome.

Regardless, i won’t see it in 3D because i don’t want to.

Posted by decarus on March 29, 2010, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

I can’t wait till the movei actually comes out! All I know is that I have to watch the movie or else I’ll regret it all my life!

Me_halloween_thumb

I’m very skeptical about 3D Deathly Hallows, but It might work in 3D if it adds depth to the film, instead of having random things pop out at your face, as David Heyman said.

Posted by HugsForWizards on March 29, 2010, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I liked Avatar but also liked how it wasn’t a 3D movie that had things pop out at you just because it was 3D. So I hope Harry in 3D will be based on depth as well. :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on March 29, 2010, 05:50 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

My cousin and I both aren’t crazy about HP being 3D, but as long as they’re still giving us the option to see it in 2D as well then we’re fine with it. We’re planning on seeing DH in 2D first then the second or third time we’ll go see it in 3D. I feel like the 3D effect will be way too distracting for the first time seeing the film. I want to be able to pay attention to the story itself and only the story the first time or two I see it. I know Part 1 will be released in both 2D and 3D, but I’m just really hoping they do the same with Part 2 as well and don’t decide to just do 3D only.

Posted by bella vita on March 29, 2010, 06:19 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

Posted by bella vita on March 29, 2010, 06:19 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

My problem with 3-D is I can’t see how it’s going to work in Part 1. Let’s be honest, most of that film will take place in the forest. Also, Yates said that he planned on using more hand-held cameras in this one. Can you imagine hand-held work in 3-D? People are going to puke all over the place. I plan on seeing it in 2-D, because I just can’t see how making it 3-D is really going to improve the film, unless the action scenes are so boring you need 3-D to spice it up (and if that’s a case, the film is in big trouble).

Posted by mollywobble on March 29, 2010, 06:22 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

!!!

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on March 29, 2010, 06:29 PM report to moderator

"Godfather?" sputtered Uncle Vernon. "You haven't got a godfather!"[br]"Yes, I have," said Harry brightly. "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014