David Heyman Promises Deathly Hallows will be "Even More Epic" in 3-D

Heyman Interviews
Posted by: Melissa
March 29, 2010, 12:09 PM

MTV has posted a lengthy and informative interview with Potter films producer David Heyman today discussing the film to bring both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to 3-D. Heyman as usual is very frank about the decisions, the effect of films like Avatar and Up, and the economics of shooting the entire film with 3-D technology versus converting it in post-production. Highlights:

Clearly, the success of 3-D movies has had an impact on the economy and making of films. We saw an opportunity and grabbed it. Also, "Harry Potter" itself has so many exciting possibilities for 3-D, both in things coming at you and also just in making that world seem even more epic than it already is. "Harry Potter" is already an epic film, but having that added dimension will make it even more epic, and that seemed like an opportunity that was too hard to pass up.
One of the things I really loved about watching James Cameron's approach to 3-D in "Avatar" was that it wasn't about things coming out at you all the time. It was actually about adding great depth. You wouldn't want to overuse stuff coming at you. We haven't begun the process of converting it yet. We are doing some tests and looking at various things, but we aren't done with any sequence yet.
I think that there's no question that shooting a film in 3-D is a great thing. I think it was just impractical. It would have taken much, much too long. Shooting in 3-D is slower. Some people say shooting in 3-D is the only way to go, and some people are more open to the other. It'll be interesting as it develops to see whether shooting in 3-D becomes the norm or not, because clearly it's more expensive, partly because shooting takes longer.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman Interviews News

15657683_thumb

I didn’t like Avatar that much, but I agree with Heyman on the fact that it wasn’t just “things coming at you” – unlike most 3D movies, I’d say. I really hope they will follow that route with Deathly Hallows, and I can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on March 29, 2010, 12:24 PM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

WOW!!! I loved Avatar!!!! and I truly think it would be AWESOME to Have Deathly Hallows done that way!!!! lol

Posted by Mistic Willow on March 29, 2010, 12:27 PM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on March 29, 2010, 12:28 PM report to moderator

It will be interesting to see. Smart man, he just made sure I will see the movie twice: 3D and in a regular theater!

Posted by Dawna on March 29, 2010, 12:32 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I can’t wait for Deathly Hallows to be in 3-D!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 29, 2010, 12:33 PM report to moderator
98143829_thumb
1910 Points

I can’t wait!!!

Posted by Jane_Potter on March 29, 2010, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I’ve never seen a 3D movie, so hopefully this will be great :) I’ll watch it in 2D first though.

Posted by Christine on March 29, 2010, 12:35 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Got to watch the movie in 3D as well as in a regular one!! Watching in 4D would be cool too….but never mind!! haha ;-)

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on March 29, 2010, 12:36 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

I don’t know what good it would do to shoot HP in 3-D. Whenever I imagine Hp in 3D it just doesn’t fit.

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on March 29, 2010, 02:07 PM report to moderator
1691273755a1691353847b766100513l_thumb

I’m sorry, but I still don’t like it that HP is going to ben in 3D. Even if it’s going to be amazing, it’s just not HP for me than.

Posted by qwientje on March 29, 2010, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter_thumb

It’ll be a whole new experience though, and I’m open for new experiences.. Whatever it takes for me to enjoy the last 2 films of my favorite books more, the better!!

Posted by MikeMagpuyo on March 29, 2010, 02:14 PM report to moderator
23584_1172533568521_1683498920_339704_2772374_s_1__thumb

hmm… I think it would be greeat in 3D but I really think they should keep all the details in the movie. Like in hte 6th one they missed so much from the book!

Posted by ThomasAzocar on March 29, 2010, 02:14 PM report to moderator
___thumb

I just think that there are some movies that aren’t meant to be in 3D and Harry Potter is one of them. But oh well, I’m not gonna watch it in 3D anyways, as long as I have the option to watch it in 2D it’s fine.

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on March 29, 2010, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

Money, money, money…

Posted by Iceholic on March 29, 2010, 02:53 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

Eeeeep.

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on March 29, 2010, 02:59 PM report to moderator

"Professor Dumbledore -- yesterday, when I was having my Divination exam, Professor Trelawney went very -- very strange."[br]"Indeed?" said Dumbledore. "Er -- stranger than usual, you mean?"