Dame Maggie Smith and Sir John Hurt Receive Lifetime Achievement Awards

HP Cast
Posted by: Edward
March 23, 2010, 12:13 AM

Actress Dame Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) and actor John Hurt (Ollivander) are recipients of two lifetime achievement awards presented in London this past weekend.  First, Dame Maggie Smith was honored with the 2010 Laurence Olivier Special Award, at the Laurence Olivier Awards.  A report on OfficialLondonTheater notes:

Bringing the evening to a close, last year’s Best Actress winner Margaret Tyzack presented Smith with the Special Award. Since making her stage debut in 1952, the veteran actress has appeared in over 50 stage productions in the UK and US.
Beginning her career at the Oxford Playhouse, one of her most notable stage roles came in 1960 when she played Desdemona opposite Laurence Olivier in Othello at the National Theatre. The later film adaptation won her her first Academy Award nomination and was the beginning of her illustrious reputation on both stage and film.
A clip from Dame Smith's acceptance speech can be seen right here in a montage of clips from the event.

Secondly, Sir John Hurt was presented with the lifetime achievement award at the Bradford International Film Festival.  The BBC reports that upon receiving the honor, Sir John Hurt noted his desire for a balance between large studio productions and smaller films.  Quoteage:
"It's been my constant fight all my life.  All you can do is prepare the ground. You can't just say this is how it ought to be because you've got to create a public that actually enjoys it - and therein lies the difficulties."
Many congratulations!  Thanks Wendy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP Cast News

Presentation1_normal_thumb

CONGRATULATIONS to both of them. They certainly deserve it. They’re both great actors. I love you McGonagall, you rock. LOL. I like what John said.

Good luck to both of you. :D

Posted by chRiStiNe [(ROAR)] on March 23, 2010, 12:21 AM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

WOW! Dame Maggie Smith is just AWESOME! She’s done so many films I’d loved and she’s such a wonderful actress! I remember first seing her in that Peter Pan movie with Robbie Williams and Julia Roberts from the early 90s. Loved her from the very first time! And our dear Ollivander – John Hurt – well… I haven’t seen much of him outside Harry Potter but I’m sure this is a much deserved honor.
CONGRATULATIONS!

Posted by Madam Snape on March 23, 2010, 12:35 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Congrats to them both! Maggie Smith is a marvelous actress as I have seen her in other films. Haven’t seen John Hurt in anything but HP but he does play Ollivander perfectly! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on March 23, 2010, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Dh-3_thumb

Congrats Maggie & John!!!! SOOOOOOO GLAD TO KNOW THAT U’VE RECEIVED LIFETIME ACHIVEMENT AWARDS….it makes me feel ELATED REALLY…..:)
JUST WANNA SAY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK & REALLY I MUST APPRECIATE BOTH OF U FOR UR SUPERB ACTING THE ROLES IN HP!!!
LOVE U BOTH:)

Posted by HermioneDreams on March 23, 2010, 01:23 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

oh yay! CONGRATULATIONS! They totally deserve it!! haven’t really seen John Hurt in any other roles, but I know Maggie is fantastic I’ve seen her in alot and she’s incredible! I’ve been wondering how she’s been doing lately after her cancer. BEST WISHES!!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on March 23, 2010, 01:29 AM report to moderator

Congratulations to Dame Maggie on a well deserved award….and to John Hurt as well! I just wish that the person who wrote the article had done their research. Maggie won for ‘The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie’ in 1969 (presented at the 1970 Oscars)….not 1960. :)

Posted by Maggie1234 on March 23, 2010, 01:46 AM report to moderator
Ootp-wallpaper-harry-potter-121085_800_600_thumb

congrats 2 both of u<3

Posted by atpotter on March 23, 2010, 02:22 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

CONGRATS to both of you!! Soo glad!!! :-D

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on March 23, 2010, 04:48 AM report to moderator
Llamaflyiong_thumb

Congratulations to both of them but I personally think that Maggie Smith deserves it a little bit more because she is such a strong woman and an amazing actress.

Posted by lurking_llama on March 23, 2010, 06:25 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Congrats! Many Congrats to both!!! Especially to Maggie Smith! she is one of my favourite actresses and im so happy for her!!!!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on March 23, 2010, 06:30 AM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

I think that is AWESOME, they are both TERRIFIC in playing their parts, I have seen Dame Maggie Smith in several roles, and I love her as Professor Minerva McGonagal and John Hurt was AWESOME as Mr Olivander the famous Wand Maker. My Congratulations to BOTH of them!!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on March 23, 2010, 06:56 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

Well deserved honor for the both of them!

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on March 23, 2010, 08:44 AM report to moderator

They both deserve their awards though I’m surprised Maggie Smith has not had one already. To me she is one of the two greatest living actresses in the UK. The Laurence Olivier Awards are the equivalent of Oscars for the theatre in the UK and the greatest honour to receive.

John Hurt has been great in everything I’ve seen him in. I remember one drama ages ago about the Profumo affair but one of the most memorable roles I’ve seen him do is Caligula in I Claudius. I recommend the whole programme if you like costume dramas. A quality production.

Posted by anne1 on March 23, 2010, 08:46 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Congrats to 2 of my favorites!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on March 23, 2010, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

AWESOME, but the best part about this is … THIS WAS ON MY LOCAL NEWSPAPER! yay!! Both of them deserved it.

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on March 23, 2010, 09:22 AM report to moderator

"Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" Malfoy snarled.[br]"It's all right, Draco," said Narcissa, restraining him with her thin white fingers upon his shoulder. "I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius before I am reunited with Lu