Win the Chance to Shadow J.K. Rowling on Take Your Daughter to Work Day with Barbie

Contests
Posted by: Rosi
March 17, 2010, 11:03 AM

After naming Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling among the 10 Women to Watch in 2010, the Barbie I Can Be website has announced a new competition where you can win the chance to be shadow J.K. Rowling for a day. The competition is only open to girls between the age of 6 and 14 (as of the 1st of March, 2010) and the winners will be asked to report back about their experiences with "photos, videos and a short written essay." Other women winning girls will have the opportunity to shadow include Editor-in-Chief of Glamour Magazine Cindi Leive, Professor Yoky Matsuoka of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington and Olympic Snowboarder Gretchen Bleiler. Entries must be in by the 22nd of March and you can find more information here on the I Can Be website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Contests News

Logen_cruz_thumb

This is not the only time I’ve wanted to be a 14 year old girl…

Posted by allprostar31 on March 17, 2010, 02:29 PM report to moderator
Llamaflyiong_thumb

This is a fantastic opportunity for one lucky young woman, I only wish that I was 7/8 years younger so that I could enter. Good luck to everyone who tries though.

Posted by lurking_llama on March 17, 2010, 03:03 PM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

r u kidding me i have to job shadow someone this year how cool woul dit have been if i job shadowed j.k rowling

Posted by LilLadySnape on March 17, 2010, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

wow that would be soo cool

Posted by alicia00 on March 17, 2010, 03:18 PM report to moderator
Kyron_trucks_-_copy_thumb

Wow, Danica’s on the list. Too bad I’m a guy (and too old). I wonder if she’ll take the girl for a spin around the race track?

Posted by agentzac on March 17, 2010, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Reliquiasdelamuerte_thumb

Why do I have to be 15??

Posted by IHeartHarryPotter on March 17, 2010, 03:49 PM report to moderator
Cryonmyshoulder2_thumb

Too bad I’m 17…. haha

Posted by kingdomkey1121 on March 17, 2010, 04:26 PM report to moderator

Huh?? This makes no sense. First of all, what about JKR’s section on her website, the bit where she talks about the unfair ways society projects “good” things onto skinny people and girls call each other fat and so on? I would think Barbie would be another example of that — they’re not going to be making her doll particularly plump, I don’t think.
Also, I know I’ve read an interview where someone asks what it would be like to follow her around for a day, and she just said something like, “very boring, because all I do is sit in a cafe”. So… what would this “winner” do? Where would they go? I can’t imagine her lawyers would allow them to read anything as-yet-unpublished by JKR and I find it hard to visualize her letting them as well, at least before editing.
I’m annoyed by this. JKR has always been one of the people I most admire and to let them do this… I don’t know. It seems to go against everything she’s said about appearances and morals and so forth. Quite aggravating.

Posted by Libby on March 17, 2010, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Grrrrrrr can’t enter!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 17, 2010, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Read the small print – many of these 10 Women to Watch in 2010 have generously committed to mentor a girl for one day – that is MANY not ALL. So JKR may or may not be one of the people taking part in this, and given the competition is in the US and Jo is based in the UK I think it less likely that Jo is one of those who has volunteered.

Posted by roonwit on March 17, 2010, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

ok 16 isnt too old hy cant i shawdow her :(

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on March 17, 2010, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

ok 16 isnt too old hy cant i shawdow her :(

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on March 17, 2010, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

Hmm.. I wonder if I could pretend to be 14?? But seriously this is a great opportunity for a few lucky girls- and I’m so glad they picked smart and inspirational women for this!!!

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on March 17, 2010, 06:59 PM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

YES IM THAT AGE!!!! Barely :D BUT YES! ENTERING

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on March 17, 2010, 07:13 PM report to moderator

This sounds interesting, but I’m not quite sure that I am grasping the concept, but good luck to all young witches that enter!

Posted by RavenclawGirl13 on March 17, 2010, 09:31 PM report to moderator

"You have shown bravery beyond anything I could have expected of you tonight, Harry. You have shown bravery equal to those who died fighting Voldemort at the height of his powers. You have shouldered a grown wizard's burden and found yourself equal to it.