New Interview with Jason Isaacs: Isaacs and Yates Plotted How to End Lucius' Story

Isaacs Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
March 15, 2010, 06:36 AM

Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) gave a new interview to Dermot O'Leary's show on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday, in which he discussed finishing Potter and his role in "Green Zone." Confirming that he'd wrapped, Isaacs said, "hopefully there'll be some publicity and I can get the wig back on again." The actor revealed that he and director David Yates had been discussing how to end Lucius' story in the film:

One day I came up with this [idea for how to end Lucius' story] and [Yates] said, "that's it, that would be great." We shot some particular bit but I still had months left to film and I went to the trailer and took all my gear off and the First Assistant who came to see me went, "Jason, we're just looking at the schedule and we realised  that actually we don't need you now" [...] And I said, "Why?" and he said, "well that thing you just decided to do means you're not in that scene, or that scene, or that scene. And I went, "Argh! I've changed my mind! It was a terrible mistake, get everybody back!" So I had to say goodbye to it, but it was a magnificent run.
Isaacs went on to compare Potter to his other acting projects and discussed his motivations behind acting.
I know it sounds pretty ungrateful, but I don't do this job for anybody who watches it, I just love the process of it. I like the research, I like the process of being around people, the community spirit of it. With Potter, it's different. The end result and the pleasure it gives to people just goes on forever, it's kind of the opposite of herpes. It's the gift that really does keep on giving, Potter. I meet people and I don't have to do anything. I just have to breathe and exist in the room and it gives them pleasure.
The actor described Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley)  and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) as "really fine, grounded humble young people, which is pretty extraordinary considering they're the most famous young people on the planet." Isaacs also talked about the older actors he has worked with whilst making the Harry Potter films and referred to the call sheets he's saved, saying, "I look at the call sheets and it's got Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman on it and I go, 'my name's on the same piece of paper!'"

The interview also covered Tom Felton's mailbag, a comparison of running in London's Hampstead Heath and Los Angeles' Runyon Canyon along with a lengthy discussion of Isaacs' latest role in "Green Zone." The Lucius Malfoy actor described the process of acting without a set script as a, "joy: the freedom that comes with that, the sense of spontaneity."

You can find the interview on the BBC iPlayer at this link; it starts at 2:04 hours in.

Thanks to SnitchSeeker for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs Interviews News

Hydrangeas_thumb

oh

Posted by alicia00 on March 15, 2010, 03:16 PM report to moderator
Me_and_dan_orig_thumb

I hope they haven’t killed him. Why do they have to change something that Jo wrote?

Posted by GinnyPotter811 on March 15, 2010, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

This has been on Mugglenet forever, but I think they might kill Lucius. They can honestly get away with it. Too many good characters die in DH, but not enough bad. The only thing Lucius has left to live for is his family (which is enough), because he’s lost his wand, his house, and his dignity. I think he might off himself in the film.

Posted by cghambright on March 15, 2010, 03:56 PM report to moderator

I wonder how exactly the ending story is going to play out compared to the books.

Posted by gingerr_kat on March 15, 2010, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Harryserioustare_thumb

Hmmmmm, interesting!

Posted by egdillonROAR!!! on March 15, 2010, 05:13 PM report to moderator
Snape_icons_collage_thumb

That is so cool!!! I’m glad he likes the role and that he puts in his best effort towards it!!! Hope the great work shows in HP & DH!!!! =)

Posted by jhlovesmusic {^HISS^} on March 15, 2010, 05:15 PM report to moderator

it makes me wonder, “how does it end?” if he finished so early will we see the family sitting in the Great Hall at the end of the battle?!?! or in the forest before the final battle scenes?!?!?!

Posted by hermione06 on March 15, 2010, 05:20 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I love Jason Issacs! It would be interesting to know what happend to Lucius asn Narcissa after the great hall but I DO NOT what him killed! I never thought out that before and now that I have I dont like it.

Posted by LunaLuver on March 15, 2010, 05:55 PM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

It is amazing to me how they continue to “write” their own versions of the story. Like I said before, I look forward to the television redo.

Saw GREEN ZONE, wow! His part is small but it is a good movie. Its nothing you havent been told about for sure. Jason Isaacs looks sooo hot in this movie. when he fights with Matt Damon – WOW!

Posted by sidnandragin on March 15, 2010, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Death_eater_thumb

He alwasy comes off as genuinely greatful to have the job he does. He appreciates the fact that he gets to act with all these great actors and is always proud of his work. Good on you, Sir!

Posted by Max Power on March 15, 2010, 07:27 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_chamber_of_secrets_thumb

sounds like halfway through the film Voldemort chokes Lucius with his own hair so he doesn’t have to be in malfoy manor the forest or hogwarts scene? After his wand fails voldemort maybe? It won’t matter anyway the focus is on Narcissa not Lucius in DH.

Posted by BellatrixGranger on March 15, 2010, 08:08 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

God Bless Jason Isaacs!!!!

Years ago (right before he was cast as Lucius), I remember reading an article about him in which he claimed to have read the first three books over a weekend. That’s how into Harry Potter he was at the time. I love it when actors enjoy the experience of ‘Potter’

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on March 15, 2010, 08:18 PM report to moderator

How about Hagrid throws Lucius Malfoy down the stairs? Or a gang of house-elves chase him down the corridor and give him a good seeing to?

Sigh. No literal representation of the books is going to happen, the clips we’ve seen already prove that. I thought DH1 would end with Harry, Ron, and Bellatrix-Hermione leaving shell cottage, but if Bonham Carter is right (big if) then DH1 will possibly start and end at Malfoy Manor.

If you’re a literalist, then the only way you are going to keep your sanity is by not reading the book for 6 months or more before the film. It’s obvious Jo is happy to let the imaginations of the film-makers run riot as long as they are true to the spirit of the books. The films are best treated like the Theme Park: forget every detail of the books – and just enjoy the ride!!

Posted by rotfang07 on March 15, 2010, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Water_lilies_thumb

I laughed out loud when he compared Harry Potter to Herpes. I love his interviews and am so glad we get to see him portraying Lucius again in the last film.

Posted by sgreeter8888 on March 15, 2010, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

All of the interviews that he’s doing just amused me so much. I look forward to seeing/hearing more from him as the time gets closer to the first part of DH.

Posted by leigia on March 15, 2010, 09:07 PM report to moderator

"Hermione'll probably have all the answers when they wake her up! Mind you, she'll go crazy when she finds out we've got exams in three days' time. She hasn't studied. It might be kinder to leave her where she is till they're over."