Chris Columbus Talks Harry Potter Comparisons to "Percy Jackson" Film in New Interview

Columbus
Posted by: Edward
February 09, 2010, 05:01 PM

Chris Columbus, director of the first two Harry Potter films, has given an interview to ScreenStar in which he discusses the comparisons between the Harry Potter films and his newest fantasy venture, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.  The interview, which can be read in its entirety here, poses the question if Mr. Columbus had any reservations taking on this project so soon after directing Harry Potter.  Quoteage:
You probably had to think long and hard about doing Percy Jackson since it at least echoed your prior work on the Potter films. So why this? Why direct another epic adventure-fantasy film?
"I had to be really intrigued by the story, and I was. When I read it ("it" being the first of the Percy Jackson books by author Rick Riordan), I'd never seen anything like it. You've got the creatures and the stories of Greek mythology all intertwined with modern American society. I thought, "Wow, that's a cool idea for a movie." So I felt that I'd be willing to throw two years of my life into the project. It was also an opportunity to introduce the world of Greek mythology to kids in a way that doesn't feel like a history lesson. It's a very, very fun concept."
How often did you catch yourself on the Percy Jackson set saying, "Nope, did that on Potter. Can't do it again."?
"Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. To a certain extent, if I felt there were any similarities -- because people always ask the question -- I really, really tried hard to remove them from the film. I didn't really want the comparisons, but the comparisons, when you're doing anything in the fantasy genre, are inevitable. Every time I saw a bit of a pitfall we'd move away from it."
The interview continues with discussion about the advances in special effects since directing the Harry Potter films, as well as what it has been like seeing the young actors grow.  He says: "Every time I see a Potter film it's always bittersweet for me.  I'm seeing them here in America, knowing that they're being done in England, and I'm seeing these kids I know (Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint, all of whom he helped cast) grow up and turn into really wonderful actors.  So it's an odd thing.  I was so close to them, with the cast and the crew.  I saw the last Potter film right here, at this theater, and I felt like a distant parent who hasn't seen his kids in a while."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Columbus News

Picture_1_thumb

awesome!!!!!

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on February 10, 2010, 09:23 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_characters_thumb

OMG PJO and HP are the best!!! can’t wait for the movie to come out. soooo glad that Chris Columbus is directing it! :D <3

Posted by olivia_weasley_232 {*ROAR*} on February 10, 2010, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_characters_thumb

Hydrangeas_thumb

i am excited to c it now at first i thought i was going to strangle my self if i did watch it cuase i hate movies that copy off of harry potter but now i know its going to be fine cause chris c. knows what his doing !

Posted by alicia00 on February 10, 2010, 09:28 AM report to moderator
Emma_t_thumb

I love him :) He did great on the first two HP movies <3 And I think that this new movie will be really good even though I’ve never read the book.

Posted by Delilah [ROAR] on February 10, 2010, 09:28 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Cool! I really want to see that movie now! But it must be very hard for him to:
1) Make all the fantasy different than his HP films
and
2) See the other HP films knowing that he couldn’t do all of the films.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 10, 2010, 09:30 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Cool! I really want to see that movie now! But it must be very hard for him to:
1) Make all the fantasy different than his HP films
and
2) See the other HP films knowing that he couldn’t do all of the films.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 10, 2010, 09:30 AM report to moderator
Hikerpugs1_thumb

“felt like a distant parent who hasn’t seen his kids in a while” — awwww.
It would be interesting to hear about the things he had to change because they were too close to things done in the HPs

Posted by rosepug on February 10, 2010, 09:54 AM report to moderator
Cryonmyshoulder2_thumb

What’s wrong with similarities? It is the same director, most have a certain style anyway.

Posted by kingdomkey1121 on February 10, 2010, 10:10 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Oh I can’t wait to watch the movie! It sounds so cool. I saw the trailer and it was like watching Harry Potter again. Well I have say………
In this movie everyone will be older than the Harry Potter cast though, so we won’t actually see the characters grow up.
Oh well………
I still can’t wait!

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am not sure whether I will see the Percy Jackson films, but I must thank him for building the foundations from which this franchise flourished. He did a superb job in constructing the universe and giving it to the directors that followed him to enrich.

Posted by Kirk on February 10, 2010, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

cant wait till it comes out… :)

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on February 10, 2010, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

dont know if ill see it but better chance of yes than no.
chris was a good director no doubt though

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on February 10, 2010, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_characters_thumb

did anyone here read the books?

Posted by olivia_weasley_232 {*ROAR*} on February 10, 2010, 11:30 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_characters_thumb

did anyone here read the books?

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Why would anyone want to celebrate the day they died?" said Ron, who was halfway through his Potions homework and grumpy. "Sounds dead depressing to me...."