Emma Watson Talks Epilogue Filming, Life as as University Student and More in New Interview

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
February 06, 2010, 12:01 PM

Actress Emma Watson has given a new interview to the Daiy Express newspaper in the UK in which the Hermione Granger actress discusses her life as a university student, a desire for a normal life, her experience working on the Harry Potter films, and the Epilogue scenes.  On the subject of the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" films, Miss Watson relates that ultimately wrapping filming will be an "uncontrollable" experience, saying: "It's been half of our lives.  It's made us, it's formed us.  It's such a bit part of my life so it will be really sad."  She goes on to note the following in regards to the much talked about Epilogue scene, which shows the Trio sending their own children off to Hogwarts: "We will look like 40-year-olds... I can't wait to see that."

The interview continues with Emma Watson relating her life outside of her Harry Potter experience, as a "normal" university student.  The paper reports:
“I probably sound like a paranoid nut but I’m doing this because I want to be normal,” says the actress who gave up childhood friends, sleep- overs, clubs and boozing for fame. “I really want anonymity.”
In London last year she left her family home and moved into a flat in a terraced house she shares with a friend and she sought out a similar experience in the US. Her Potter co-star Daniel ­Radcliffe warned her not to live in a university dormitory with an un known room-mate but she ignored his advice and moved in with a girl named Sophie. “I want to do it properly, like everyone else,” she says. “As long as I don’t walk in and see Harry Potter posters everywhere I’ll be fine.”
...
“You’re encouraged to be broad and choose many different subjects,” she says. “For someone who has missed as much school as I have I want to go back and discover what else there is. I always loved school. I was a proper, proper nerd. I just want that back again.”
The full interview may be read at the link above, while a scan of the article can be found here.

Many thanks to SnitchSeeker!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Dhcalendar_thumb

Emma’s great, she’ll go far, she can act, she’s pretty, she cares, and she’s smart. Alot like Hermione.

Posted by Brianna on February 08, 2010, 04:54 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

i always love emma interviews! she sounds kind of sad though :(

Posted by harrygetsme on February 08, 2010, 05:18 AM report to moderator

Do you remember back when we all wondered if the same actors who started the Harry Potter series would remain to finish it? I remember there was even a rumor at several points that Emma had dropped out. Well, she didn’t. It’s coming to the end of the series and we still have the same Dan, Rupert, and Emma playing H,R,Hr. We still have.. actually, almost the entire cast we started with. That takes some serious dedication!!

Posted by Ashlee88 on February 08, 2010, 06:00 AM report to moderator

I think she more means that as long as her roommate didn’t make a big deal. OMG Emma Watson is my roomie. Have the room plastered in Harry Potter things. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders I am sure she will succeed in whatever path she decides to take. She could even take a long time off from acting and come back later or do a few things and never act again. Not all child stars keep acting into their adult lives. Whats with them saying they will look like they are in their 40’s. Only 19 years will have passed they’d be in their mid 30’s (Harry and Ron 35, Ginny 34 and Hermione weeks from turning 36)

Posted by dobby_rocks on February 08, 2010, 06:50 AM report to moderator

My bad they’d actually be ( 37, 36 and nearly 38)

Posted by dobby_rocks on February 08, 2010, 06:52 AM report to moderator
Stinkaavatar_thumb

I dont understand why some people can’t understand that she has contractual obligations signed prior to entering college. What is she supposed to do walk out on it? Potter fans take things too literally (LOL). Perhaps she means normal, as in she doesn’t want special treatment from the other students or faculty.

Posted by stinka on February 08, 2010, 07:35 AM report to moderator

it’s cool that she wants to be normal but no matter how hard she tries she won’t really be because of how massively famous she is. it’s a great experience to go to university either way

Posted by gingerr_kat on February 08, 2010, 07:41 AM report to moderator
Piercing2_thumb

Awwww Emma! You’re doing it, you got it down…..you can’t blame her for wanting a normal life. Just don’t forget us ;)
Haha, I am a school nerd too! Way to go!!

Posted by harrypottergirlll on February 08, 2010, 08:11 AM report to moderator
Img_7836_thumb

=D I’m happy for her. i love her.
I feel like if I was in her situation, I would feel exactly the same. I’d LOVE to be in the Harry Potter movies but after however many years of everyone knowing who I was, i’d love to just be an anonymous student living life normally.

Plus, I’m a nerd. =D

Posted by kira902k on February 08, 2010, 11:50 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

hooray for emma :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on February 08, 2010, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Hermoine_thumb

She seems like a really down to earth young lady. I am glad to see that the most of the HP actors have managed to escape the childhood actor curse. She is a beautiful girl and seems to be very driven and focused. I am sure that she will accomplish anything she sets her mind to. Although I can’t wait to see DH 1& 2, the thought of it all coming to an end is so sad. Listening to her talk about filming the last dau gives me the same lump in my throat that reading the Epilogue did. It is so hard to see it end. I wish her and all of the cast all of the luck in the world!

Posted by PotterMom9701 on February 08, 2010, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

Sounds like she has everything in order. Good luck to her.

Posted by Bara on February 08, 2010, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

She’s a very great person. Love her!

Posted by DH Obsessed [ROAR!] on February 08, 2010, 08:06 PM report to moderator
Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

She’s a very great person. Love her!

Phoenixlament_normal_normal_thumb

She’s a very great person. Love her!

"My name is Professor Trelawney. You may not have seen me before. I find that descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner Eye."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014