A Note from J.K. Rowling on "Helping Haiti Heal"

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Melissa
February 05, 2010, 11:10 AM

As of today, the Helping Haiti Heal effort has raised nearly $97,000. If we get to $105,000, Partners in Health will name the three full cargo planes (full of medical supplies and other desperately needed equipment) that we have funded after three wizards we know well: Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The trio will fly into Haiti to help.

We are very close to that goal. We still need your help to do it. But today, J.K. Rowling, hearing about all your AMAZING work so far, has passed along a message and specifically asked we share it here:

To everyone who has helped raise such an incredible amount for the earthquake survivors in Haiti: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Like many others, I made a personal donation to the DEC shortly after the earthquake happened; but never did I expect such an amazing response from all of you.  You cannot imagine how awed, moved and humbled I am to know that planes named Harry, Ron and Hermione are going to be flying off to help.  I did not need this to remind me how extraordinary Harry’s fans are, but you keep giving me proofs. THANK YOU! - Jo

Remember, you can still enter to win a full set of signed Harry Potter books and many more awesome prizes - AND 100% of your donation will go toward relief - by visiting this page.  Also stay tuned for more announcements soon. If you can't donate, tell someone who can. If you know someone who might want to take part but might not know about the effort, e-mail them right now. Tell your local news outlet. Tweet. We can get there with your help! Help send the trio to Haiti!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

I wish I had more to donate, but it’s so inspiring to see everyone make every little bit count. HP fans officially rock at life. :)

Posted by aj_ellybean on February 06, 2010, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Jo is such an amazing person! Its great to know that there’s proof that she isn’t stuck up and. WOW I am just lost for words. She actually cares for people, not just HP fans but others too!

How COULD you NOT love Jo?

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on February 06, 2010, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

How COULD you NOT love Jo?

Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

How COULD you NOT love Jo?

Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

On the HP Alliance website it now says we’ve raised over $110,000?!

Posted by nellythemarrow on February 06, 2010, 01:17 PM report to moderator

J.K. Rowling is so nice

Posted by Kristine *ROAR* on February 06, 2010, 01:47 PM report to moderator

I can’t beleive planes are named after Harry, Ron, and Hermione

Posted by Kristine *ROAR* on February 06, 2010, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Avatars_actor_trio_sep_001_thumb

Thanks for answering nellythemarrow. I’m very proud that those planes will be named Harry, Ron and Hermione, it makes me really happy and proud to be part of such an amazing fandom, and Jo is the best!! A fourth plane could be named after her xD

Posted by Hedwig17 on February 06, 2010, 02:57 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Wow this is awesome!

Posted by da_member0808 on February 06, 2010, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

wow, good job guys!
that would be so incredible if the planes were named after everyone’s favorite trio!

Posted by harrygetsme on February 06, 2010, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Zomg_yay__thumb

I’m so elated to hear that they more than met their goal, and the line, “The trio will fly into Haiti to help,” almost made me cry, made me imagine the stalwart trio flying on brooms to Haiti, because it does feel like something they would do. I hope that they do continue to raise money for planes/supplies, and it would be honorable to name additional planes after deceased heroes; i.e., Fred, Moody, Tonks, Lupin, Dobby, etc. Hedwig would be an appropriately name plane, huh? :)

Posted by drarry.girl on February 06, 2010, 06:05 PM report to moderator

Go JK! i loved this! Harry, Ron and Hermione are going to Haiti!

-love, Lyric ♥♪♫

Posted by lyricmedlie on February 06, 2010, 06:38 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

Tears! Thanks JKR. You are so sweet. We love you. May Allah Continue to bless you. This is why I love this site so much. I love how the good people of the world come together to spray a mist of love into the atmosphere.

Posted by molly43 on February 06, 2010, 07:00 PM report to moderator
Whomping_willow2_thumb

I love you Jo! such a nice person!

Posted by WillowSauce on February 06, 2010, 07:38 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Jo. Is. Amazing. YOU ROCK! Because of you, we have helped raise $110,000 for Helping Haiti Heal! Jo, this is why so may people love and care about you. U R G8

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on February 06, 2010, 08:43 PM report to moderator

"Yeh're goin' ter win," Hagrid growled, patting Harry's shoulder again, so that Harry actually felt himself sink a couple of inches into the soft ground. "I know it. I can feel it. [i]Yeh're goin' ter win, Harry."[/i]