A Note from J.K. Rowling on "Helping Haiti Heal"

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Melissa
February 05, 2010, 11:10 AM

As of today, the Helping Haiti Heal effort has raised nearly $97,000. If we get to $105,000, Partners in Health will name the three full cargo planes (full of medical supplies and other desperately needed equipment) that we have funded after three wizards we know well: Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The trio will fly into Haiti to help.

We are very close to that goal. We still need your help to do it. But today, J.K. Rowling, hearing about all your AMAZING work so far, has passed along a message and specifically asked we share it here:

To everyone who has helped raise such an incredible amount for the earthquake survivors in Haiti: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Like many others, I made a personal donation to the DEC shortly after the earthquake happened; but never did I expect such an amazing response from all of you.  You cannot imagine how awed, moved and humbled I am to know that planes named Harry, Ron and Hermione are going to be flying off to help.  I did not need this to remind me how extraordinary Harry’s fans are, but you keep giving me proofs. THANK YOU! - Jo

Remember, you can still enter to win a full set of signed Harry Potter books and many more awesome prizes - AND 100% of your donation will go toward relief - by visiting this page.  Also stay tuned for more announcements soon. If you can't donate, tell someone who can. If you know someone who might want to take part but might not know about the effort, e-mail them right now. Tell your local news outlet. Tweet. We can get there with your help! Help send the trio to Haiti!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Tumblr_m0hexavzz21qb3do9o6_250_normal_thumb

THIS WOMAN IS AMAZING!! A millions thanks to her as well for helping Haiti so much! Great job to all of us who donated as well!

Posted by Owana Potter on February 06, 2010, 08:15 AM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

She is so talented and so kind!

Posted by Pollytomat on February 06, 2010, 08:47 AM report to moderator

HP fans are simply the best!!!!!!!

Posted by hewy on February 06, 2010, 09:14 AM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

wow jo is amazing

Posted by LilLadySnape on February 06, 2010, 09:15 AM report to moderator
Z_thumb

omg!! that’s amazing! :O
xD the books are coming alive!

Posted by chocolaterabbits on February 06, 2010, 09:23 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

A wonderful cause, a wonderful note from JKR!

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on February 06, 2010, 09:36 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

OMG! squee! we are almost there! how exciting about the planes being named!!!
AND A NOTE FROM JO!!!!!!! it is so great to hear from her, completely awesome! SHE is so awesome, amazing, there isnt a word to describe her! love ya Jo!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on February 06, 2010, 09:42 AM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

$97,000 is an amazing amount! I wish the $105,000 goal can be reached soon!
I’d donate more if I could, but I’m glad I was at least able to contribute a bit.
Good job everyone!

Posted by Felipe on February 06, 2010, 09:47 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

We love you Jo! :) Your fans will always spread the word of Harry and how magical he is!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on February 06, 2010, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Harryserioustare_thumb

Wow, she is so amazing! And so is everyone that donated! Keep it up you guys, so we can see off Harry, Ron and Hermione to the rescue again!

Posted by egdillonROAR!!! on February 06, 2010, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Presentation1_normal_thumb

.,j.k. only proves that she’s not just a really good writer but she also have a good heart..she’s wonderful…more than words can say

Posted by chRiStiNe [(ROAR)] on February 06, 2010, 11:16 AM report to moderator
Avatars_actor_trio_sep_001_thumb

HI! I don’t have an amercican express, visa or master card. How can I donate, or is this the only way to donate? thanks

Posted by Hedwig17 on February 06, 2010, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Many thanks to her for her contribution in all of this. Without her creative output from which all of humanity has benefited, we would not have shared this common unity and community through which we could exchange information and provide support, not merely to each other, but to our fellow brothers and sisters in humanity as well. Because of what she has done for us, she has enabled us to do much. Thank you, Rowling, for creating this fandom. The fact that it can do things as wonderful as this is a true testament to the capacity of Harry Potter to transcend and be something more than a mere item of pop culture, turning instead into a transformative cultural artifact whose capacities remain incomprehensible but nevertheless impressive still.

Posted by Kirk on February 06, 2010, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

What a fantastic amount of money earned so far. Could it be possible to get a fourth plane out to Haiti? What would it be named?

Posted by Bara on February 06, 2010, 11:30 AM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

@Hedwig17 I think it’s the only way you can donate via thehpalliance and be in with a chance of winning a prize as PayPal’s required. I didn’t have it either so I asked someone who did and payed them back. Otherwise I guess it’s just a case of donating to Haiti through another organisation.

Posted by nellythemarrow on February 06, 2010, 12:20 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Yeh could've died! All fer a dragon egg! I'll never drink again! I should be chucked out an' made ter live as a Muggle!"