J.K. Rowling to be Turned Into Special Edition Barbie Doll

Toys
Posted by: Rosi
February 03, 2010, 06:04 PM

A Sky News article reveals today that a one-of-a-kind J.K. Rowling Barbie doll will be showcased at the world's largest toy fair in Nuremberg, Germany, dressed in a "black wool suit and hot pink top combination." U.S. chat show host Oprah Winfrey, German prime minister Angela Merkel, 2009 U.S. Open winner Kim Clijsters and Swedish Crown Princess Victoria are among the other women to be turned into special edition Barbie dolls for their "role model" status, although the dolls will not go on general sale.

The senior vice president of Barbie International, Rosa Zeegers, commented on why these particular women were selected:

They are true models for girls of all ages, embodying the essence and values of Barbie.
Whether you are four years old or 70 years old, we all need aspirational role models in our lives.
The outfit chosen for the J.K. Rowling doll is based on her wardrobe choice for the 2009 Monsters and Critics Award Banquet.

Many thanks to MuggleNet for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Toys News

Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

:/ Oh dear, oh dear…. that’s just… not good…

Posted by nellythemarrow on February 03, 2010, 08:46 PM report to moderator

Hay! Much better then those pretty-girl barbies!

Posted by deatheater111 on February 04, 2010, 10:22 AM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

SOOOOOOOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!! I WANT TO WATCH THAT BARBIE!!!! XD

Avi_thumb

yaaaay !!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on February 04, 2010, 10:37 AM report to moderator

Personally I’m actually disappointed that she agreed for such a thing. This is just too much. I like the books but I’m against the pop cultural abuse of Harry Potter . For the same reason I dislike the whole theme-park idea. Of course this is my opinion and I respect the fact that not everybody will agree with me. .

Posted by Goury on February 04, 2010, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Lunanargles_thumb

that’s so funny but so cool at the same time!

Posted by calliet2b4g on February 04, 2010, 10:47 AM report to moderator

Oh, sorry for the double post!

Posted by Goury on February 04, 2010, 10:48 AM report to moderator
Snen0911x17_thumb

That is so cool. I once had a Mulder and Scully Barbie collectable. I would definitely get this.

Posted by Eccentra on February 04, 2010, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

yaaaay !!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on February 04, 2010, 11:00 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

This is what barbies should look be averge looking people!!

Posted by The Nerd on February 04, 2010, 11:00 AM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

ahahahahhaha i want a jo barbie doll!!!!! JEALOUS!!!! shes so perdyy :D

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on February 04, 2010, 11:04 AM report to moderator

this is horrible. they are going to depict her like barbie and not like herself. none of the barbies of famous people actually look like them.

Posted by gingerr_kat on February 04, 2010, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Masterhand_thumb

O_O Oh noooo….

Posted by ?????? on February 04, 2010, 11:10 AM report to moderator

Please not this! Jo is a great role model for everyone but she does not need to be immortalized as a Barbie.

Posted by hrhgnl on February 04, 2010, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

I agree with you Goury. I’m also surprised that she agreed to associate herself with a doll that has very little to do with what I consider a “role model” for girls (and, from what I understand, what JK herself considers). Barbies glorify shallow beauty and obsession with fashion. An icon for skinny girls with eating disorders and empty brains, but not for those who want to be something more than an empty pretty package.

Posted by Iceholic on February 04, 2010, 11:34 AM report to moderator

"My dear," Professor Trelawney's huge eyes opened dramatically, "you have the Grim."