Jason Isaacs Talks About the Final Acts of "Deathly Hallows"

Isaacs Interviews
Posted by: Edward
February 27, 2010, 01:40 PM

There is a new interview with Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) with Collider.com online today, in which the actor spoke to the Harry Potter films coming to a close, and his last days on the set.  This interview, which was part of a larger round table discussion at the press junket for Mr. Isaac's upcoming film "The Green Zone," begins with talk of his final days on the set, and his emotional response to knowing this will be the last time he'll film as Lucius.  Quoteage:

Well, it’s very sad for me.  I was already nostalgic for the history of Harry Potter while I was still making it and I knew the end was coming.  It was two film…they made the last book into two films and it was a fantastic experience because everybody’s back…everyone who is left alive that is…and even some of the dead people.  There is nothing greater than sitting around on a Harry Potter set when you’re not filming and listening to the likes of Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Bill Nighy and Jim Broadbent tell stories.  And watching everybody crew the scenery up in the few moments you get on screen - trying to out ham each other is magnificent.  This big franchise goes out in an epic way.  But I was always cognisant of the fact that I’d have to pack up my little furry friend of a wig and stick it in a box and say goodbye to the cane.  All the joy was tinged with sadness for me.
He continues by speaking to the much anticipated final battle sequence in the film, and the ways in which the filmmakers have the "ability to make great cinema experiences out of [the book] and where they need to change the book or the central thrust of the story, they do it now with, I think, real aplomb and with Jo Rowling’s blessing."  When speaking on his opinion of the final act of the film, Mr. Isaacs says:
I think the end of the films will be a fantastically cinematic and visual feast.  It will more than satisfy the readers of the books…but you won’t get is the book on screen.  You’ll get something more and different.  Everybody is very savvy to the notion that this is a much-loved franchise and this will be the end of an eighth film, and it needs to have weight and substance and you need to feel drained by the end of it. It’s a ten-year roller coaster ride, not a two-hour roller coaster ride, and we all know it and we all felt it, and it was in the air while we were shooting it.
On a related note, Mr. Isaacs spoke with ComingSoon.net during the same press junket round table and related a few expanded comments regarding what to expect in the final films.  That interview can be read right here.  Coming Soon is slated to release additional interviews with other actors from the final Harry Potter film, including Ciaran Hinds and Rhys Ifans, in the coming days.

Many thanks to Tracy for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs Interviews News

Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

I cannot wait! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!

Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Oh My Gosh!!! “more and different” I can’t wait!!! i want november now!!

Avatar1_thumb

I just wish the end wasn’t so close. I can’t believe we won’t be having anymore of those in the future… It makes me so sad. I deeply regret it.

Posted by Madam Snape on February 28, 2010, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Awesome! Now I really can’t wait for Deathly Hallows!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on February 28, 2010, 10:21 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Can’t decide how to feel…excited for the movies & also sad bcz it’s coming to an end….
Never mind, Harry Potter will live forever!!!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on March 01, 2010, 02:59 AM report to moderator

gives hope that Deathly Hallows one and two, have not been messed up.

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on March 01, 2010, 06:20 AM report to moderator

I was just thinking, in many years- Harry Potter will be a classic and they will be re-making it with new actors and fancy technology we cant even imagine! Harry Potter movies will continue much later than the end of the 8th one! Even if I am not allowed to leave my future old-folks home to see it…

Posted by VesperaS on March 01, 2010, 09:04 AM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Cool, I love it that he’s into the books not just the movies! He truly is inspiring to young people such as me!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on March 01, 2010, 10:43 PM report to moderator
Cadoyp57_thumb

I think he’s hinting that the ending will be a bit different. Hopefully in a good way!!

Posted by PigmyPuffPie on March 01, 2010, 11:40 PM report to moderator

WOOOT SOUNDS AWESOME

Posted by madman1277 on March 02, 2010, 09:00 AM report to moderator

"...we're going to go on an expedition to Sweden this summer and see if we can catch a Crumple-Horned Snorkack."[br]Hermione seemed to struggle with herself for a moment, then said, "That sounds lovely."