Production Designer Stuart Craig Featured in The Telegraph

Crew Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
February 20, 2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks to our Order Partner RupertGrint.net we can let you know about a new article in The Telegraph about Stuart Craig, the production designer on the Harry Potter films. The interview covers Craig's daily routine, his favourite props, favourite film and even has a small picture of a map of Hogwarts drawn by J.K.Rowling, the "first document from the very first day of the very first coming-together of the book, the author and the movies, more than 10 years ago."

The production designer also briefly mentions "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" throughout the article, such as when he talks about the "new Snitch that miraculously opens up to reveal the Resurrection Stone" created for the seventh film. Quotage:

The last time I cried was a few days ago when we filmed the death of Alan Rickman's character, Snape. It's quite difficult to cry in rushes - where we watch the previous day's work - but he is an extraordinary actor and he dies an extremely good death. I don't cry out loud, I have to say, but I do get a wet cheek.
[On life after Harry] I really am glad to have worked on the Potter films and in 10 years it has never seemed repetitive. After it all comes to an end, and I'm at home, I'm sure I'll be grumpy for a few weeks because people won't be interested in what I think any more. But I'm sure I'll get used to that.
Scans of the two page feature are now available here in our galleries. Thanks again to RupertGrint.net for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Crew Interviews News

I AM GONNA CRY AT THE PREMIRE IN FRONT OF MY CCRUSH

Posted by Kristine *ROAR* on February 21, 2010, 03:41 AM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

:( I probably am going to cry when I see Snape’s death! I can’t believe they’re already that far in shooting! But I can’t wait to see the Golden Snitch! He did such an amazing job on the Weasley home, I can’t believe it!

He’s hilarious ‘because people won’t be interested in what I think any more’ LOL

REMINDER TO EVERYONE: WHEN WATCHING DH PART 2, BRING A TISSUE BOX! OR MAYBE TWO.

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on February 21, 2010, 03:46 AM report to moderator

First of all thank you Stuart Craig for your genius without which the Potter world would not have been brought to life. And, no, “the device for recording house points” was not “Creative licence” that your “team came up with” and, of course, it was in the books. Actually it was in all of them I think. Proof, once again, that reading the books is not a priority for those involved in making the films -
HBP (p560; uk): “the giant Gryffindor hour-glass had been hit by a curse and the rubies within were still falling, with a loud rattle, onto the flagstones below …”

OotP (p561; uk): [Harry to Cho Chang] beckoning her across to the Entrance Hall where the giant hour-glasses stood. Gryffindor’s was now almost empty"
etc etc etc etc …

Posted by rotfang07 on February 21, 2010, 06:35 AM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

i am very sad :(

Posted by alicia00 on February 21, 2010, 08:49 AM report to moderator
Iconator_dea697cd87becd1283213b46f798b87b_thumb

Ooo, I’m going to be crying my eyes out during this scene! It’s so emotional.

Posted by Wendelin the Weird on February 21, 2010, 10:10 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Snape’s already dead! This is sad…

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on February 21, 2010, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

This is kinda random… I can’t wait to see the Prince’s tale on screen because it was my favorite part of the books!!!! :)

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on February 21, 2010, 01:23 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I can’t wait to see this movie. I’m planning to bring a box of tissues with me to the theater next year for the release.

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on February 21, 2010, 03:17 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

Ah, Craig created wonderful designs that will live forever in the hearts and minds of HP fans. I can easily picture his designs in place of my own imagination. Congrats to Craig on a job well done.

As for Snape, well, we’ll see how it will work out in the movie.

Posted by leigia on February 22, 2010, 12:17 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Good grief I knew that DH would be emotional to see but, if the movie crew are crying over these scenes already, it’s going to be real difficult …
I hadnt actually realized they’ve already filmed Snape’s death scenes. Oh my gosh now I feel sad already :(

Posted by Moose_Starr on February 22, 2010, 12:50 PM report to moderator

Mr Craig, folks will be seeking you opinion and wisdom for years to come. Thank you for bringing the world of Harry Potter to life. From the outset of these films the scenery and the casting have been absolutely perfect and in rereading the books your beautiful scenery comes to mind as do the mental pictures of the characters. As for Snapes death scene – if they put that and Dobbys in the same movie I am going to need more than two boxes of tissues.
Again thank you Mr. Craig for all you have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by hewy on February 22, 2010, 06:05 PM report to moderator

Just thought of an additional death that I am not looking forward to and that is Fred Weasly. This is truly going to be a bawling fest.

Posted by hewy on February 22, 2010, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

Stuart Craig is brilliant and so dedicated to Jo’s vision; I am just in awe. And so grateful that he has been on board throughout — and for the WWoHP in Florida. The attention to detail in the props, sets, and costumes on these films staggers the mind. Maybe in the last film(s) the Weasley clock will get its closeup, altho I will hate to see Fred’s hand pointing to “LOST.” Talk about a tissue scene.

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on February 23, 2010, 08:23 AM report to moderator

"...come to number ninety-three, Diagon Alley -- Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes," he said in a loud voice. "Our new premises!"[br]"Special discounts to Hogwarts students who swear they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat," added George, poi