Production Designer Stuart Craig Featured in The Telegraph

Crew Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
February 20, 2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks to our Order Partner RupertGrint.net we can let you know about a new article in The Telegraph about Stuart Craig, the production designer on the Harry Potter films. The interview covers Craig's daily routine, his favourite props, favourite film and even has a small picture of a map of Hogwarts drawn by J.K.Rowling, the "first document from the very first day of the very first coming-together of the book, the author and the movies, more than 10 years ago."

The production designer also briefly mentions "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" throughout the article, such as when he talks about the "new Snitch that miraculously opens up to reveal the Resurrection Stone" created for the seventh film. Quotage:

The last time I cried was a few days ago when we filmed the death of Alan Rickman's character, Snape. It's quite difficult to cry in rushes - where we watch the previous day's work - but he is an extraordinary actor and he dies an extremely good death. I don't cry out loud, I have to say, but I do get a wet cheek.
[On life after Harry] I really am glad to have worked on the Potter films and in 10 years it has never seemed repetitive. After it all comes to an end, and I'm at home, I'm sure I'll be grumpy for a few weeks because people won't be interested in what I think any more. But I'm sure I'll get used to that.
Scans of the two page feature are now available here in our galleries. Thanks again to RupertGrint.net for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Crew Interviews News

26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

oh no alans sene made im cry im gonna ball then!!!

Posted by LilLadySnape on February 20, 2010, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

dude i cant wait to see the snape scene. although it will be a bit depressing. Stuart has done an awesome job throughout this journey

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on February 20, 2010, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Testolv_thumb

God, I’ll die at that scene….. T____T

Posted by CissyMalfoy on February 20, 2010, 06:18 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

The Snape dying scene……..I will be bawling!!!!!!!! :(

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 20, 2010, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

The Snape dying scene……..I will be bawling!!!!!!!! :(

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 20, 2010, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

WICKED!! I can’t believe they’ve already filmed that scene! I’m not a big Snape fan at all, but that scene was pretty sad in the movie. I can’t wait to see how it looks on screen. The only person there when Snape takes his last breath is the boy he berated and ridiculed for the past 6 years. And of course his last words, “look at me” I’m going to be an absolute wreck.
I also think there’s a lot of symbolism in having Snape die in the Shrieking Shack. In a way, it was the Marauder’s club house and I think Snape was always envious of them.

Posted by cghambright on February 20, 2010, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I can’t believe they filmed it already… I’m going to have to bring a whole box of tissues to the theater. I never want the movies to end :(

Posted by Christine on February 20, 2010, 07:04 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I can’t believe they just filmed that scene! OMG! I’m going to bawl like a baby when I see it… I know I am. :‘( That scene made me cry while reading the book, so I’m going to need 2 boxes of tissues to watch it. Especially when he says, “Look at me”… OMG! :(

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on February 20, 2010, 07:14 PM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

Sounds like Snape’s death scene is definitely going to require several tissues.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on February 20, 2010, 07:41 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Snape dying a good death? After being attacked by a giant snake?

Posted by Girlraven1 on February 20, 2010, 07:50 PM report to moderator

I absolutely plan to take a box of tissues with me to this one. My heart is already breaking.

Posted by Jillxoxo on February 20, 2010, 09:32 PM report to moderator

Oh, and much applause for Stuart Craig’s terrific work over the years! I cannot believe that people will ever stop caring what he thinks.

Posted by Jillxoxo on February 20, 2010, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Agreed Jillxoxo. Stuart Craig has been here from the start. He took Jo’s ideas and brought them to life. I think film students will be studying the Potter production designs for years to come.

I’m glad Snape’s death is emotional. We all knew Rickman could do it. I’m more interested in how Dan does. I really hope he lets himself be vulnerable. There’s so much pressure on Dan to get it right. Ugh, that must be so stressful for an actor.

Posted by mollywobble on February 20, 2010, 11:09 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Thank you, Stuart Craig, for lending your creative and inimitable imagination to these films and conceiving for this world so many fantastic and memorable sets. Words cannot express how grateful we are for the impressive work you have done.

As for Snape’s death, his description alone is enough to convince me that Mr. Yates has made it both poignant and powerful and does the character justice.

Posted by Kirk on February 20, 2010, 11:44 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Man… the second part of the film will be a tissue feast _

Posted by Mr. Brightside on February 21, 2010, 01:24 AM report to moderator

"I must go back to the feast, Minerva, I've got to give out a few notices. Come, Severus, there's a delicious-looking custard tart I want to sample --"