Suit Claiming Copyright Infringement Against Bloomsbury Adds J. K. Rowling as Defendant; JKR "Saddened" by Claim

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
February 17, 2010, 03:07 PM

Bloomberg is reporting that Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has been added as a defendant in a plagiarism lawsuit against UK Harry Potter book publisher Bloomsbury we first reported last summer. As readers will recall, the suit, filed by the estate of late children's author Adrian Jacobs, claimed that "JK Rowling copied substantial parts of the work of the late Adrian Jacobs, The Adventures of Willy the Wizard-No 1 Livid Land, and that Bloomsbury in selling the books have infringed the Estate's copyright."  Today, the estate included J. K. Rowling as a defendant in that suit, after, as the estate claims, "discovering legal cause of action against her within the last six years."

J. K. Rowling has released the following statement through her spokesman:
"I am saddened that yet another claim has been made that I have taken material from another source to write Harry. The fact is I had never heard of the author or the book before the first accusation by those connected to the author’s estate in 2004; I have certainly never read the book.  The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd and I am disappointed that I, and my U.K. publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Why in the world has it taken them THIS long to file this complaint? I would hope a court would take that question into consideration. GoF was published TEN years ago.

Posted by Aranel36 on February 21, 2010, 07:41 PM report to moderator
27577_1__thumb

good for you Jo!!!

Posted by Rowling Stones on February 23, 2010, 09:10 PM report to moderator

Some people really will stop at nothing… Remember the Nancy Stouffer case from 10 years ago. Her book is now out of print and HP continues to sell every day.

Posted by enchantedsocks on March 12, 2010, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I remember looking at the web site for this author’s books and it really isn’t anything like Harry Potter. It’s all kind of sci fi more than fantasy. Any similarities are in the mind of the man’s son, who clearly wants some money for nothing that he did.

Absurd is right!

Posted by Eeyore on April 06, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Those nasty, lying buggers!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on April 24, 2010, 06:45 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

>=V

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on April 24, 2010, 06:45 AM report to moderator

Money grabbers !!

Posted by azna70 on July 30, 2010, 06:05 AM report to moderator

"Fred gave me one of those when I was seven -- it burnt a hole right through my tongue. I remember Mum walloping him with her broomstick." Ron stared broodingly into the Acid Pop box. "Reckon Fred'd take a bit of Cockroach Cluster if I told him they were