Suit Claiming Copyright Infringement Against Bloomsbury Adds J. K. Rowling as Defendant; JKR "Saddened" by Claim

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
February 17, 2010, 03:07 PM

Bloomberg is reporting that Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has been added as a defendant in a plagiarism lawsuit against UK Harry Potter book publisher Bloomsbury we first reported last summer. As readers will recall, the suit, filed by the estate of late children's author Adrian Jacobs, claimed that "JK Rowling copied substantial parts of the work of the late Adrian Jacobs, The Adventures of Willy the Wizard-No 1 Livid Land, and that Bloomsbury in selling the books have infringed the Estate's copyright."  Today, the estate included J. K. Rowling as a defendant in that suit, after, as the estate claims, "discovering legal cause of action against her within the last six years."

J. K. Rowling has released the following statement through her spokesman:
"I am saddened that yet another claim has been made that I have taken material from another source to write Harry. The fact is I had never heard of the author or the book before the first accusation by those connected to the author’s estate in 2004; I have certainly never read the book.  The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd and I am disappointed that I, and my U.K. publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

ok, in my eyes, people r copying her brilliant, perfect, incredible work and then accusing her of copying them. totally unfair. she shouldnt be put through this. shes a good person and there is NOTHING WRONG with her amazing, original work

Posted by MaggieNoise on February 19, 2010, 02:19 AM report to moderator
Safe_image_thumb

This is ridiculous JO. does not need to copy no one works she has proven that very well. shame on those who even doubt her. come on people. leave the best writer in whole world alone. Love you Jo.

Posted by Picazo on February 19, 2010, 09:21 AM report to moderator

So sad that another author has come out of the woodwork wanting a piece of JKR’s pie. I completely trust JKR when she says that she was unaware of this work. Good luck in the court case Jo, I hope you won’t need it.

Posted by hereward on February 19, 2010, 09:44 AM report to moderator
Magic-book_thumb

I can not believe this!! I mean she would never do that! I wouldn’t be surprised if this was all for money!!! The nerve of these people! It is just so tiring that this happens to people and all the sudden the judge relizes there is no book !!! She would never,never,never, never, never, never, never, never, never, ever do something like that!! This goes to show how power hungry people can be or how rude and slefish.

Posted by Dreamer on February 19, 2010, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Nicejobretard_thumb

Uh oh! I see a lot of the same things being said over and over here in the comments! Better watch out or you might be accused of plagiarism!

Geez, think about how long humans have been on the face of the earth. I’m sure that pretty much everything that comes out of our mouths has been said at some point in time by someone somewhere. Does that mean I have to put a permanent citation over my head telling everyone that I credit everything I say to the humans who came before me?

Good Lord, these lawsuit happy people need to get a life!

Posted by dawnw323 on February 19, 2010, 11:43 AM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

you tell em jo

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on February 19, 2010, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

This is so, unbelievably ridiculous. I read somewhere that this so called “book” of Adrian Jacobs’ is actually a packet! Anyway, JKR will definitely win the case, but this lawsuit against her wastes so much time and money. There is absolutely no point. The estate of Adrian Jacobs probably knows they are not going to win, but they also know that this case will give Mr. Jacobs’ books much publicity. What kills me the most, though, is that it’s not Mr. Jacobs that is suing; it’s his estate! Adrian Jacobs has been dead for 13 years!!!!!!

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on February 19, 2010, 01:31 PM report to moderator
Swampwolf-bucket_thumb

There are passages from the “book” here:

This is tragic. It seems like it’s not really a book but a brief summary of a book, that was probably barely published at all. Just a few random ideas thrown together. Obviously some lawyers are hunting through any old publications trying to find ones that are coincidentally related to Harry Potter in order to start a lawsuit.

There have been many other books which have more in common with HP (still not much!) and for which no lawsuit has ever been attempted. So this is clearly going to fail (having already been rejected once in the UK courts).

Posted by Janitor of Azkaban on February 19, 2010, 03:22 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

DobbyWinkyKreacher, great find that link! And very good of you other guys, who looked the book up on Amazon, etc. I hadn’t thought of that.
36 pages? Sueing, Jo, because wizards go on a train and play chess in a 36 page book? Sigh! Don’t worry, I’m not repeating my earlier rants (thanks for the compliments, btw).
Carina Potter: I was just thinking it. This is not one author sueing another for stealing (or having accidentally the same) creative ideas, this is an estate, the heirs of an author, sueing so they can get more money. Apparently, poor Adrian did not leave them enough money, so now, in a way, they are defiling his name. Because everyone who hears it, will think of this unjust and silly law suit.
Adrian must be cringing in the afterlife.
And see, what this ‘estate’ made me do: here I am, ranting again! ;o)

Posted by Tarana on February 19, 2010, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m0hexavzz21qb3do9o6_250_normal_thumb

Based on what theses stupid estate people think is plagerism, JKR should be able to sue the authors of Charlie Bone, Percy Jackson, and even The Mortal Instruments a bit. They all came out after HP. But she won’t because she’s not STUPID enough to think that they willingly copied her books just because of some superficial similarites. These estate people need a life.

Posted by Owana Potter on February 20, 2010, 12:18 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I went to the website for the extracts and found:
1. the story begins w/the boy at age 14- advancing into manhood/ HP started at age 11 – still a boy(a mental age diff)
2.willy is in college/ HP is in first year through 6th yr (7th yr he doesn’t attend)
3. in their hosp they used only rest and acupuncture for cures JKR used potions, and special spells/ and rest
4. their magical map told where you were to the authorities/ HP’s Marauders’ map helped to tell where the authorities were.
5. famous Willy made himself famous by using a spell to create headlines over Europe/ HP was already famous.
6. Wizards Castle was not a school and you were forbidden to use magic there. / In HP magic was used in classes (only not allowed in the halls).
7. internat’l wizards
wizards of different races came to the castle/ HP they came to the quidditch World cup – I think many books should show these type of scenes. It could make for a better more peaceful world.
8. Wizard chess- Willy had great chess players/Hp – they had moving/thinking chessmen.
9. they had a newspaper/HP had a newspaper – It’s a normal thing to have. Many stories have newspapers.
10 Transportation- flying on a swan , train, touching a dagger and popping into a place./ Same for HP but diff methods and more exciting in explanation – flying on thestals, the train, and diff portkeys.
11.An unknown Headless Aristocrat comes off of a carriage w/two birds on his shoulder but no head/ HP – Nick is nearly headless and is someone you see often at Hogwarts.
The overall atmosphere of HP is different from the atmosphere of Willy the wizard. JKR starts at an elementary level and addresses problems that they experience at various school ages. When she Writes you feel tht you are there because she describes your surroundings so well. She has a very funny sense of humor- I love her humor. she is a genius. I can’t take away from his book because I haven’t seen or read the actual book. We shouldn’t beat him down his book though. Maybe if he knew what his family was doing he may not like it. People tried to say tht JKR copied Jill Murphy’s books “The Worst witch” collections but she quickly dispelled the rumors to say tht her books were different from JKR. (I’ve read them all, they are interesting but not as indebt as JKR’s books. They also have movies of them)
I say to JKR to try not to worry about things like this and concentrate on your family, friends and fana. let the lawyers worry about how to handle the problems of people trying to sue. Set aside a time to discuss the prob to make sure you keep abreast of things and go back to life. After looking at the extracts from his book, I really don’t think a judge would conclude HP is like his book. There are slight similarities but many books have that. May Allah bless you with peace of mind and cheerful times with your love ones.
Sorry it’s so long.

Posted by molly43 on February 20, 2010, 01:28 AM report to moderator

Gah. People are just wasting their time and Jo’s time! I haven’t read this book or ever heard of it in my entire life….but if it’s really a 36 page book, then why even bother??? Jo did not create the HP series from a 36 page book! I feel for, Jo. :-(

Posted by FGFG on February 20, 2010, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Oh no! Here we go again with the lawsuits!

Posted by Girlraven1 on February 20, 2010, 07:53 PM report to moderator

So obviosuly a publcity stunt for attention about the book. Please DO NOT buy this book, The Adventures of Willy the Wizard-No 1 just so you can try to find any similarities/differences. It’s what they want.

Posted by Zoom on February 20, 2010, 11:24 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Aww poor Jo! I can’t believe this is happening again.. :(

Posted by da_member0808 on February 21, 2010, 02:28 PM report to moderator

Aunt Petunia's masterpiece of a pudding, the mountain of cream and sugared violets, was floating up near the ceiling. On top of a cupboard in the corner crouched Dobby.[br]"No," croaked Harry. "Please... they'll kill me...."