Ralph Fiennes Discusses Lord Voldemort

Fiennes
Posted by: Mel
December 07, 2010, 09:13 PM

In a new article in USA Today, Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) talks about his character in the Harry Potter films:

"He's really sort of the devil," says Fiennes, 47. "He's completely emotionally detached. He has no empathy. You find that in psychopaths."
For Fiennes, an Oscar nominee for playing a Nazi officer in 1993's Schindler's List, knowing your character's driving force is key to unlocking his potential for malice. "It's about power with Voldemort," he says. "It's an aphrodisiac for him. Power makes him feel alive."
...
Fiennes goes into Voldemort mode at the mere mention of Potter. "Daniel's very nice, but Harry Potter's a pain," says Fiennes, scowling and hissing.

Others in the Harry Potter cast weighed in on Fiennes's portrayal of Voldemort. Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) noted the presence Fiennes has while acting:

And no matter the lights, cameras and presence of dozens of crewmembers, Radcliffe was consistently unsettled by Fiennes. "When Ralph's doing his Voldemort stuff, he just really freaks me out."

Tom Felton, who plays Draco Malfoy, says he also was unnerved.
"Ralph is mesmerizing," Felton says. "He never did two takes the same. ... I had to keep reminding myself: 'Stay in character. Don't just sit there and watch his performance.' "
Even when the cameras stop, the aura of Voldemort remains.
"He dominates scenes in the film, and it's like that off the set as well," Felton says. "He's quite a charming guy. And when he opens his mouth, people listen. Let's put it this way: No one talks over him."

You can read more here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fiennes News

Wand_thumb

Thats pretty cool! He is a great actor! He’s got something for evil characters. I would be intimidated by him off set just because of the nose!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 08, 2010, 08:48 PM report to moderator
111253053264374815_j3jgvm8y_c_thumb

Very interesting. They have a great actor for Voldemort if people feel he dominates. Very nice!

Posted by ksddancer... ROAR!!!!!!! on December 08, 2010, 08:49 PM report to moderator

He really does dominate every scene he’s in- his performances have so much detail in them, it’s incredible.

Posted by andarocketship on December 08, 2010, 09:57 PM report to moderator

I can’t believe nobody on here really knows who Ralph Fiennes is before he was Voldy! I suppose if it was mandatory to post ages on here I would know why. But I’m not that much older than all of you (I hope), and even I know that Ralph and his family are an extremely well known and popular thespian family here in the UK. His brother Joseph was Shakespeare in Shakespeare in Love (and in everything else the Bard has written for the stage, not to mention the US TV series Flash Forward, although I’m sure he’d rather I not mention it) and Ralph has been in many dramatic movies, not always the villan. Anyone seen the English Patient? Goodness me. Ralph is a lot like many British actors and takes what he does seriously, as is the only way you are trained over here. Bloopers are seen as an embarrassment unless you are a comedian or on a comedy to begin with. But in real life (other interviews) he is very sweet, very smart and chooses his words carefully before he speaks. He is a thinking man, and I suppose a thinking woman’s kind of man. He most likely refrains from interviews in general and about Potter not because of disrespect but out of pure lack of interest in the whole media bonanza that engulfs anything anyone deemed a ‘celebrity’ does or says, he’ll do his promotional duty, but he is a private man. I actually think it is the mark of a truly talented actor to be so. The three main potter actors seem to be taking a leaf from that kind of book, which I feel will help keep their careers going for a long while if they choose to continue on.

I love the ‘You find that in psychopaths.’ comment. As if that is a given since we encounter that particular type of person on a daily basis. (Although I’m sure we encounter them more often than we think). But of course he takes his time to research understand his character. I know a few of you are too young to know this (it’s not your fault), but that is what actors are SUPPOSED to do. That is in fact their main job. I understand your surprise though, and I suppose while we’re at it we might as well commend the entire cast for being able to act whilst remaining fully clothed throughout the whole set of movies, unless bathing, swimming or in hazy visions provided by a locket.

Posted by PenelopeW on December 09, 2010, 01:42 AM report to moderator

research AND understand his character, that is.

Posted by PenelopeW on December 09, 2010, 01:46 AM report to moderator
1516_thumb

Yes, Its a combination, but i believe it’s mostly cg. The shape of his nose wouldn’t work under any prosthetics, I mean there’s no way his nose could be so flat under that makup for him to be able to breathe.
He is an awesome actor, in everything he does. I’ve seen quite a few of his movies & he really gets into his characters. Its to bad he didn’t win that oscar!!

Posted by weasleytwins55 on December 09, 2010, 03:02 AM report to moderator
1516_thumb

I’ve been a fan of his work for a long time before he was ever Voldemort. He plays such a wide variety of characters; Terrifying villain, Goofy polititian falling in love, & many others. Not to mention all the cool roles his played since he became Voldemort!! Amazing actor!!!!

Posted by weasleytwins55 on December 09, 2010, 03:09 AM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

“No one ever talks over him” – sounds a bit scary. He i the perfect Voldemort even if we don’t see the initial acting, as we see a strange mix of special effects and make up. But his voice and movements and facial emotions (which we finally see a lot in DH1) – these are very good. He really is scary in the film, like Voldemort should be.

Posted by Pollytomat on December 09, 2010, 05:50 AM report to moderator
Mad-eye-moody_thumb

Ralph Fiennes makes an awesome Voldemort, really how I imagined him, and it’s interesting to hear from him as I haven’t seen any interviews with him.

Posted by eccentricalice on December 09, 2010, 07:26 AM report to moderator
Morticia-and-gomez-addams_thumb

Very interesting. I’m glad to read something about him. He must be an amazing actor. :]

Posted by SecretlyAWizard on December 09, 2010, 04:10 PM report to moderator

Ralph Fiennes had a chilling performance in Schindler’s list. Voldemort is a lot like the Nazi he portrayed. He’s amazing at playing the terrifying villain.

Posted by blackpadfoot on December 09, 2010, 05:04 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Love the quote from Tom Felton about no one talking over him!!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on December 09, 2010, 07:13 PM report to moderator
Sunsethogwarts_thumb

HE PLAYS HIS PART WELL, HE HAS VOLDYBUTT DOWN PAT!! AND WITHOUT THE MAKEUP HE A VERY HANDSOME MAN!!

Posted by PHONELADY on December 10, 2010, 08:27 PM report to moderator
Sunsethogwarts_thumb

AND HE RIGHT HARRY POTTER IA A PAIN IN THE BUTT, ALL THAT PLOTING AND PLANING HE DOES AND HERE COMES HARRY WHO DOESNT PAY ATTENTION IN SCHOOL!!! IF I HAD SOMEONE TRYING TO KILL ME I WOULD LEARN SOME NASTY SPELLS QUICK!!!

Posted by PHONELADY on December 10, 2010, 08:32 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

I’m not surprised he freaks Dan out!

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on December 15, 2010, 05:38 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Well, well, well," said the Fat Lady, "Violet's just told me everything. Who's just been chosen as school champion, then?"[br]"Balderdash," said Harry dully.[br]"It most certainly isn't!" said the pale witch indignantly.[br]"No, no, Vi, it's the password