Followup: Brother of Padma Patil Actress Admits Assault

Legal
Posted by: Rosi
December 20, 2010, 11:50 AM

In a followup to a story from July, Ashraf Azad has admitted attacking his sister, Afshan (Padma Patil) over her relationship with a Hindu man. The Guardian reports, "Ashraf, 28, from the Longsight district of Manchester, admitted one charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm as his trial was due to begin at Manchester crown court."

The Padma Patil actress ran out of the family home through a bedroom after her brother overheard Afshan talking on the phone to her boyfriend:

[her] father was woken by his son shouting: "Sort out your daughter. She's a slag." He continued to further assault her, in disputed Bengali, shouting, "Just kill her."
"The assault continued. There was a discussion where she was being called a prostitute," the prosecutor said. Afshan Azad made a statement to police in which she said the threats to kill her continued.
Reading from her police statement, Vardon added: "My father began saying he would do it - a reference to kill her - as he did not want his sons to have her blood on their hands and he would do time for it." He said then she began to feel "very scared".

The newspaper states that Ashraf will be sentenced for the assault on 21st January 2011, following pre-sentence reports.

Afshan's father, Abdul Azad, was found not guilty of making a threat to kill his daughter and was bound over to keep the peace for 12 months. Ashraf Azad was also formally found not guilty of making the death threat against his sister. Afshan gave some statements, but did not attend the trial:

[Afshan] gave a statement to the two suspects' lawyer, saying: "I dearly love my father and brother. The proceedings have caused me no end of distress and if it goes ahead it will make things much worse for me."
She claimed she was not fluent in Bengali and that the threats she had alleged were actually her father saying "over my dead body" that she would be allowed to go out with a Hindu man.
Read more at The Guardian website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

2013-07-19_113504_thumb

I hope for all of their sakes that this family gets things straightened out. I truly hope these threats were not made against her. My thoughts go out to her and her family.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on December 20, 2010, 11:58 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lphabmv2ob1qcqbbso1_500_thumb

Oh I feel so bad for her =( Hope everything is gonna be alright, because that is so scary!
(Hey, I’m first!)

Posted by Bech7Raven [WBM] on December 20, 2010, 12:01 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

wow. i thought my family was messed up… :/ i hope this gets cleared up properly and that their family can be a family again. this is such a depressing story. :/

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on December 20, 2010, 12:51 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Really hope the Azad’s can sort everything out. I feel awful that Afshan feels the need to retract her statements to keep her family intact. Nothing more terrible that not feeling safe in your own home. Hope everything works out for the best and my wishes go out to her

Posted by KiwiMcI on December 20, 2010, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

I hope everything turns out for the best—either way there is a consequence (if the charges go through or they don’t; the family will have a lot of tension for a while)! i hope she is alright!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on December 20, 2010, 01:52 PM report to moderator

Oh dear!! I hope she will be alright <3

Posted by ExpectoPatronum512 on December 20, 2010, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Hewlett_packard_thumb

Wow that is confusing… I hope she’s alright.

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on December 20, 2010, 02:52 PM report to moderator
Mad-eye-moody_thumb

I hope that she is alright, and can find the strength to fall in love with somebody she loves instead of somebody she shares a religion with, regardless of her family’s issues.

Posted by eccentricalice on December 20, 2010, 03:03 PM report to moderator
Morticia-and-gomez-addams_thumb

That’s terrible. That is just so terrible. I feel so bad for her.

Posted by SecretlyAWizard on December 20, 2010, 03:50 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

How awful! That is just terrible!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 20, 2010, 04:23 PM report to moderator

thats horrible! =[ i hope shes ok now. thats kind of a messed up family no offense…. =[ hope at least she was in the final h.p. movie.. that would probably make her happier wouldn’t it?

Posted by Winkyxx on December 20, 2010, 04:24 PM report to moderator
146_thumb

That really is terrible. I hope she’s okay.

Posted by Darth Mary on December 20, 2010, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I sure hope she isn’t covering up for her brother/father. SHe deserves to live in peace and make her own choices of a boyfriend.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on December 20, 2010, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Asp10_thumb

Such a shame.

Posted by Finny on December 20, 2010, 05:17 PM report to moderator
20121227075238822000_thumb

thats awful! I hope the whole thing gets straightened out! I feel so awful for her!

Posted by MossHorpione on December 20, 2010, 05:34 PM report to moderator

"How many attacks have there been now? Two more this afternoon, wasn't it? At this rate, there'll be no more Muggle-borns left at Hogwarts, and we all know what an [i]awful[/i] loss that would be to the school."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014