USA Today Profiles "Harry Potter" Trio's Transition into Adulthood

Trio Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
December 01, 2010, 11:04 PM

USA Today has a new article about the Harry Potter trio and their future plans now that they are transitioning into adulthood.

Daniel Radcliffe (Harry), Rupert Grint (Ron), and Emma Watson (Hermione) filmed their final scene together over the summer. Grint commented on how anticlimactic it felt filming the final scene of the franchise.

"It's been such a long time," Grint says. "And it was such a random little scene. I was soaking wet. The three of us jump through a fireplace on a crash land, and that was it. It felt like it should be ending on something a bit more meaningful, but that's how it was."
Radcliffe talks about his next two projects: a film, the Woman in Black, which he's currently shooting, and the Broadway musical How to Succeed in Business (Without Really Trying). The play will open in February.
"I'm the first person to play the role this young," he says. Previously, Finch has been played by Robert Morse and Matthew Broderick. "I think it adds a dimension when someone who's playing it is actually as young as the character," says Radcliffe, who has put in hours of singing and dance training. (In his spare time, Radcliffe is a music aficionado and plays the bass.)
The actor relishes playing someone as "manipulative and conniving and almost Falstaffian" as the ambitious Finch, a character who is light-years away from the idealistic and heroic Harry Potter.
"Everything Finch does is morally reprehensible," he says. "But you kind of back him. How to Succeed in Business is about somebody who never lets his morals get in the way of his ambition."
Watson will continue her studies at Brown University in Rhode Island, but she is also eager to dabble in different activities, including theatre.

"I haven't been a stage actress. It really is a different ballgame. People kind of expect that I should be incredibly confident, but no, this is not what I'm trained in.
"If I'm in front of a camera, I'm very comfortable, but to be on a stage, you can't do a second take. You can't go back. It's frightening, but still, I like the adrenaline of knowing you get one shot. And the energy you get from a good audience, if they're really into it, is like nothing else."
Meanwhile, Grint is taking things slowly, "reading scripts and happily working on his golf."
"I'm just being a bit patient and waiting for the right thing," he says. "I'm not in a real rush. This last shoot was more than a year and a half and I'm pretty exhausted, really. Now that I'm finished, there's a real sense of freedom."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Trio Interviews News

Strange to read about them all in different places…

Posted by pottermate on December 01, 2010, 11:19 PM report to moderator
Ronnyhermy_thumb

I agree…it is sort of weird to read about them in non-Harry Potter related things =]

Posted by ::Elfie:: on December 01, 2010, 11:34 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

I like the fact that Rupert went on a crazy road trip with the Phelps twins to Barcelona – Fred lives after all!!! Sounds like they’re all genuinely happy, and that is a rarity with child stars.

Posted by Bless_the_children on December 01, 2010, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

i dont think its that strange, they’ve been doing so many different things, and they are amazing people, that you kind of expect them to be doing so many great things :D

its good to know that everything is going great for them :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on December 01, 2010, 11:44 PM report to moderator

I really hope the Broadway role works out for Daniel. I know he got rave reviews in his first play, but I have to say it worries me a bit that he has to dance in this one! He is not a dancer. I really hope it goes well. I would hate to see any of them get bad reviews, they all seem so sweet and have represented the roles so well.

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on December 01, 2010, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

Daniel is so hard-working, I bet he’s working overtime on his dancing classes. Harry is not a good dancer – but hope Daniel is!

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on December 02, 2010, 12:32 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

A nice article. The three have all grown into fine young people. The studio also deserves credit for taking good care of them when they were younger, and making sure they got a proper education.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on December 02, 2010, 02:36 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Its really funny how it feels to read about the trio in non HP things

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on December 02, 2010, 03:18 AM report to moderator
Headshot_thumb

They’re so grown up :,)

Posted by Lysh on December 02, 2010, 05:13 AM report to moderator

It’s not just that it’s non-HP, because yeah they’ve all done other stuff before, but this is now what’s happening next. It’s like their epilogue.

Posted by pottermate on December 02, 2010, 05:43 AM report to moderator

IT’s good to see them moving forward and not beign cast typed.

Posted by LdySnake on December 02, 2010, 06:35 AM report to moderator
20121227075238822000_thumb

The three seem to be going different ways; daniel to broadway, emma to college and maybe more screen, and rupert to…well, lounging:) I think thats pretty cool!

Posted by MossHorpione on December 02, 2010, 07:08 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

They’re so grown up

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on December 02, 2010, 07:17 AM report to moderator
781875269_029f43fa6f_thumb

It’s awesome to see them moving on and taking up new and fresh things, I will be following their future programs with interest!

Posted by ashim_gryffindor (Roar!) on December 02, 2010, 07:18 AM report to moderator

It makes it more real that the movies at an end. It has always been nice to see them with clear goals and how well rounded they are. I’m going to miss the “trio” but can’t wait to see them doing their individual projects.

Posted by kadashee on December 02, 2010, 07:40 AM report to moderator

"...those are enchanted windows; Magical Maintenance decide what weather we're getting every day. We had two months of hurricanes last time they were angling for a pay raise..."