Reports: Alexandre Desplat Returning to Score "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
November 07, 2010, 02:27 PM

Reports have come online regarding the choice of composer for the second part of the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film.  Filmonic.com is spotted a curious note in the "Deathly Hallows" website which seems to reveal that Alexandre Desplat will stay on board for the second film, and compose the "Deathly Hallows: Part II" soundtrack. The site notes:

Warner Bros. has yet to officially announce the composer for Part 2, but the official Deathly Hallows website mentions on Desplat’s bio page that he “next starts work on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, the conclusion of the Harry Potter franchise.”
While this is an interesting note indeed, we have yet to recieve official word on whether Mr. Desplat will compose "DH: II" from WB.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest.

Thanks to MN for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I’VE HEARD THE SOUNDTRACK ALREADY…IT’S HORRIBLE !!!! NO PLEASE NO, NOT ALEXANDRE DESPLAT AGAINTHAT MUSIC IS AWFUL. THE BEST CHOICE COULD BE JOHN WILLIAMS (Only intro music and ending music) AND THE WHOLE SOUNDTRACK TRACKS NICHOLAS HOOPER !!!! PLEASE, LET HOOPER TO DO THE FINAL SOUNDTRACK….BUT NOT DESPLAT, PLEASE DON’T !!! I HAVE MANY MANY FRIENDS AND THEY’RE SAYING THE SAME, DESPLAT’S SOUNDTRACK IS HORRIBLE !!!

Posted by Gellewald on November 08, 2010, 11:07 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_yt_icon_thumb

EPIC FAIL. I so wanted John Williams to come back and finish the series with a bang, just as he did when he started the series. I like Alexandre Desplat but he doesn’t really convey the Harry Potter theme in his music. I’ve listened to the part I soundtrack, and most of it doesn’t even go with the film and doesn’t have one bit of a Harry Potter feel to it. He definitely took on a new character when composing this soundtrack, and I don’t think he should do the second because it’s not really a Harry Potter soundtrack :/

Posted by spikester93 on November 08, 2010, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Logog_thumb

fantasitc composer, fantastic finale. what more can any of us want?

Posted by HasrionaOrganisation on November 08, 2010, 01:35 PM report to moderator
Logog_thumb

I mean, the music Alexandre Desplat has composed is absolutely fantastic! His music is so rich in melody and emotion, especially “Snape to Malfoy Manor” – that’s the best Harry Potter music I’ve ever heard. I’m so glad he’s coming back, not that William’s wasn;t good, because Williams’s was brilliant too, but Desplat’s music is more for these two, more macabre films.

Posted by HasrionaOrganisation on November 08, 2010, 01:37 PM report to moderator
Logog_thumb

Posted by HasrionaOrganisation on November 08, 2010, 01:38 PM report to moderator
A_mouse_digital_painting__anahita_____the_other_me___by_aty_s_behsam-d5p8l5n_thumb

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!
I LOOOOOVE HIM!
OH! THIS IS JUST WHAT I WANTED!
You know, John is a really composer, but he wouldn’t be good for DH at all!
But Alexandre NEVER disappoints!
does dance

Posted by Maxtina Potter (Aty) on November 08, 2010, 02:24 PM report to moderator

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM GUYS?!
The ONLY good tracks John Williams composed for HP were Hedwig’s Theme, Harry’s Wondrous World and Window to the Past. Yes. HP’s theme is wonderful, but come on! Alexandre Desplat’s themes for DH I are WONDERFUL too! He’s a FANTASTIC composer! Think up some logic guys! I mean, come on! Alex is much better for DH. John’s DARK themes aren’t really DARK, they’re just magical. Alex’s tracks are sad, dark AND magical!
SO glad he’s gonna compose DH II as well!

Posted by Maxtina Potter (Aty) on November 08, 2010, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Mockingjay_thumb

I never assumed JW would be back, so I can’t say I’m disappointed (I guess I missed the whole WB Brazil thing). I just figured he was done with Harry Potter.

Posted by Garret H. on November 08, 2010, 02:34 PM report to moderator

Many respects to Mr. Desplat, but I’ve heard the entire score and I’m stunned by how much of it is generic action/adventure music. There are no recognizable motifs, and no attention paid to the fact that there are six whole soundtracks of material before this. He’s not working in a vacuum. Like I said, the bland quality of it is very disappointing.

Posted by rdpalmer on November 08, 2010, 04:05 PM report to moderator

I think it’s a shame they didn’t use the composer of the Goblet of Fire soundtrack Patrick Doyle. I like his score a lot. The Story Continues has been my Ringtone for several years

Posted by washcap22 on November 08, 2010, 05:30 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

Did you guys over at WB hear that sound? Its the sound of every single Harry Potter fan’s heart breaking!

This is AWFUL! WE WANT WILLIAMS! MAKE IT WORK WB! No one else can truly bring this series to a satisfying end! Without Williams there will be a huge sense of incompleteness! In order for many of us to have any real closure we need Williams to finish what he started. To have someone else finish the series is practically blasphemous! This news makes me feel like crying. When I leave that theater after my very last midnight screening ever it has to be to the sound of something just as EPIC and iconic as the original Hedwig’s Theme and ONLY John Williams can give us that! Ending the series without him just feels all wrong in every possible way! WB PLEASE FIX THIS! This just can’t be happening!

Posted by bella vita on November 08, 2010, 05:48 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

@ Washcap22: I too really enjoyed Patrick Doyle’s GOF score although I think we’re in the minority! In fact it was the last HP score that actually sounded like it was definitively HP to me, you know what I mean? Doyle’s score was much more in sync with the previous three scores whereas Hooper’s have felt so drastically different that it felt like they were from a different movie/series entirely.

Desplat’s scores aren’t memorable in the slightest and never incorporate anything from any of the series’ previous scores! He did the same thing with New Moon! He flat out refused to even listen to Carter Burwell’s brilliant and highly memorable Twilight score before composing his score for the sequel so he simply did whatever he wanted and it didn’t fit the movie at all! Don’t get me wrong, Desplat makes absolutely beautiful music, but its all very generic and instantly forgotten as soon as you leave the theater! Plus if I don’t hear anything that’s instantly recognizable as Hedwig’s Theme even if its a different version in Part 2 I will totally lose it! DH Part 2 deserves SO much better and so do we as fans! This is just completely unacceptable and unforgivable!

Posted by bella vita on November 08, 2010, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWQKJEDKJSA EDIOWQU

That’s how i feel right now. I thought JOHN WILLIAMS WAS COMING BACK! DANGIT!!! I FREAKING GOT THE NEWS ON MY BDAY THAT HE WAS COMING BACK NOW ……grrrrrrr……. I will find the idiot who decides this and WRING HIS NECK.

Posted by ProfessorAlice on November 08, 2010, 07:06 PM report to moderator
Dh-all_s-fair-in-love-and-war_thumb

I wish that there was some way that all of us could show Warners Brothers how we feel about the composer. At least then they might think twice before automatically chooseing Desplat. John Williams has to end it, because it he began it, it has to go that full circle, the music has changed from composer to composer, but it has always kept the same few “themes” that have played at some of the major/ important/ touching moments, Deathly Hallows just won’t be a “Potter” film without those themes. And I regret that.

Posted by Hermione_Granger_Weasley on November 08, 2010, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-09-15_at_11

Some hopeful news!

Ain’t It Cool News just posted this interview with Alexandre Desplat. Him scoring Part 2 is just a rumor, and even HE mentions JOHN WILLIAMS:

K: Are you scoring DEATHLY HOLLOWS, PART 2? Have you been asked?

AD: There’s a rumor that I would write it, yes. That’s the rumor…

SK: So it’s not official yet?

AD: I think you’ve heard the rumor too.

[Both Laugh]

AD: With rumors, you never know. There was a rumor that John Williams will finish it.

Posted by MrPlinkett on November 09, 2010, 12:47 AM report to moderator

"I heard my dad," Harry mumbled. "That's the first time I've ever heard him -- he tried to take on Voldemort himself, to give my mum time to run for it..."[br]Harry suddenly realized that there were tears on his face mingling with the sweat.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014