Helena Bonham Carter Talks About The "Terrifying" Bellatrix Lestrange

Bonham Carter Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
November 27, 2010, 03:19 PM

A new profile from the LA Times Hero Complex blog focuses on Helena Bonham Carter and her infamous portrayal of Bellatrix Lestrange in the "Harry Potter" films.

The actress talks about her career and family, but also explains how she developed Bellatrix's character for the films.

“Bellatrix has really good fun, and she’s been a bit of surprise to me, in fact,” Bonham Carter said. “It wasn’t really there on the page. When I took it on, I found there wasn’t a huge amount to go by in the script, and I read the book and she wasn’t necessarily on the page there either, so I did ask [director] David Yates if I could bring a bit of other things or are these the Bibles? And he said yes, certainly, and apparently J.K. Rowling was very pleased with it when she saw it, and the childish dimension and the fact that she’s totally savage, that was a bit of departure.”
"I just felt she had to make an impression because there wasn’t much time in which to do so. And she had to be terrifying. She needed to be somebody you didn’t know what to feel towards. One moment she’s horribly revolting but then also weirdly sexy, maybe, or just disturbing to the mind when you watch her. There’s a lot of decaying, too, with the bad teeth. She’s been in prison for so long. The mad hair. She’s someone who has seen better times but still carries herself with the memory of what she was."
Bonham Carter also praises the crew working on the Harry Potter films and likens the experience to belonging to a "nice tribe."
“I love going back year after year. It’s refreshing. A lot of times in this business, it’s so transitory — it’s just 10 weeks here or there on a movie and then it’s over – but to see the same people over all that time, a decade, makes you feel really safe and secure. It was fantastically well-organized, the [assistant directors] are simply unbelievable, the best...It has been perfect for me, and I will miss it.”
More about Helena Bonham Carter and her thoughts about Bellatrix can be read at the LA Times. The interview also has some great information about Bonham Carter's next film, The King's Speech.

Thank you Jamie for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Bonham Carter Interviews News

Unknown_thumb

I think dhe finnaly got it right in this last movie. It seemed believable and scary. In the earlier movies it seemed too forced and cartoon like. And though it was more crazy, it was less terrifying.

first comment? :)

Posted by Katie_Lily on November 27, 2010, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Unknown_thumb

she* finally*

Posted by Katie_Lily on November 27, 2010, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Hewlett_packard_thumb

I totally agree. She got the Bellatrix character perfectly. I don’t know what I think of her; she’s my favorite character but I like when she died. She should’ve gone insane in Azkaban to the point where she was like Frank and Alice Longbottom, but since she’s not, she’s just completely sadistic, she could be one of the strongest, smartest characters in HP.

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on November 27, 2010, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-1-800x6001_thumb

I’ve always thought she played Bellatrix so well, and ive never really found fault in her performances. The way she is so unpredicatble, it makes such an interesting character, yet leaves you paranoid about what she’s going to do next!
cant wait to see her death scene in part 2, hope they do it justice :) :)

Posted by Laura Potter on November 27, 2010, 03:52 PM report to moderator

yes! she’s so amazing, in everything she’s in.

Posted by andarocketship on November 27, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator
111253053264374815_j3jgvm8y_c_thumb

She did the character amazingly. She was just as I pictured her. Bellatrix being my favorite villain for reasons I don’t even know I am extremely happy. She was just like a thing from a horror film but withmore depth and frankly passion. Se is an amazing character who is complex because you truly have to understand she has no conscience but incredible skill and knowledge not to mention everything else. Helena couldn’t make a better Bellatrix from her portrayal.

Posted by ksddancer... ROAR!!!!!!! on November 27, 2010, 04:10 PM report to moderator
146_thumb

She’s amazing. I love her :)
She’s pretty much the only reason I like Bella.

Posted by Darth Mary on November 27, 2010, 04:31 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Helena Bonham Carter did a wonderful job portraying a character I hated MORE than Voldemort!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on November 27, 2010, 04:53 PM report to moderator

She was the perfect Bellatrix— I was blown away by her performance in DH! When I read the books, she is who I picture as Bellatrix— even before I watched the movies, she has always been Bellatrix! Well done, Helena Bonham Carter, well done!

Posted by ExpectoPatronum512 on November 27, 2010, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Unknown_thumb

I agree sessionka! I hate Bellatrix more than Voldemort. Voldemort has reasons for becoming the way he did. You’d like to think that if he grew up in a loving family he would turn out alright. Although he probably would have been evil anyway. Bellatrix is evil for no reason.

Posted by Katie_Lily on November 27, 2010, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

Helena Bonham Carter is, I think, officially one of my favorite actresses……

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on November 27, 2010, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

She does a Great Bellatrix. I look forward to her fight with “Mrs. Weasley”.

Posted by budgie on November 27, 2010, 09:47 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

Helena Bonham Carter is an amazing actress over all, i love the way she portrays Bellatrix, she fits the script perfectly!

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on November 27, 2010, 11:04 PM report to moderator
Tom_felton_png_version_thumb

Lol, can u guys imagine if Yates removed the part where Molly duels Bella? It’s not totally unthinkable that he would do just that… but let’s hope not!

Posted by Aleks on November 28, 2010, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

@Aleks, the ‘not my daughter u…’ line is definitely in the movie, yates confirmed it, so i think its safe to say they will duel. but Helena is amazing in these movies, im completely in love with her :) shes just crazy!! loved reading her thoughts on the character, and how much the movies have meant to her :)

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on November 28, 2010, 02:18 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

They had Potions that afternoon, which was an unqualified disaster. Try as Harry might, he couldn't get his Confusing Concoction to thicken, and Snape, standing watch with an air of vindictive pleasure, scribbled something that looked suspiciously like a