Emma Watson Discusses Life at Brown University, Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint, and More

Watson
Posted by: Mel
November 27, 2010, 08:12 PM

The Daily Mail has a new article about Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), where she discusses many things, among them her experience thus far at Brown University:

On the first day at her US university - chosen over Cambridge because the latter was 'a bit Hogwarts-looking' - Emma Watson was bombarded by autograph hunters.
She was caught so unawares that she couldn't contain her shock: 'Everyone looked at me horrified, like, "Oh my God, what's wrong with her?"'
...
So how did she deal with the unwanted autograph hunters, once she had overcome her initial shock? In typical Emma Watson (and Hermione) style, it appears - with quiet determination.
She dusted herself down and decided that she would proceed as planned, on her terms. 'I just said, "I'm really sorry, but I'm here to study and I just want to be a student. Would it be OK if I don't sign, because you'll be seeing me around all the time anyway?"'
The fact that she has now completed her first year of studies is clearly something of a triumph, not least, she admits, because not a single shot of her in the shared uni bathroom has made its way onto the internet.
'One morning I was walking down the corridor from the bathroom in just a towel and I thought I must be mad, anyone could just snap me,' she says, laughing. 'But no one did. Not even when I had my birthday party. 100 people came, and not one person put a picture on Facebook.'

Watson also discusses how she thinks Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) have changed since she first met them, and the differences in her relationship with both of them:

She remains close to both Rupert and Daniel, and seems bemused by how they have both developed.
'It's funny, they've both gone completely opposite ways. At the beginning Rupert was very confident, really chatty, very outgoing, and Dan was the quiet shy one.
'I remember at the first press conference, he was so overwhelmed by the whole thing. Now, you can't shut Dan up. He's telling jokes, he's got this incredible energy. Rupert's gone quiet. He's much more reserved.
'We are like siblings. If I'm feeling a bit anxious or I need to talk something over with someone, Dan's the one I'll go to. We had this great weekend once. We were stuck in the middle of nowhere in Scotland in this castle.
'We were both meant to be in bed and I sneaked into Dan's room and stayed up watching movies all night, drinking Coke and eating M&Ms from the minibar.
'Rupert's the guy I go to when I want to be relaxed and have a good laugh. His dressing room is like a child's wonderland with every kind of game, every kind of sweet, every kind of whatever you can imagine. I go to him if I want to snuggle up on the sofa and watch television.'
Watson also talks about the adult actors on the set of Harry Potter and what she learned from them:

She cites Helena Bonham Carter and Emma Thompson as her role models.
'I learned from Emma how to behave on a set. She remembers everyone's name, she's incredibly courteous and considerate, and she makes everyone laugh.

'It's up to the leading actors and actresses to set the tone on a film set, and the first time I saw Emma I remember thinking, "That's the kind of actress I want to be."'

Indeed, when filming finished, Emma Watson bought all the crew members a Smythson leather notebook engraved with her thanks and a quote from Dickens: 'The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.' Emma Thompson would surely have approved.
Further on in the article Watson talks about the TV shows she watches to relax, her haircut, and juggling her schoolwork and her acting. You can read the rest of the article here. Thanks very much to Bea for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

The_master_close_up_thumb

A very nice interview. Or bits of the interview at least. :)

I was having a conversation with someone the other day who expressed the worry that the Trio would eventually end up in therapy after all the hoopla & all the money they have. I said I thought they were going to be just fine. Emma’s interview just backs me up. ;)

Posted by vespasian68967 on November 27, 2010, 08:45 PM report to moderator
Mv5bmje0njy5mte2nv5bml5banbnxkftztywnzu4mtk1

Great interview! Emma is truly a class act, and great role model for young girls.
Love her!

Posted by Beckster235 on November 27, 2010, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Good interview. All the best to Emma!

Posted by budgie on November 27, 2010, 09:35 PM report to moderator

I think it’s kind of sad Emma is so over Harry Potter, not even affiliating herself with a school that’s too “Hogwarts-looking”.

Posted by PotionsMaster7 on November 27, 2010, 09:50 PM report to moderator
Angiebumliac_hpdh_021_thumb

PotionsMaster, that is the abbreviated reason for Brown. She’s previously said that the American university’s broadness appealed to her. I think that’s more than likely the real reason.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on November 27, 2010, 10:10 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

Very nice article :D
Emma Watson is so lovely and im happy to hear that everything with her studies are going good :D
Keep it up! :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on November 27, 2010, 11:10 PM report to moderator
Stinkaavatar_thumb

DAILY FAIL is more like it. They took bits of previous interviews and strung them together. And twisted a few things as well. Leaky shouldn’t be passing this off as something “new”.

Posted by stinka on November 27, 2010, 11:35 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

why aren’t more girls today looking up to HER, (instead of other supposed female actresses on certain shows for kids that are to remained unamed for the moment)? well, she’s certainly a model for me, thats for dang certain. yay emma, this interview only reinforces the fact that u are THE BOMB!!! :D :D

Posted by hermy007 on November 28, 2010, 12:18 AM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

She certainly sounds like she’s very close to Dan and Rupert. I guess you it would almost be impossible not to be considering they practically grew up together.

Posted by akcorr on November 28, 2010, 12:28 AM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

Posted by akcorr on November 28, 2010, 12:28 AM report to moderator
Angiebumliac_hpdh_021_thumb

Shhh Stinka. I’m going to revel in the adorableness of her Rupert anecdote as long as I can. lol

Posted by mollywobbles23 on November 28, 2010, 01:12 AM report to moderator
30000_1505825006284_1254046483_31391768_3891451_n_thumb

Emma sounds so classy and lovely! It’s awesome to hear that she was inspired, and gave that rad gift to the crew!!

Posted by lumoslove on November 28, 2010, 01:37 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

you can’t help but fall in love with emma watson :) shes just so wonderfully well rounded and down to earth, such a breath of fresh air. could read her interviews forever, shes just so charismatic and real <3

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on November 28, 2010, 02:24 AM report to moderator
186087_1721944089_7979824_n_thumb

Hehe :)) ya! I also observed that between Dan and Rupert, when I was young I want to be Dan and Emma but it seems like they are just very good best friends. And every time I see the trio, it made me feel really good and glad. If Emma wants to be Emma Thompson, then Me they are my role models. It was just great and so good as in!. I’m thankful that I am one of those who knows them :)

Posted by blessi on November 28, 2010, 03:12 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Thats one good interview. Nice that she got good friends at the univ who understand her. Emma is really a wonderful actress

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on November 28, 2010, 04:25 AM report to moderator

"Is it those mad horse things?" said Ron uncertainly, staring at a point slightly to the left of the thestral Harry was patting. "Those ones you can't see unless you've watched someone snuff it?"