Dan Radcliffe Talks About Differences Between "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
November 27, 2010, 08:25 PM

Now that "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is in theatres, Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) has further elaborated on the differences between "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2":

"The last movie is going to be really, really fast-paced and a load of action in it, and it is like a war film," Radcliffe told Reuters. "If we had done this book in one film, the stuff that would have got cut is most of this film."

However, it's Part 1 that the actor finds more appealing because it contains the most character development.

"Part 1, Radcliffe added, is "so sedate compared to what the next one is going to be like. The next film, because you've had all the plot set up already, you can just kind of enjoy the insanity of all the action."

Radcliffe also said that the cast and crew felt a tremendous amount of pressure to get the final two films just right. As a result, some scenes were being rewritten the day before they were shot.

"It was constantly moving and had a less settled feel than the other ones had had," he said.

Deathly Hallows Part 1 opened Friday with a franchise-best $125.1 million bow, winning the weekend. Part 2 is scheduled to open in July. ABC Family recently acquired TV rights to both movies.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Img_0849_thumb

Finally saw the film and it’s difficult to watch even though you know it all turns out ok in the end. I can’t imagine how the next “war” film will be. Yikes! I will be glad to see the downfall of Narcissa and Voldemort though. They are quite the villians!

Posted by Katnordy5ROAR on November 28, 2010, 12:22 PM report to moderator
146_thumb

I CANNOT WAIT. GAH.

Posted by Darth Mary on November 28, 2010, 01:15 PM report to moderator
Romione-wallpaper-romione-29099904-1200-900_thumb

getting ready for the war!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Posted by rohit_ASP«Я☼AR» on November 28, 2010, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Happy_thumb

Omf, is it July yet?

Posted by Rachel Ravenclaw on November 28, 2010, 01:33 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

I can’t wait for July I want to see it now!!

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on November 28, 2010, 01:36 PM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

I only hope this isn’t going to be one of those frenetically paced, mind-numbingly low-brow action films! If they don’t start focusing or explaining the Snape/Lily connection at the beginning of this film, its going to be a bust IMO! I really hate to say it, but I almost don’t want to see it for fear of being deeply disappointed. Its been like watching the CliffNotes version of the story so far.

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on November 28, 2010, 01:45 PM report to moderator

The scenes I’m most excited for in Part 2 are the walk into the woods where Harry’s loved ones are all there with him, and the Prince’s Tale. I hope they do these justice and not cut things out from these scenes. I wish they would have focused more on Snape in movies 6 & 7. I thought they didn’t give Alan Rickman quite enough screen time. Specifically, I wish they had included the part where Harry finds out that Snape was the eavesdropper who told Voldemort about Trelawney’s prophesy to Dumbledore, which leads to the death of James and Lily, and how Dumbledore tells Harry that he believes this to be the single greatest regret of Snape’s life. That would really help out when we see the Prince’s Tale scene, but maybe they will still be able to convey the same emotions another way. I just hope Dan Radcliffe saying that Part 2 will be an action oriented war movie doesn’t mean that scenes like these will be shortened or made to seem less important.

Posted by SiriusLivesOn on November 28, 2010, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Dm_thumb

I agree with with Noble Birth Descending said. I think movie four onward should have been two films. Or even if ALL seven had made it to two movies (and while the first two would have probably been a bit boring, so much could have been added to really pack the punch… such as in the first one where there is so much more with the Dursleys? There could have been 45 minutes in there somewhere showing more of Harry growing up… even if it wasn’t in the book). The St Mungo’s scene from OoTP that was left out, could have been added in, and even used it more to make it worth making a set… that could have been a good portion of that movie. Sigh. It’s just my wishful thinking, however.

As far as extended blu ray editions, there was someone somewhere who made a comment about how probably after all eight are released there will be a special ultimate edition of all 8 (packaged together, of course) with every single deleted scene put in there, even if it isn’t perfect. And even if it is atrociously priced, what die hard fan wouldn’t buy it?) [I’m pointing to myself at this point, because I’m the one who had all 6 on DVD, and had just bought 1-4 Ultimate Editions on Blu-Ray, then found a special deal for all 6 on Blu-ray and bought that just because of the good deal. So I would definitely buy a special ultimate edition of all 8]

Posted by JenniferMalfoy on November 28, 2010, 03:59 PM report to moderator
20121227075238822000_thumb

Sounds cool!

Posted by MossHorpione on November 28, 2010, 04:21 PM report to moderator
The_magic_isnt_truly_gone_thumb

im sooooo excited for the second part at leaky con!!! splitting them up was the best idea ever!! i bet there will be an insane gift pack for all the movies after theyre all released (its sad its over though :( )

Posted by I am totally awesome on November 28, 2010, 08:59 PM report to moderator

After my 3rd time seeing DH 1, I was so glad that they decided to make the films into part the first and part the second (I like saying it that way because it makes me feel giggly ;D)! On my way home from the theater again yesterday, was thinking over and over again what would be left out and I wasn’t liking it. So really, although I’m upset that I have to wait for July next year, I really am glad that they did it this way. :)

Posted by LoonyMaddie3 on November 28, 2010, 10:31 PM report to moderator
Here_lies_dobby_thumb

The first thing I said after seeing part 1 was “that was amazing! I can’t wait for part 2!”
I AM SO EXCITED!!

Posted by Jenna27 on November 28, 2010, 10:47 PM report to moderator
Lolololrad_thumb

I made my anti-HP friend see P1 with me. She fell in love with it and is planning to read the books and see the midnight showing of P2 with me. :D We’re super excited! :D

Posted by CrazyKK on November 28, 2010, 11:47 PM report to moderator

I really appreciate that they split these into 2 separate films. I hope they release extended editions (a la Lord of the Rings) instead of just adding in the cut-but-can-still-fit things as deleted scenes.

Posted by Sammara on November 29, 2010, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

Exciting isn’t it but the wait is killing me

Posted by blackhair on November 29, 2010, 02:00 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry privately felt he'd rather face Slytherin's legendary monster than let Snape catch him robbing his office.