Jason Isaacs Discusses the Creation of Lucius Malfoy for the Films

Isaacs
Posted by: Mel
November 22, 2010, 11:22 PM

In an Entertainment Weekly article, Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) discusses how he initially put together the character of Lucius Malfoy in the first Harry Potter film he appeared in, "Chamber of Secrets." Isaacs talks about the contributions he made to the character's costume (which includes the wig) and his accent:

“I went to the set, and they had this idea of me wearing a pinstripe suit, short black-and-white hair,” Isaacs recalls. “I was slightly horrified. He was a racist, a eugenicist. There’s no way he would cut his hair like a Muggle, or dress like a Muggle.” So Isaacs suggested instead that he wear a long white wig, and a particularly ostentatious wizard-like ensemble. “In order to keep the hair straight, I had to tip my head back, so I was looking down my nose at everyone. There was 50 percent of the character. I asked for a walking stick, which [Chamber of Secrets director] Chris Columbus first thought was because I had something wrong with my leg. I explained I wanted it as an affectation so I can pull my wand out [of the cane]. After a second’s thought, he said, ‘You know what, I think the toy guys are going to love you.’ He was completely right.”
Next: Malfoy’s accent. “There’s a particular art critic in England who has a voice like fingernails on a blackboard,” says Isaacs, who in real life has a far more accessible, slightly working class London accent. “I combined him with a teacher I thought was patronizing and sadistic when I was in drama school. To me what [the accent] smacks of is a sense of entitlement. I just wanted to find a voice that made him drip with the millennia that his family had been in power — complete disdain and contempt for anybody and everything else.”

Isaacs goes on to talk about director Chris Columbus's reaction to the accent and Daniel Radcliffe's (Harry Potter) opinion of it. You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs News

Harry_thumb

I love it when good guys- like Jason- play bad guys. And he doesn’t play Lucius as a stereotypical villain- thank goodness for that! Evil wizards have been around in films since they began making them, but it takes a good actor to convey the dark soul of someone as malevolent as Lucius Malfoy.

Posted by Paskunius Senus on November 23, 2010, 09:24 PM report to moderator

He is perfect for Lucius! And I love that he is so enthusiastic about his character and the movies/books in general. It’s great when a real fan gets to be in the movies.

Posted by badger666 on November 23, 2010, 09:26 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_thumb

He must mean the fabulous Brian Sewel… Art Critic for the London “Evening Standard” Newspaper! What a perfect choice. And, Yes Mr Columbus, there really are people who speak like that!

Posted by HogwartsChaplain on November 24, 2010, 05:26 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Good job Jason

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on November 24, 2010, 06:54 AM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Jason Isaacs is an amazing actor. Trying to make him look like a rich muggle would have failed completely. I am so glad that the Producers kept Isaac’s portrayal of Lucius Malfoy in the films. His acting helps us understand Draco better as well. In the Deathly Hallows movie you can feel how afraid he is of Voldie, and he conveys how desperate Lucius is to regain Voldemorts’ favor once more.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on November 24, 2010, 12:53 PM report to moderator
Seraphim-rose-icon_thumb

Here is a sample the voice of Brian Sewell – the basis for the Jason Isaacs Lucius Malfoy:

The resemblance is pretty obvious, once you know – but Lucius is crisper, and certainly more sinister.

Posted by Tar-Palantir on November 24, 2010, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

There’s no question that Mr. Isaacs has created a brilliant Lucius Malfoy. I can’t picture anyone else playing that character.

Posted by AvanelleWood on November 24, 2010, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Enormous_lucius_thumb_thumb

I can’t imagine anyone but Jason playing Lucius Malfoy

Posted by Rsheppard on November 25, 2010, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

He looks kind of hot in that picture :/

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on November 26, 2010, 03:50 PM report to moderator
Hewlett_packard_thumb

Good thing they didn’t mess up his appearance. Even though JK never says anything about how he looked in his books they got it perfectly.

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on November 27, 2010, 03:45 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

What is with the hair people on these movies and their desire to give both Mr and Mrs Malfoy skunk hair? First they tried to give Lucius skunk hair then even though that proved an epic failure when his wife Narcissa came along they gave her the skunk hair instead despite the fact that the hair of both characters is described as an almost white blonde just like Draco’s!

I’m sorry, but movie Narcissa’s hair just KILLS me! I mean seriously what was the point of doing that to her hair? She looks totally ridiculous and NOTHING like Narcissa in the books to the point that it completely distracts me from her performance! Even the length of her hair is all wrong and her hair color is an absolute joke despite the US version of HBP having an illustration of Narcissa’s hair from the back clearly showing what her hair looks like at the start of the “Spinner’s End” chapter and how she’s actually described. Even Harry admits in GOF that she would’ve been quite attractive if it weren’t for the constant expression of disgust on her face, but does anyone find movie Narcissa attractive with that hair? I certainly don’t!

Jason is just so brilliant and dedicated to these films, its fans, and his character that I’d really hoped that whoever they cast to play his wife would be equally dedicated to their character so it disappointed me when I saw the saw the first stills of Narcissa from HBP. If she were even half as dedicated as Jason and Tom she would NEVER have allowed them do that to her character’s hair.

Ok done ranting! As always LOVE Jason in this article and in DH 1! Like everyone else here I too felt sorry for him when Voldemort snapped his cane, but Draco is the one I felt deeply sorry for. He hardly even bothered to keep Harry from taking those wands and after a few seconds of pulling back and forth between them it seemed as if he simply just let go on purpose. I’m super nervous and excited to see how they’ve changed the ending for Lucius! I just hope they don’t kill him! I also wonder whether or not we’ll see the Malfoys being tortured for the trio’s escape or did Dobby show up before anyone was actually able to call for him?

Posted by bella vita on November 27, 2010, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

So glad they picked Jason Isaacs I can’t imagine Lucious with short black and white hair and wearing something a muggle would wear?!

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on November 28, 2010, 03:08 PM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

Brilliant, and superb, Lucius Malfoy that guy. Actors like him should be looked up to.

Posted by potternotrotter on February 05, 2011, 02:41 AM report to moderator

"What did he do to you, Diddy?" Aunt Petunia said in a quavering voice, now sponging sick from the front of Dudley's leather jacket. "Was it -- was it you-know-what, darling? Did he use -- his [i]thing?"[/i]

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014