Jason Isaacs Discusses the Creation of Lucius Malfoy for the Films

Isaacs
Posted by: Mel
November 22, 2010, 11:22 PM

In an Entertainment Weekly article, Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) discusses how he initially put together the character of Lucius Malfoy in the first Harry Potter film he appeared in, "Chamber of Secrets." Isaacs talks about the contributions he made to the character's costume (which includes the wig) and his accent:

“I went to the set, and they had this idea of me wearing a pinstripe suit, short black-and-white hair,” Isaacs recalls. “I was slightly horrified. He was a racist, a eugenicist. There’s no way he would cut his hair like a Muggle, or dress like a Muggle.” So Isaacs suggested instead that he wear a long white wig, and a particularly ostentatious wizard-like ensemble. “In order to keep the hair straight, I had to tip my head back, so I was looking down my nose at everyone. There was 50 percent of the character. I asked for a walking stick, which [Chamber of Secrets director] Chris Columbus first thought was because I had something wrong with my leg. I explained I wanted it as an affectation so I can pull my wand out [of the cane]. After a second’s thought, he said, ‘You know what, I think the toy guys are going to love you.’ He was completely right.”
Next: Malfoy’s accent. “There’s a particular art critic in England who has a voice like fingernails on a blackboard,” says Isaacs, who in real life has a far more accessible, slightly working class London accent. “I combined him with a teacher I thought was patronizing and sadistic when I was in drama school. To me what [the accent] smacks of is a sense of entitlement. I just wanted to find a voice that made him drip with the millennia that his family had been in power — complete disdain and contempt for anybody and everything else.”

Isaacs goes on to talk about director Chris Columbus's reaction to the accent and Daniel Radcliffe's (Harry Potter) opinion of it. You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs News

Wow! Awesome article and great insight into Lucius!

Posted by glow_freak on November 23, 2010, 08:35 AM report to moderator
Slyth016princessbloomy_thumb

Don´t you just love Jason and his Lucius?:)

Posted by Black_wind on November 23, 2010, 08:47 AM report to moderator

It is a real testament to the capacity for empathy of Potter fans that we all winced for Lucius Malfoy of all people when Voldemort snapped his wand. I’ve only seen the movie once so far but the look on Voldemort’s face is still with me. He knew how much that hurt. He knew how humiliated Lucius would be. He pauses a moment before continuing just to see if Malfoy would do something, anything – like a cat scooting a half-dead mouse across the floor with its paw.

Posted by Curandera on November 23, 2010, 09:20 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Great interview! I love his accent and his wig! Thank goodness that he wore that wig!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 23, 2010, 09:26 AM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I love how the younger Dan thought the accent was “cool”, so they let Jason proceed with it!

Posted by sueml on November 23, 2010, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Lala_thumb

Jason is absolutely brilliant, and hearing that he’s such a good fan makes me love him even more. I’m so glad he cared enough about the character to try and get the director’s image changed; the old idea sounds awful!
He’s so wonderful in Deathly Hallows- all those small movements when Voldie is taking his wand- and I could almost feel bad for him. He’s the one who made me interested in Lucius; until I saw his performance I only really cared about Draco and, after DH, Narcissa.

Posted by lunawannabe on November 23, 2010, 12:22 PM report to moderator

MTA offering service to Hogwarts? Magical Harry Potter train line appears on subway sign

Posted by chris_anderson on November 23, 2010, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

Jason really wanted to get into character! Amazing insight :)

Posted by devilskinn on November 23, 2010, 02:39 PM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

@Lunawannabe it was similar with me :-? Jason was the reason I became more interested in Lucius

Posted by devilskinn on November 23, 2010, 02:40 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

Brilliant actor! He was perfect again as a totally desperate Lucius in Deathly Hallows. Thanks for all of your fabulous work, Mr. Isaacs!!

Posted by RavenclawDancer on November 23, 2010, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Avatars_holiday_winterholidays_jan08_005_thumb

I love Jason Isaac’s Lucius! <3 He does the perfect job portraying him as snobbish and sexy. :D And I felt so bad for Lucius when Voldy broke his precious pimp cane…XP Anyways, great interview. Gotta love that picture too…daydreams

Posted by Lucius' Slut on November 23, 2010, 04:01 PM report to moderator

Great article — love how it was wanting to measure up to Alan Rickman that made him work so hard at the character! :) I, also, felt sorry for Lucius in DH I — it’s impossible not to.

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on November 23, 2010, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12001 Points

Lucius got something he never expected, and Jason shows that well.

Posted by budgie on November 23, 2010, 05:20 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

Haha, it’s rather amusing how, when they couldn’t make Lucius have the black and white wig, they gave it to Narcissa……… I’m quite glad he insisted on the long blonde one! And the wonderful walking stick! XD

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on November 23, 2010, 06:02 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

Jason Isaacs has done wonders with his character. Her really cares about all the little details which make Lucius so great, the accent is THE thing that pulls it all together. Jason was AMAZING is part one and I cant wait to the the ending with whatevre happens to Lucius.

Posted by LunaLuver on November 23, 2010, 07:28 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

[i]"Ginny!"[/i] said Mr. Weasley, flabbergasted. "Haven't I taught you [i]anything?[/i] What have I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself [i]if you can't see where it keeps its brain?"[/i]