Jason Isaacs Discusses the Creation of Lucius Malfoy for the Films

Isaacs
Posted by: Mel
November 22, 2010, 11:22 PM

In an Entertainment Weekly article, Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) discusses how he initially put together the character of Lucius Malfoy in the first Harry Potter film he appeared in, "Chamber of Secrets." Isaacs talks about the contributions he made to the character's costume (which includes the wig) and his accent:

“I went to the set, and they had this idea of me wearing a pinstripe suit, short black-and-white hair,” Isaacs recalls. “I was slightly horrified. He was a racist, a eugenicist. There’s no way he would cut his hair like a Muggle, or dress like a Muggle.” So Isaacs suggested instead that he wear a long white wig, and a particularly ostentatious wizard-like ensemble. “In order to keep the hair straight, I had to tip my head back, so I was looking down my nose at everyone. There was 50 percent of the character. I asked for a walking stick, which [Chamber of Secrets director] Chris Columbus first thought was because I had something wrong with my leg. I explained I wanted it as an affectation so I can pull my wand out [of the cane]. After a second’s thought, he said, ‘You know what, I think the toy guys are going to love you.’ He was completely right.”
Next: Malfoy’s accent. “There’s a particular art critic in England who has a voice like fingernails on a blackboard,” says Isaacs, who in real life has a far more accessible, slightly working class London accent. “I combined him with a teacher I thought was patronizing and sadistic when I was in drama school. To me what [the accent] smacks of is a sense of entitlement. I just wanted to find a voice that made him drip with the millennia that his family had been in power — complete disdain and contempt for anybody and everything else.”

Isaacs goes on to talk about director Chris Columbus's reaction to the accent and Daniel Radcliffe's (Harry Potter) opinion of it. You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs News

Neil_gaiman_sex_god_thumb

Oh, first!

I love it when actors really care enough about characters to have some input. Jason Isaacs definitely did a great job with his contributions.

Posted by Lady Carli Black on November 22, 2010, 11:37 PM report to moderator

Brilliant job Jason. Love your contributions to the character.

Posted by Ratorr on November 22, 2010, 11:44 PM report to moderator

Love Jason Isaacs, love when actors bring something extra (like this) to the character.

Posted by andarocketship on November 22, 2010, 11:50 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-08-05_at_5

It’s great how enthusiatic he is about his role in the film and how he cares about the fansites. I find it really funny too how much he loves that cane, when voldemort snapped in the the movie he must have been truly heartbroken.

Posted by Sirius17 -ROAR_ on November 23, 2010, 12:03 AM report to moderator

Isaacs is a great actor and was absolutely perfect for the part!

Posted by CMac on November 23, 2010, 12:34 AM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

There’d be no better person to play Lucius than Isaacs :D Great job! :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on November 23, 2010, 12:53 AM report to moderator
Deathly_hallows_poster_3_thumb

As an actress myself I am fully awed by his brilliant choices. I have always been a Jasson Isaacs fan but he made me a die hard Lucius Malfoy fan. The way he says every line with that silky snide self righteous attitude dripping from his every pore is for lack of a better adjective fantastically brilliant. I too was saddened to see Voldemort snap the cane in the movie, It was perfect for his character to do so, but I felt like I could feel Lucius’ pain in that moment because I’m one of the geeks who actually purchased the walking stick replica from the noble collection, and in that moment I was like “no don’t break my staff.” I love Malfoy and I love Jasson Isaacs, the more we see of him the better!!!

Posted by MalfoyDiva on November 23, 2010, 02:22 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Jason Isaacs is so perfect for the part and I’ve always loved it that he knew enough about the character to know just how Lucius would dress and talk. Fantastic call, Jason.

Posted by Eeyore on November 23, 2010, 02:27 AM report to moderator
781875269_029f43fa6f_thumb

Jason Isaacs added those essentials bits needed for Lucius, great job Isaacs!

Posted by ashim_gryffindor (Roar!) on November 23, 2010, 03:07 AM report to moderator
Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

He is a brilliant actor! I love him!!!<3 I wish I could meet him and say it to him personally!!!

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on November 23, 2010, 03:27 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

Oh thank goodness he stopped them from messing up his hair and clothing! I always thought Narcissa’s hair was really strange, but I get they were trying for a combo of blond for Malfoy and black hair for her maiden name of Black. She is a minor character so far so it has been too much of a bother; messing with Lucius’s hair would have just been too much.

Posted by Bless_the_children on November 23, 2010, 04:09 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

He was superb in the new film. I almost felt sorry for Lucius!

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on November 23, 2010, 04:47 AM report to moderator
58118_132230363492317_100001160614391_151843_1249933_n_thumb

Thank Goodness he was there to make sure they didn’t mess up Lucius’s costume!

Posted by JK.jr. on November 23, 2010, 06:09 AM report to moderator

wow I love how he played Lucius so well! and good thing they didn’t mess up his costume!

Posted by DancewithaGinger on November 23, 2010, 06:41 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

I love Jason’s ragged, haunted look in DH. He does Lucius brilliantly!

Posted by Lillylove on November 23, 2010, 07:48 AM report to moderator

"An ordinary common or garden rat like this can't be expected to live longer than three-years or so," said the witch. "Now, if you were looking for something a bit more hard-wearing, you might like one of [br]these --"[br]She indicated the black rats, who