Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

1980 Points

I loved it. the opening was AMAZING. whish though they showed dudley saying that he wasnt a waste of space but they wouldt have time for that. i really liked the movie they didnt skip anything. the only probelm i dint like is the movie went by fast. like some sences just went by fast but i under stand that they have to make the movie short cuz they cant fit all that in and idnt feel right. and it didnt have the harry potter feeling.

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on November 19, 2010, 07:25 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

oh i was extremaly upset that they didnt show lilys letter. whenthey skipped that part i freaked out. oh and also in Godrics Hollow they didnt show how harrys partents died after nagini attaced. that would have been intersting. og LOVED when hermione was tell the stories after the botheres.

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on November 19, 2010, 07:28 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Wow, so I guess I’m going to have to be the one to break the trend… I didn’t like the movie. I feel horrible about not liking it, especially because everyone else seems to have loved it, but I just didn’t enjoy it the way I thought I would.

I thought the whole thing was full of awkward moments (I remember hating the script in general, though I don’t remember specific dialogue/story issues right now), and in general, very slow/delayed responses of the characters (I guess the chase scenes never seemed realistic & didn’t really engage me). I felt like a bunch of moments that shouldn’t have been funny were made out to be funny. I did a lot of wincing. The characters kind of annoyed me. I never felt like I was engaged the way I was meant to be.

I feel absolutely horrible now. I guess I’m just really disappointed. Though, to be fair, my excitement about the movie – after being completely psyched all day before seeing it – dropped about when we sat down in the theatre. The atmosphere wasn’t great, either (very small theatre + drunk teenagers yelling + sitting near the front and having to practically lie back on the seat).

Normally after first seeing an HP movie I feel all glowy/gushing with excitement, you know? DH didn’t do that for me. I’m really hoping that’ll change. Maybe I was just tired/in a weird mood. Dobby and Luna were brilliant, however. And I loved the bit at the beginning when Harry revisited the closet under the stairs, because it brought up that nostalgia that makes me want to cry.

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on November 19, 2010, 07:28 PM report to moderator

I thought that this film was very very close to what i saw in my head.
I’ll start with the things that made me disappointed/cringe
- naked hermione: it made me feel very uncomfortable watching Harry and Hermione feasting on eachother topless. They are 17 and it just didn’t seem needed.
- animated beedle: that cartoon story of the three brothers made me want to scream. i hated it so bad. it took away the feel for the movie, made wizards seem unreal and stupid. It was too tim burton.
- choppy: harry’s visions were so choppy, and my friend who hadn’t read the books was lost at and i had to explain.
- mad-eye: mad-eye, who? oh… did he die? sucks… ah well. Include the firewhisky and i won’t complain…. to mad-eye!
- wormtail: at least kill him off and don’t insult Jo’s choice to have him dead.
- polyjuice: they really did hype that up. bits looked really cheap. like a press of a “fade from ron to harry face” button.
- snatchers: i loved the idea of you say “Voldemort” and the snatchers appear. but Hermione’s perfume? really?
- no mentions of my faves: i loved little things like Lily’s letter, Hermione putting Ron under the invisibilty cloak and showing Harry to save Xeno, and Tonk’s pregnacy was nothing but a wink to the book readers who would only know to make the conection (oh and btw, wait till you here the news) OOOOH we know your pregnant, but the non-readers don’t. readers, explain!

Now for things i did love and made me actually love this film adaptation

- Dobby: oh Dobby. You little cutie. he was animated very well and i think he was perfect, from “Dobby didn’t mean to kill, just cause serious harm” – I SOBBED when he died. And Steve Kloves last words for him made me cry even harder “Dobby, is a happy elf” – say no more. you had me at Dobby.
- Hermione’s torture: this scene was amazing. my favourite by far. the image of Bellatrix pinning poor Hermione to the floor and Emma’s acting! oh my gosh, she was CHILLING. i cried here too, i regret to say.
- Dance: although i felt a bit uncomfortable when Dan was moving like he was and taking the locket off Hermione, i thought it was cute. And much needed.
- Godric’s Hollow: this scene would of been perfect if it hadn’t been for that stupid stumble into that random child’s bedroom. Just gave it an element of comedy, which it really wasn’t.
- GORY: i loved the pure disgusting feeling to the film. Bathilda, “mudblood”, “nagini, dinner” – that murder Charity Burbage scene was pretty naughty. Showed Voldemort at his absolute worst. YES! :)
- Hermione’s Parents: wait…. Hermione has parents?! It was nice to finally see them get a mention. it shows the sacrifise that Hermione + Ron take for Harry.
- Luna: just… Luna. (I’d say her Dad too, but i wasn’t concerntrating i was too busy screaming into my fists at the stupid cartoon)
- Hermione + Ron: cuties. little things like “always the tone of surprise” and whiping blood away from Hermione’s chin.
- most scenes were very close to the ones i imagined in my head. the feel and look to them at least.

Overall i came out feeling very positive about it and it left me DYING to see the next one.

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on November 19, 2010, 07:34 PM report to moderator

By far the best movie of the series. Acting was perfect. Will be seeing it again and again!!!!!

Posted by bacbetz on November 19, 2010, 07:36 PM report to moderator

oh yeah! and the little things like going back to the toy horses and men in the cupboard under the stairs made me want to cry! i felt so much closure :(
- i could almost here vernon saying “no more mail through THIS letter box”

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on November 19, 2010, 07:37 PM report to moderator
Dh-all_s-fair-in-love-and-war_thumb

It is my favorite. Deathly Hallows has it all, the deaths, the magic, the jokes, and the kisses. It was great, amazing, fantastic, and epic. The only things that I have to complain about is the Dursleys being almost left out and the letter from Lily. But they can introduce the letter later. They are good at that!!

Posted by Hermione_Granger_Weasley on November 19, 2010, 07:41 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_wallpaper_thumb

It was absolutely amazing! Of course, I was extremely tired and will have to go see it again but it is the best one by far! I have to say Ruperts acting was beyond brilliant, its amazing how talented he is. Also, Emma was an amazing actor in this film the scene with Helena was probably one of my favorites and it was so breath taking ( in a good/bad way ) And of course Dan played his role perfect! Overall I thought they did a great job of telling the story and I loved how they portrayed the Deathly Hallows when Emma read it! The only complaint I have is that I wish they would have had that emotional scene between Harry and Dudley and it would have been spot on for me! Still, this will defiantly always (until July ;) ) be my favorite one!

Posted by LoveIsHBP on November 19, 2010, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_wallpaper_thumb

Oh and also I LOVED LOVED LOVED the scene when Harry and Hermione danced, it was beautiful! I also loved Dobby! :)

Posted by LoveIsHBP on November 19, 2010, 07:48 PM report to moderator

I thought that it covered everything necessary to still fulfill the plot. It was faithful to the book in everything it included. And I felt so many different emotions- the actors really have matured and showed so much deep emotion and feeling that really moved me. In one word, EPIC. will I see it again, multiple times? yes. all round incredible success.

Posted by wizardingwheezes on November 19, 2010, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_icon_by_mrs_severus_snape_thumb

I really liked it. Didn’t re-read the book, because I wanted to go in with my blurry memories and not feel upset. However, I did keep waiting for things that didn’t happen. That is ok though, because I still loved it. This is by far the best so far. It looked and felt how I pictured it when reading. Though the scene in Godric’s Hallow was missing the statue of the Potters, I still very much loved it and again the look and feel matched how I pictured it when reading. Bathilda was horrifying! The silver doe scene was PERFECT and the monsterous thing inside the locket was ten times more shocking than I imagined. I actually gasped when it opened. I was sad that we didn’t get to spend more time at Grimauld Place with Kreacher. Also sad that the fight with Lupin didn’t make it. AND, I was a little put off with how the part with Wormtail was handled. But, I figure there is good reason and am staying positive. Can’t wait for Part 2! Yay!

Posted by TrendHater73 on November 19, 2010, 07:55 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

It was excellent! Great performances, photography, direction…BUT why why why change certain things? The Invisibility Cloak is one of the Hallows! It was the Trio’s main defense while on the run, yet they seem to have forgotten it exists?
Also, on behalf of teh Dean Thomas Appreciators Society (just made taht up) I have to say WTF?
And, I admit I was looking forward to teh Dursleys’ last scene. Their little bit did not satisfy me, no closure. THough I did start crying as soon as they showed Hermione in her room. Sob
I think we could all break down the differences for ages, but overall I enjoyed immensely (except for the three projector fails we had at my theater >:(
Is it July yet?

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on November 19, 2010, 07:58 PM report to moderator

Loved it! Loved loved loved it! They did justice to Dobby, his death was so sad! I locoed the destruction of the locket scene. This was my favorite by far! My only complaint is the lack of explanation of the mirror and the lack of explanation about why the horocruxs might be Hogwarts founders objects. Over than that true to the book and absolutely amazing!

Posted by doughboy6390 on November 19, 2010, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_thumb

I thought the movie was fantastic! Dobby was definitely my favorite part of the whole thing.

My two major problems with it though are one, for those in the world that haven’t read the books, they would have absolutely no idea where the broken mirror piece came from! My other problem is, and I’m not sure if anyone else noticed, but unlike all the movies beforehand, there was no variation on Hedwig’s theme! As a band geek, it kind of bothered me…

Posted by schwanna on November 19, 2010, 08:11 PM report to moderator

I was not very smart re-reading the book and finishing it the day before the movie came out. I am a bit surprised that so many peole are so happy with it. I felt that so much was not placed correctly. The pace of the movie in some parts were way to long and had nothing to do with any real information that was needed. The fact that there was no invisibility cloak changed almost all of the scenes. The ministry scene was way off. I HATE that Bellatrix carved mudblood into Hermiones arm there was absolutely no reason for her not to use the cruciatus curse. So many other parts just lost their importants. The locket was not described to be so big. I have never been able to be okay with the fact that death eaters can fly because truly only Voldemort and Snape can fly without any help. What about Lilys letter, Pettigrews moment of remourse, the relationship built with Kreacher, Rons family going into hiding at Bill and Fleurs, the Lovegood scene was completely wrong, the staue in Godrics Hollow. Wow I could go on and on. It was a good movie for a movie in itself and as the books got more complicated the movies have to leave things out. Whats imprtant to me in the book doesnt match up to what someone else might think is important. I guess I am also just sad that this is all going to end very soon.

Posted by bettey77 on November 19, 2010, 08:21 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

The following day, two more girls asked him, a second year and (to his horror) a fifth year who looked as though she might knock him out if he refused.[br]"She was quite good-looking," said Ron fairly, after he'd stopped laughing.[br]"She was a foot talle