Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

I cannot even begin to describe to you how much I cried.
Firstly, I saw it twice today, once at 12am, and then again at 11am.
It was EPIC.
The very beginning when Hermione wipes her parents memories and she disappears from the pictures was very… It was great. I loved it. It was very heartbreaking though.
I dislike how they skimmed over Mad Eye’s death….
Tom Felton rocked, Emma rocked.
Ron leaving was very heartbreaking.
Dobby’s death was done really well.
Bellatrix is so… EVIL.. :)

Posted by Emma_Weasley on November 19, 2010, 06:39 PM report to moderator
Avcj_thumb

I just can’t wait to see it again! It was so well done, I thought and I have nothing but great things to say about it!

Posted by Princess Leia on November 19, 2010, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

This is probably going to be long. I always have loads to tell when it comes to a new Potter film. And I’ll do it in 2 parts as well :D
PART 1- DISLIKE
Did I like it? Yes,I did. I’m not dissapointed but I expected more on emotional level. And the biggest problem with that was the soundtrack. If the music isn’t right, the scene will suffer. Almost each composition in strong emotional scenes didn’t work out. It just didn’t express those emotions. I’m really sad about it. Music was better in action scenes but again, it felt so fake,so ordinary. The whole soundtrack DID NOT express the feelings of the scenes.
I started with the things I didn’t like so I’ll continue. I really miss the Dursleys. They didn’t deserve this kind of ending. I miss Dudley/Harry. The mirror. Dumbledore’s story. Voldmort in his first scene-yeah,wtf was that? He smiles, walks around, actually shows his (let’s call them) emotions. Where is dull Voldmort from the book? Expressionless, like he doesn’t care? That was a huge mistake in his characterisation. No Krum/Hermione/Ron? One minute of that would work so much better than few things they added; Ron’s gesture after the attack in the cafe and R/H playing the piano. Kreacher’s tale :( !!! nothing about the story of R.A.B. the H/H dance scene was completely unnecessary. It turned out that Harry wants something with Hermione (Ginny who?true love?what’s that?) and then Hermione turned him down because she loves Ron. It was cute for only one reason- in fact, it represented Dan,Emma and their friendship and saying goodbye to all of this. But Harry/Hermione-thumb down. Why is the beginning of the film almost the same as in the 6th? Flashes,the same music and sounds-completely the same thing. Where is your imagination? And only one more thing :D somebody already mentioned it. What’s up with the editing? Fade out.scene.fade out. It really seems like they did it in five minutes.
All in all, the biggest flaw is the soundtrack. This story is so emotional and the scenes were perfect( acting and visual) but the music totally ruined it. Why is it just good when it had the potential to be THE BEST!?

Posted by Matea on November 19, 2010, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Undesirble_no_thumb

it was the best compared to the previous six. they added just about everything and i satisfied with it. it was only at the end did i forget about lupin in grimmauld place but i guess lupin might come in the second part…but still it’s pretty awesome!

Posted by Kams on November 19, 2010, 06:47 PM report to moderator

I can’t believe how much they stuck to the book..it was awesome. If they had split every book into two movies (or at least had an extended dvd version) the others would have been so much better.

I’m happy that Dobby was in the movie, but the scene with Harry burying him would be weird if you didn’t read the books. You wouldn’t understand why Harry cares about Dobby so much.

Posted by entoptic on November 19, 2010, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Hp_thumb

Loved Petunia in the car, so much emotion! Wish we could have had some more Potterwatch

Posted by shayshay on November 19, 2010, 06:50 PM report to moderator
Ai

And I forgot to mention in last post : a ridiculous break in continuity between the films : THEY DIDN’T SHOW WHO GAVE HARRY THAT MIRROR !

Posted by India is land of the Phoenix on November 19, 2010, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

I thought it was wonderful and terrible all at the same time. the left some things out but they way they changed it was charming and funny. The horcux scene with the kissing harry and hermione frigthened me and i was very distubed. I loved the scence where Harry and hermione danced i though it was adorable adn showed their brother sister realtionship wonderfully. And my all time fav. charcter comeback was dobby with his cheeky comments and loyal friendship.

Posted by The Nerd on November 19, 2010, 07:00 PM report to moderator

I think it was great, liked it a lot. however, why so funny? Why did they have to make so many scens, that needed to be serious, all happy and making people laugh? It took away so much of the darkness and seriousness that is in the book. Plus they gave my possibly favourite line exchange “perhaps dumbledore knew i’d leave you guys – no, he knew you’d want to come back” to Ron only, which totally ruined it! And, the time Harry has spent knowing about Hallows in the film is sooo short that the hallows aren’t trally going to matter at all :/ It feells like they got the plot, but a lot of the character building/showing elements have been left out sadly. Dobby was WONDERFUL though, absoluteley ADORABLE! <3

Posted by anything4you on November 19, 2010, 07:06 PM report to moderator
47_thumb
1996 Points

i thought it was amazingly brilliant and very true to the books. I guess the critics havent read the books because it is crazy they gave it 2 1/2 stars.

Posted by ronlvr44 on November 19, 2010, 07:06 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_pigwidgeon__thumb

they did leave out so much..but the details they put into it were so good. i loved how they visualized The Tale of the Three Brothers, really put the story into perspective.

I did think that the movie took too long towards the end and considering that they only destroyed ONE horcrux in this movie…the next one is going to be longer.

i loved this movie though generally, and i would go see it again!and i wouldn’t miss the second one for the world(:

Posted by pigwey on November 19, 2010, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Hikerpugs1_thumb

Those kids have REALLY learned to act. But the dancing in the tent after Ron left? Please. Harry’s Voldy visions were confusing, I missed the blasted house being a place the wiz. world used to memorialize the Potters, why didn’t Ron freak out during Hermione’s torture, and no Tonks family, no Lily letter/ torn picture… All in all, I had a blast… but…

Posted by rosepug on November 19, 2010, 07:16 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

damn, I forgot to mention the burial as DISLIKE. in the sand!? no “here lies Dobby, a free elf” ? he deserved it! oops! remembered one more thing haha, I miss Lupin! his fight with Harry, unborn Teddy and all that.
okay,enough with the negative.

I cried 2 times – Hedwig’s and Dobby’s death. when they died,I had these flashback from the books and movies,some funny quotes and happenings. aww. rest in piece my dear friends!

PART 2 – LIKES
Each and every scene was AMAZING! Well done! My favs: 7 Potters,so funny and interesting! The chase-amazing effects! Silver doe and the Locket(my favourite chapter in the book) – it was bloody brilliant! Harry’s stuggle in the lake and Ron’s fight with the locket. WOW! Ministry was really intense,mixture of fun stuff and mortal danger. Then my next fav chapter- Godric’s hollow. OMG- Bathilda! That creepy old bat! And Nagini. They got both just right and it was amazing! The graveyard was sad, but something was missing. It turned out they were just a STOP point. Malfoys – that chapter is really intense but it really wasn’t in the movie. It was too clear that they will be saved. No dead Wormtail! Too bad because his death has a meaning! One of my favorite parts in the movie- The Tale of Three Brothers. WOW! It is the most amazing new thing in Potter series! The way it was told and visualized- PREFECT! I’m in love with it! :D
Acting – I’m thrilled! Trio gave their best, Emma is so bloody perfect in the last 2 movies. But I still think Rupert is the best one. He has the most perfect natural timing. I’m really pleased with Xeno and Mundungus. Brillaint! We see a completely new Lucius in this one and may I say, Jason Isaacs, you are wonderful! A bit irritated with Fleur’s English that sounds English and not French. I absolutely love Dobby and Kreacher! Their parts are hilarious!
What I really loved- the book was there. All chapters(except Kreacher’s tale) were there, for the first time, many quotes from the book and no bigger changes. At last! And the last thing, what I find very interesting, is that I had a feeling I’m watching a TV series. One chapter/one episode. It didn’t feel like a film. And that’s because, for the first time,it follows the book, the story. We don’t have the beginning, climax and end. We have all this interesting pieces of the story one by one. And it keeps to continue. Weird film,eh? But I really loved it and expect even better part 2!
Btw. I’ve seen it 2 times :)

Posted by Matea on November 19, 2010, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Hp_thumb

Also loved loved loved the polyjuiced trio!

Posted by shayshay on November 19, 2010, 07:24 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

I loved it. the opening was AMAZING. whish though they showed dudley saying that he wasnt a waste of space but they wouldt have time for that. i really liked the movie they didnt skip anything. the only probelm i dint like is the movie went by fast. like some sences just went by fast but i under stand that they have to make the movie short cuz they cant fit all that in and idnt feel right. and it didnt have the harry potter feeling.

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on November 19, 2010, 07:25 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

...Lockhart's disgusting cheeriness, his hints that he had always thought Hagrid was no good, his confidence that the whole business was now at an end, irritated Harry so much that he yearned to throw [i]Gadding with Ghouls[/i] right in Lockhart's stupid