Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

The movie was AWESOME! I do understand that they can’t be exact from the book (some of the things left out hopefully will be explained in the next part). Rupert Grint was great…the different expressions he uses makes the parts seem so more real. Emma’s torture scene was not what I expected but I did like that Bellatrix carved “Mudblood” on her arm…now we know why the screams were so realistic! Daniel Radcliff did an excellent job…his emotions were with Harry all the way! Over all , the trio did a great job and the director pulled out everything to give us what we wanted. A film that was almost 100% true to the book and the graphics in this film were wonderful! Just finished seeing it and am going back later after homework to see it again.

Posted by beewell on November 19, 2010, 04:41 PM report to moderator
Crew_bottom_thumb

well the sensual scene was well very sensual XD its very cool now i’m have that kind of feeling of empty in ma heart you know we all live and grow up with harry and now its like if we going at is dead its sad

Posted by Lost Northern on November 19, 2010, 04:49 PM report to moderator
Iconator_dcccf68f78a8a9a10577e7ba795da1d1_thumb

I have not seen it yet, but I’m very excited to!! I usually wait a week or two after the opening so it’s not quite as crazy.

Posted by Cursa Black on November 19, 2010, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Harry_-_the_forest_again_thumb

Reading all of the " complaints " in some comments sounds more like people wanting " their " favorite part in. No one – I repeat – no -one could have included everything and satisfied everyone. It is simply not possible.

As always, people tend to forget this is an adaptation, one persons interpretation, and it will never match or satisfy everyones expectations.

I think many people forget that Auntie Muriel explained a lot at the wedding, along with Doge,about Dumblrdore and perhaps the loud popcorn munching made that slip out of memory…. ;-)

I thought Rupert was at his best in this performance, the fight in the tent was basically word for word from the book !!

Yes, some scenes were quite intense but they needed to be. This is no longer Harry, Hermione and Ron from Sorcerer’s Stone boys and girls. David Yates is playing the full nine innings here and the story demanded it.

The pacing was spot on, the acting the best I’ve seen and if I want ALL the details, I’ll read the book for the 7th time if I want. David Yates said he wasn’t going to waste time explaining what everything meant, if you never read the book and were confused on some things, i.e. the mirror or Voldemorts name Taboo , well, tough for you….sorry, but there is a ton of ground to cover.

I thought it was excellent.

Posted by Hinkypunkmum on November 19, 2010, 04:51 PM report to moderator

Amazing!!!!! They stayed so true to the book and in crhonologicall order. Obviously I missed Lily’s letter, Remus trying to join them, Harry saving sll those muggle borns and most of all kreachers tale… But when I sat back and thought about it, Kreacher at least, will be made up for. As long as they have him leading the house elfs in battle, I’ll be fine. Loved the midnight permier it was my first and it was increadable. There was a gruop of people dressed as Voldemort and his Horcruxes. Fantastic!!!!!!! I also thought it was brilliant thatt they didn’t hold anything back. they didn’t seem to have any limits.. exeptf for maybe Sirius’s pin-up muggle girl posters…. then again it wouldn’t have fit very well with the movie sirius. As always Rupert was hilarious, luna was …. LUNA, Loved it when Ginny asked harry to sip up her dress… such a ginny move. I cried and laughed soooo much.

Posted by Claire Lafleur on November 19, 2010, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_deathly_hallows_part_2_london_premier_263_thumb

deahtly hallows: part one (LLLLLLLL)
the only movie that has made me …
cry, scream, cover my eyes, jump off my seat, sigh, gasp, fall in love and smile the entire time
all in the span of two hours !
i loved it , it was beautiful and the characters get better and better !
i only wish that everyone else like the weasleys, remus, tonks, bill, fleur all had larger parts than they do in the movies !

Posted by meggers-evans-potter on November 19, 2010, 04:53 PM report to moderator
38093_1525112213973_1419668696_2107419_4307673_n_thumb

Well done to the book and SO HAPPY that is was WONDERFUL! DIdn not disappoint! Awsome acting (especially Emma Watson)! Great!

Posted by Sohumdore on November 19, 2010, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Meatstrong_thumb

First impressions: I really liked the movie. The trio were amazing. Especially Rupert. I loved the additions of Rys Ifans. He is great as Xeno.

Negative first, Did they totally forget that they had an invisibility cloak? I wish they included Lily’s letter. The backstory on Dumbledore was left out. I wonder if that is going to be added in the next movie. The broken mirror, I know what it is, but people who never read the books are going to wonder what is up with the mirror.

Positives: Loved the way they told the Tale of the 3 brothers, the scene in MoM was great, loved the added dancing scene, really cute. The twins, are fantastic as per usual. Rupert was crazy good in this movie, as was Emma and Dan.

I went to a Advanced Screening and durring the last five minutes, right durring Dobby’s dying speech the projector broke. It took all the mojo out of the scene and out of the theatre. All in all, 4 stars!!!!

Posted by theatregirl25 *ROAR* on November 19, 2010, 05:06 PM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

i saw the midnight and i am still only able to say that it was good and i loved the movie is still sinking in for me. I my theater in Wayne, nj this boys ran down the two isles and started firing curses at each other it was so funny i loved it.

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on November 19, 2010, 05:08 PM report to moderator

I really enjoyed it! It was fantastically done and really quite hilarious. I wasn’t expecting there to be so many fun one-liners. As always I had a few problems with omissions: Dudley’s big scene in Dursley’s Departing, Lily’s letter, Lupin’s little angsty moment in Grimmauld Place, and then finally Wormtail’s death. These were all great and very deep parts of the movie that for some reason they felt the need to cut. But that’s a pretty short list, which I’m happy about.

The friendship bond was shown more than ever in this film. And Ron and Hermione’s relationship is adorable! I love it all and I am so glad I went to the premiere!

Posted by blackpadfoot on November 19, 2010, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Okay, yes, they left things out, and of course I am going to be really picky and say that it was MRS WEASLEY who said “How are you feeling, Georgie?” not Fred, because would Fred EVER call George “Georgie?” And of course there were a million other things but all in all I think it is the most true to the books, like the book it is very dark but with just enough comedy to keep you going.
The theatre I was in was great, everyone was excited but COMPLETELY SILENT, except for two parts: when it started, and when Dobby gave his “Dobby has no master!” speech. I truly, honestly was sobbing my heart out, and it was such a great tribute and Dobby is my hero…Hedwig was great too…etc, etc. The biggest things are, it is the most true to the books and Dobby’s scene is the best in the series so far.

Posted by i_am_hermione on November 19, 2010, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Oh, and I forgot to say: Invisibility Cloak, WHERE DID YOU GO????

Posted by i_am_hermione on November 19, 2010, 05:10 PM report to moderator

PAY NO ATTENTION TO POOR REVIEWS: you can certainly tell who has read the book and who hasn’t. Remember how much they loved GOF? Praise to the director/producer for staying close to cannon. Best HP movie yet.

Posted by lilbitfeisty on November 19, 2010, 05:23 PM report to moderator

It was amazing! So funny at times, but I was crying my eyes out when Dobby died….and Hedwig….:‘( I don’t know how I’m going to cope with the next one!

Posted by Rosie W on November 19, 2010, 05:24 PM report to moderator

Best one so far! Going back to watch it again tomorrow. So glad the did it in 2 parts. Loved the telling of the Three Brothers. I find that I enjoy the movie much if I don’t read the book just before watching the movie. If I read the book first then I spend the whole time thinking about what was missing from the movie. An extra 30 seconds of the Dursleys explaining why they were leaving would’ve been nice and I wanted to see Luna’s room as it was described in the book.

Posted by Ratorr on November 19, 2010, 05:38 PM report to moderator

"Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world."