Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Even though they did leave out a few parts this one is by far the BEST!! I’m SO glad they let Joe be a producer because I feel like they did an awesome job following the book as much as possible! WHAT ABOUT THE HORCRUX SCENE? That was epic!

Posted by hpfan89 on November 19, 2010, 04:18 PM report to moderator

Enjoyed the movie … held my attention and the 2+ hrs went by really quickly! Acting was great! Always disappointed in what was left out of the movies but if you want details, go to the books! I did really feel like it was only half a movie and would have been glad to sit another 2 1/2 hours to watch Part II … it was frustrating to leave the theater without having the ending … but I am so glad they did not try to condense the whole book into one 2-hour movie!

Posted by carrgirl53 on November 19, 2010, 04:18 PM report to moderator

Oh yeah, and I pretty sure that I cried more for Dobby and Hedwig than I did when Dumbledore and Sirius died combined!

Posted by hpfan89 on November 19, 2010, 04:19 PM report to moderator
Collage_thumb

I loved it, but at the same time, I am a little nervous. In the books Harry is much more informed at this point about what he is looking for. I am not sure how they are going to tie that in. Is he just going to see Helga Hufflepuff’s cup and say" That would make an excellent Horcrux…"
But I am trying to look at the movie on it’s own instead of based on the books…and it was by far for me the best movie so far! I loved the scene with Dobby’s death. I loved the dance with Harry and Hermione, I loved Ron!!!!!

Posted by Storeyann (ROAR) on November 19, 2010, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Hbp_promo_poster_011_thumb

The filming of it was GREAT, all the shots looked so clear and amazing. Of course they left out many bits of the book. but we have to remember the movies are their own entity in a way. IT was Hilarious George walking in on Harry and Ginny… things that bothed me..not everyone should be able to see the thestrials… Hedwig should not have been killed the way she was in the book… and how do we just aparate right into the hands of snatchers?
Over all Loved The movie!!

Posted by H.P.2009 on November 19, 2010, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Aria-1x06-pretty-little-liars-girls-13682878-500-375_1__thumb

Begining made my cry … like first 30 seconds intp the film where Hermione has her parent’s forget her. Hermione and Harry kiss was just… proper full on. :P

Posted by LoonyJennyLovegood on November 19, 2010, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

I was a little disappointed, not because of what they left out, but because of how much there was in, really.

The camping bit made the pacing go quite slowly. They could have livened it up with shots of the doings at Hogwarts, which would have been a good addition on what was shown in the book. The scene where Death Eaters search the trains was good (go Neville!) and I would have loved to see more.

They shouldn’t have shown the mirror without any sort of explanation, either. And Harry’s visions were difficult to see. Grimmauld Place felt like an odd pitstop.

But the action sequences were brilliant! The funny parts were great, too. Fred and George were on top form. It was wonderful to see so much magic, some of it really interesting looking. The start with Hermione wiping her parents’ memories was so touchingly done. I adored the animated Tale Of The Three Brothers, too. That looked utterly incredible.

The dark bits like Bathilda Bagshot and Hermione being tortured were done very well. The finding of the sword of Gryffindor and the locket Horcrux’s last fight were tense and exciting. Tom Felton and Alan Rickman were great in the short scenes they had. As always Luna Lovegood stole every single scene she was in, too.

So yeah, when it was good it was amazingly, brillianty fantastic. There could just have been something to liven up parts where it dragged a little in the middle. Then I might have come out of the cinema with more of a bounce in my step, rather than wishing it could have been just a little bit better.

Posted by nellythemarrow on November 19, 2010, 04:30 PM report to moderator

I LOVED it! By far the best movie adaption. The only problems I had with it was some of the relationships. My theater apparently were a bunch of non-readers and when Hermione turned away after she and Harry danced, they all screamed about how he was rejected. It did seem a little like Harry was trying to start something with Hermione, and he didn’t say anything to Ron about them being like siblings after the locket.

Ginny almost seems like an afterthought, like they just wanted to stick her in there to justify their eventual marriage. When one of my friends googled spoilers, he was shocked to find out they got married. He thought she would be another little relationship like Cho.

But those are my two only complaints :D

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on November 19, 2010, 04:32 PM report to moderator

I thought it was very good, I was positively surprised! Of cause there was things I would have loved to see in the movie which they left out, but that’s how it is, I guess.
I really loved how they had illustrated the tale of the three brothers! It was amazingly done.
But I did miss Luna’s room a lot, I really had been looking forward to see the drawings.

Posted by MaiBrunholm on November 19, 2010, 04:32 PM report to moderator
Parece_crepusculo_thumb

The movie was fantastic, I thought it would be as bad as last one, but this was so cool & they didn’t try to make it funny. I really can’t believe I could see it on the realese I thought it would be more than full but as I skip school that day there were only 10 or 12 people. I can’t wait for the 2nd Part’s realese. I’m so EXCITED!!!!! :D

Posted by MaggiedM on November 19, 2010, 04:32 PM report to moderator

Loved it! it was epic, plenty of action, never boring or cheesy. even managed to make me jump during godric’s hollow fight. still have a lot to explain in part 2. can’t wait!

Posted by bigwrocker on November 19, 2010, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Avatars_books_house_may06_thumb

this movie was by far my favorite so far. Dobby’s death sence mad be break down. The Godric’s Hallow graveyard sence was fanatically done and so moving. Not very fond of DeSplatt’s music in the movie wasn’t classic HP so not my favorite sound track. Sad that they left out the Lupin and harry confrunation(sp?) sence since it left out the intro of Tonk’s being preggers. But all around a great and fanatic movie.

Posted by Issa on November 19, 2010, 04:37 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

I loved the torturing scene but I was waiting for Ron to say: Leave her! Take me! so that was kind of disappointing
I loved when Ron destroyed the locket the fake Harry and Hermione got a better kissing scene than Harry and Ginny
All in all it was pretty good

Posted by Joelle Granger~ЯΛӨЯ~ on November 19, 2010, 04:39 PM report to moderator

I loved it! There were only a couple of points that I feel could of been changed. 1. Harry and Hermione kissing without clothes…come on, really? 2. Wished line about Hermione crying for weeks after Ron left was put in. Only movie that I wasn’t really disappionted with, compared to the wonderful books.

Posted by hermionejean15 on November 19, 2010, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Bella_deana_thumb

First I will say what dissapointed me. No Kreacher’s tale. I thought Snape had a bit too much emotion in Malfoy Mannor. Anyone could see he was torn. And too much naked Harry.

I LOVED everything else. I was shaking and openly weeping at Dobby’s death. And OMG for Emma on the tourture scene. My hair was standing up. That might have scarred me a bit. I was planning on taking my daughter on Sunday, but she’s now not allowed to see it. She’s only 5 and that Bathilda scene will have her screaming in the theater. The Three Brother’s tale was beautifully done. I wish they would have established Harry’s cloak as a Hallow though. And poor Alfie. His entire role was cut from the film. Why the Black man? I know because it wasn’t important. That was probably the easiest cut. The absolute best part was Rupert. He looked insane before he left. He looks like a grown man. It’s so weird. Can’t wait for part 2.

Posted by johnNoefan83 on November 19, 2010, 04:41 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry raised his wand. Now was the moment to do it. Now was the moment to avenge his mother and father. He was going to kill Black. He had to kill Black. This was his chance... [br]The seconds lengthened. And still Harry stood frozen there, wand poised, B