Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Hufflepuff_thumb

Just finished writing my review for Sabretooth Movies… Absolutely love it!!!

Posted by HufflepuffSam on November 19, 2010, 03:17 PM report to moderator

I appreciate how carefully they went over the important information. It was a nice buildup to the adrenaline pumping finale of the finale. I think we can nitpick all day about how certain scenes weren’t done right but everyone interprets a piece in their own way. I can’t fault David Yates for doing it the way he wanted to. I think he treated the first bulk of the book with respect and did it justice.

Posted by LummoxtheGenius on November 19, 2010, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter_thumb

It is the best potter film ever. I already saw it on wednesday in German time. My favorite scene was definitely the torture scene at malfoy manor. I was shaking while hermione lay crying steaming and shaking under bellatrix.
Well I hoped that there will be a bit more of torture but it was genius anyway. Leaky once posted that a lot of scenes were cut because they were to horrible; actually I hope that they will be on the special additional DVD.
The tale of the tree brothers was very cool, too because that kind of cartoon never was in a potter film. But if totally fits into the film.
I also liked the scenes which weren’t in the book, like the scene on the piano or maybe the haircut …….
At last I want to say, that the actors were genius !!!! That film was sooo epic. I want to see it again!

Posted by Ness95 on November 19, 2010, 03:33 PM report to moderator
Golden_snitch_thumb

I found the Hermione and Harry kiss really awkward…I don’t think that that scene should have been so long. And naked?!! A little far…
but i loved it other than that!!!!
I also kinda wished that the Malfoy Manor fight went on longer than it did. :)

Posted by Emmasquared on November 19, 2010, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

I honestly think the only thing I didn’t like was that they showed the entire final scene in a trailer I saw in September… and that was a disastrous move, it made the ending so anticlimactic for me. I made a point of not watching any trailers after the one I saw in September, sadly for me that one had the entire final scene in it which ruined it for me when seeing it on the big screen. The other part was the beginning felt rushed, people were dying like flies and we had no emotion invested in them because they just happened in a flash(Moody,Hedwig, ect…)

Posted by Liderc on November 19, 2010, 03:35 PM report to moderator

Very impressed, on the whole. One scene I wish was included was the whole Dursley farewell with Dudley. Much of everything else that was left out or changed, it would have been stupid to leave it in: like Kreacher’s story… they never really made a big deal about Kreacher in the movies as they did in the books, so to make a big to-do about it would just seem strange. Same thing with Wormtail’s death. In the books, Dumbledore did mention how Wormtail is basically indebted to Harry, but that wasn’t ever a factor in the movies, so having his silver hand turn on him to kill him I think would also have had non-book readers going “huh?”

The only other issue I have, and it’s a very minor one, is the whole Taboo thing. You’ve got Lupin and Bill saying “Voldemort” with nothing resulting from it (though this might have been before the Ministry was infiltrated, can’t remember), but then you have Harry saying “You-Know-Who” on his own accord, not when prompted by Ron. But then they showed how the Taboo worked with Xeno saying his name and the Death Eaters immediately showing up. A bit incongruous, but overall it doesn’t seem like a big deal.

Posted by shanz88 on November 19, 2010, 03:42 PM report to moderator

When do free elves wear rags. It would have been nice to see Dobby in socks or on off the hats that Hermione made. Plus what happen to shell cottage the hole part before V gets the wand is gone. How is Harry suppose to chose hocrux over hollows if they chose for him.
Other then that I thought the movie was great I loved the hocrux scene and the tell of the three brothers. the acting was also and you can tell how they have grown over the years.

Posted by lpierich on November 19, 2010, 03:42 PM report to moderator

It was great a few things weren’t in it from the books like Remus and Harry in Grimmauld Place but the Dobby bit was both funny and heartbreaking. Going to go and see it again today.

Posted by cozmic1978 on November 19, 2010, 03:44 PM report to moderator

I was really disappointed, they left out so many important things and everything they ‘explained’ they didn’t do very well at all. I felt like they just touched on everything and it had no effect. I really thought they could have just finished the rest of it in one film because this one was so choppy. They had over 2 hours to do half of the book & they could have done SOOO MUCH.
I felt like they were more worried about when the split of the two movies would be as opposed to making it enjoyable to watch.

On the other hand. Dan Radcliffe, Emma and Rupert did a fantastic job. The Dobby’s death was incredible (not the death its self, the scene of course). The destroying of the locket was fantastic as well as the silver doe.

Posted by Lizzary on November 19, 2010, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Photo_1049_thumb

I’m glad I went into not having read the book recently, because as a result I wasn’t thinking so much about what they left out but just focusing on the sheer brilliance of what they did. I thought the trio were so great in this movie; we finally get the chance to focus on them as characters instead of cutting so much of that stuff to fit plot like other movies. Draco was fantastic too – I love how his character changes throughout the stories, and I think Tom is doing a great job with him. I was so thrilled with what they did for the Tale of Three Brothers. It was refreshingly new and yet it fit within context.

There were some things I missed. I was sad they didn’t take time with Kreacher’s transformation after Harry shows him kindness. And much of Dumbledore’s past only crops up when you need to know something for a plot point (I hope they show more of his story in film 2). But on the whole, I was so impressed. I think it leaves all other Potter films in the dust!

Posted by eruanna317 on November 19, 2010, 03:53 PM report to moderator

Oh yes, I forgot, my biggest complaint was how they didn’t even focus on Harry’s sadness when Hedwig died, it was like “oh hey! my best friend away from school just got killed…oh well” and they were all “oh madeye is dead” lets move on…and HE LEFT MAD EYE MOODY’S EYEBALL ON UNBRIDGES DOOR!!! THEY EVEN DID A CLOSE UP OF IT AND EVERYTHING!!! -why invest the money into the shot of the eye if you have no purpose of explaining or doing anything with it…?

Posted by Lizzary on November 19, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator

Posted by Lizzary on November 19, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

This movie really was an EPIC WIN! For me, they stayed very true to the book with a few little new things added here and there (but I expect that, and they were a nice touch). There were brilliant scenes, perfect lines, and the acting on everybody’s part has improved SO MUCH! The Ministry of Magic scene was my favorite.. great acting there! Also the Bathilda Bagshot scene at Godric’s Hollow was super creepy! I was on the edge of my seat! The relationships of the trio were wonderful to see and Dobby returning was so sweet… his death made me cry like a baby. :( I give Yates, Barron, Heyman, and JK Rowling herself 2 big thumbs up on this one! 5/5 stars for sure! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on November 19, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator

I found it was really good! But I do wish they had included the part with Lily’s letter…but when Bellatrix wrote Mudblood on Hermione’s are I thought that was good, and the horcrux part was very well done! They couldn’t have left it at a better spot! :) Can’t wait till part 2!!!! :D

Posted by DancewithaGinger on November 19, 2010, 04:08 PM report to moderator
Dm_thumb

I was really happy with the way this turned out. A little disappointing there wasn’t more of a good-bye with the Dursley’s, but I’ll let that slide. I’m hoping a few of the other things will come to light in the second half (maybe it’s in a different order?) Overall, very well done and I was very happy with. Possibly my most favorite.

Posted by JenniferMalfoy on November 19, 2010, 04:18 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Snape's upper lip was curling. Harry wondered why Lockhart was still smiling; if Snape had been looking at [i]him[/i] like that he'd have been running as fast as he could in the opposite direction.