Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Tumblr_lphabmv2ob1qcqbbso1_500_thumb

Really really really good! It was truly epic.. There were some things that they left out that I kinda wished they hadn’t left out (like Kreacher’s Tale and Krum at the wedding per example), I think it was alright because honestly they can’t fit it all into 2 and a half hours and what they DID manage to fit into the film was AMAZING.
Also I bow very VERY low to Dan, Rupert and especially Emma – they really outdid themselves in this one, their acting is siriusly stunning. I mean OH MY ROWLING Malfoy Manor with Bellatrix and Hermione I was shaking and crying so badly it was soooo scary!
Anyways I could go on forever, but the point is I REALLY loved the film and I’m seeing it for the third time tonight and I can’t wait! It is my favourite of the lot (until the last one comes out I would imagine). All I can say is; Dan, Emma, Rupert, David H and David Y and the rest of the amazing people who helped creating this magic – touché.

Posted by Bech7Raven [WBM] on November 19, 2010, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I presume that in Part 2 we are going to see Voldemort turning up at Malfoy Manor and throwing a Dark Lord-sized wobbler. Wormtail will die as part of that. (BTW the scene at Malfoy Manor near the start of the current film was brilliant. So terrifying, and Snape’s face so full of hidden thoughts.)

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on November 19, 2010, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Harry_-_the_forest_again_thumb

Brilliant !!! I loved it !! And my absolute favorite scene was Harry and Hermione dancing. That was moving and poignant and really showed how close they were in friendship. It was completely within Harry’s nature to try and cheer Hermione like that. I thought it a brillant addition.

The animation of the Tale of the Three Brothers – wow ! Spot on perfect !

Hermione being tortured…..o.m.g. – I cried with her. She was amazing in that scene – simply amazing !! Well done Emma !!

The Ministry , the wedding, Bathilda, Malfoy Manor Charity Burbage was chilling to the core….

I cannot say enough positive things about this film.. I will be going 2- 3 more times I am sure of that !!!

Oh ! The Lovegoods !! Awesome.

Posted by Hinkypunkmum on November 19, 2010, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

New favorite movie!!! I LOVED it! It was very intense and emotional. Dan, Rupert and Emma gave fantastic performances. The Malfoy Manor torture scene was brilliant. Emma outdid herself in her performance. I loved that they took words directly from Deathly Hallows and put them in the script. It flowed well. Harry and Hermione’s dance was so cute :D

Can’t wait to see it again!

Posted by da_member0808 on November 19, 2010, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

I felt like they left out a lot to cut down on what they have to do in the next movie – leaving out Lily’s letter and everything cuts down on what they have to film for the Prince’s Tale, leaving out most of Dumbledore’s shady past will shorten the scenes with Aberforth and in King’s Cross. They left out so much, I didn’t even realize we missed out on Ariana until reaing th comments just now! Oh well, they’ll probably mention her in Part 2.

Overall, I give this one three stars only for the plot, becuase a lot of things didn’t make sense – like the shard of mirror, Hermione being mean to Kreacher, and doing the ending out of order. Voldemort isn’t supposed to fin the Elder Wand until after Harry talks to Griphook and Ollivander, so I think they may have just cut those parts from the movie, or they are changing it so Harry never has a choice about pursuing Voldemort.

However, I give this movie five stars for the acting. Dan, Emma, Rupert, and even Draco were so awesome I could hardly stand it.

Btw – I will have nightmares forever becuase of Bathilda Bagshot. I literally could not look directly at the screen while she was on it. Oh, the horror!

Posted by Bless_the_children on November 19, 2010, 02:13 PM report to moderator
1031101712_profileuse_thumb

This is a great adaptation of the book so far! It was paced very well. Emma Watson is a true Brit thespian talent! She has always acted the best out of the trio, and she REALLY, REALLY shines in this. I know there were complaints before about how Hedwig dies but I thought it was effective. The Seven Potters chase scene was intense! George’s ear was gnarly! The Ministry of Magic scene was executed nicely. It got the anxiousness of “OH CRAP! How are they going to do this?!” just right. Ron’s SPLINCHING looked just how I imagined it when I read the book. The camping woods scenes were put together in a good flow without it lingering or feeling like that’s ALL we saw in this movie. The SILVER DOE leading Harry to the sword was BEAUTIFUL! Voldermort’s illusion to RON was WICKEDLY BRILLIANT! You guys weren’t lying about that Harry/Hermione kiss! Oh and Harry and Hermione dancing was adorable! Even though I’ve always been a Ron/Hermione shipper, this was a nice way of messing with the idea of H/H. It SO could have easily happened! Emma Watson’s torture scene was chilling. Like I said before Emma Watson has always been the best of the three and she just nails all of Hermione’s emotional, physical angst and pain so naturally. If Emma Watson continues her acting career after she’s done at Brown, mark my words, she WILL win an Academy Award within the next 5-10 years. Shoot, Emma can VERY realistically be a dark horse in this year’s Academy Award nominations for Best Actress! Dobby’s Death was heartbreaking even though I knew it was coming. Though I could swear his voice isn’t quite the same as the other movies. Did the same actor do it? OVERALL, this is an A+ adaption of the book. It’s bittersweet to want July to come sooner. But for now, Part 1 will definitely get multiple viewings from me! CHEERS!

Posted by BKool on November 19, 2010, 02:13 PM report to moderator
1031101712_profileuse_thumb

P.S. I LOVE THE ANIMATED THREE BROTHERS TALE!

Posted by BKool on November 19, 2010, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Mock-you-with-my-spirit-fingers_thumb

I thought it was great! they left out very little, and didn’t overly butcher anything. Although I think they could have done a much better job with Kreachers scene.

Ron`s monologue about the deluminator was funny. I love Rupert but he just can’t act!

Posted by UnnamedHufflepuff on November 19, 2010, 02:18 PM report to moderator

In general, I would say I loved the movie but for me, it wasn’t my favorite among all the Potter movies.

Things I loved:

-I loved how they remained faithful to the book (most of the times and the changes they made were great and helped progressed the story). I also think they made good choices on what to add and what to cut out.
-Great setting and great film locations. You can see how big of a production it is and they did not spare any expenses.
- I loved how they decided to change how Hedwig died. Made it more meaningful and memorable than the book.
- Everything was visually pleasing and if you look at every scene, you can see how much thought and detail was put in.
- The trio have improved a lot in terms of acting (though there are still lots of room for improvement. More later).

Okay now things I did not love:
- The sountrack. am i the only one who thought it was kinda cheesy? The music was also anticlamactic especially during the action scenes (when they were chased by deatheaters, when they were in the ministry, and when they were chased by snatchers).
- While I did say the trio improved in acting, there were definitely parts I felt that they were lacking. all through out they were just in a somber mood- I know that that was what they were going for but it dragged on too much. I didn’t see enough anger or frustration from them, just somber. Noted especially when Hermione was being tortured (though I though Emma did brilliant in the scene). It didn’t help that during emotional or climactic scenese I felt the soundrack sucked.
- I hate that they kept using FADE OUT to break every scene. It didn’t help make the story go smoothly, instead it made it feel like a narration. " Chapter 1: SCENE. Chapter 2: SCENE." This was one of my bggest complaint. Felt like the editing was all over the place and did not make the story tightly woven.

I’m hoping to see it again and maybe my opinion will change a bit. Still bravo to all of them! This was movie was really made for “Potter fanatics” and not just casual movie-goers. This I appreciated so much because it made me remember JK Rowling’s boo dedication- that the last book he dedicated also to all readers who stuck with Harry throughout the years. I fel the movie had the same sentiment and for that I am TRULY appreciative. Can’t wait for the 2nd part!!

Posted by jerry_fanatic16 on November 19, 2010, 02:20 PM report to moderator

omg how could i forget to say how much i loved the tale of the three brothers and that they kept in Rons “midnight” bit! I did think i spotted the mirror on the floor in Harrys room so i guess that could just explain it away. and im guessing they will put the invisability cloak and stuff in the next film so theres time to explain it. I also forgot about the bit where Hermiones stood just behind her enchantments and the snatchers right next to it! I liked that. ahhh i really need to see it again!

Posted by Traceymmm on November 19, 2010, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-deathly-hallows-trailer_thumb

TWO Things that made me reall uncomfortable 1) The Tortureing of Hermione. Overdone in the movie and it looked like Bellatrix was a Parent Being the crap out of her child. she is 17 in this movie hermione. Her screams made me uncomfortable…yikes….2)HARRY AND HERMIONE NAKED IN THE LOCKET WTF RON WHY ARE YOU IMAGINING THEM NAKED? BAH!!!! 15-20 seconds of silence in each transition. Not needed but very true to the book. Those are my only qualms very good

Posted by PotterParish on November 19, 2010, 02:32 PM report to moderator

I have just come home from watching it and I am still undecided. I think the opening was very beautiful, but as it carried on there were bits that just didn’t fit. I’m really disappointed with the bit about Grindlewald. He would not have told Voldemort where the Elder Wand was. And Wormtail was meant to die.

However, having said that, everything else I enjoyed. Without sounding sadistic the ‘mudblood’ on Hermione’s arm was clever and different. And I enjoyed the scene with the locket, it really tipped Ron over the edge.

It’s just said that I have to wait until I’m 20 until I see the second part!

Posted by gemdotcom on November 19, 2010, 02:33 PM report to moderator
Homesick_thumb

GOD IT WAS AMAZING!!i loved it i cried and i laughed i couldnt see anything wrong dobby was perfect, bonnies acting was a little better but thankfully she didnt have much lines (since HBP ive found her sounding more like she was just reading her lines out) i was almost in tears from hedwig which i didnt expect and i sobbed with dobby (which i did expect) the animation for the deathly hallows was incredible and theres so much more!!! gonna see it again tomorow xD

Posted by sonofravenclaw~WBM~ on November 19, 2010, 02:40 PM report to moderator
1132873536_f7c6bdf4e5_thumb

I really enjoyed the movie,but still I think that the book is much better.
I loved who they told the tale of the three brothers and Ron’s evil side was awesome!In the begining of the movie Ron and Hermione where getting really close,but then when Ron starts going to much time without earing any news from his family,he turns so evil.And when we just walked away,AWESOME.
But,I didn’t really like the part when Harry and Hermione dance,because their happiness when they are in the middle of the dance looks so fake.
But that was the only part I didn’t like cause I loved the rest of them!

Posted by afdh on November 19, 2010, 03:06 PM report to moderator

They’ll never be able to capture all the tiny nuances in the book but I did love the adaptation of it. It was brilliant and I really felt like I was on the same intense, crazy journey they were. I love the fact that the trio, especially Rupert and Emma, have really brought the characters to life!

Posted by alexay on November 19, 2010, 03:07 PM report to moderator

"Mum's always wishing we had a house-elf to do the ironing," said George. "But all we've got is a lousy old ghoul in the attic and gnomes all over the garden."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014