Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Tumblr_lp9f45jqbm1r0sjoeo1_500_large_thumb

Loved it easily the best!
BEST : ministry of magic, the 3 brothers story, and dobby’s death(sooo sad :( )
WORST : that stupid scene where harry and hermionie dance

Posted by aval on November 22, 2010, 06:42 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

I thought the movie was brilliant, the special effects were awesome and the sets were amazing, especially out inn the countryside. Seeing it twice made me notice many lines I didn’t quite hear in the excitement of the first viewing, like Ron saying “wicked sneakers” to dobby and hermione asking ron if he’d like to read the 3 brothers story instead! There were some really funny scenes among the action. The scenes in the ministry, malfoy manor and in the tent were great. I think Emma Watson did a really fantastic job with Hermione in this one, the torture scene and wiping parents memory was hard to watch, Hermione is the hero of this film! The baddies were great as well, alan rickman as snape is the greatest, the malfoys and bellatrix were so well played. Bathilda Bagshot was perfect, that scene was so exciting! I have however felt quite melancholy and a little depressed after seeing Hallows, much like reading it I guess, 6 months to wait! But the two films allow for much more detail, it’s good. I reckon they could have ended with the trio not so beaten, that image of dobby standing on the beach will stay with me forever. I can’t wait till Part 2, especially the gringotts scene with Hermione as Bellatrix!

Posted by Fawkes1706 on November 22, 2010, 06:54 PM report to moderator

Incredible!! Except they didn’t do the scene where… or the scene in which…or the part about…!! Get the picture? Based on the book. Based on the book. Not the book. Based on the book.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on November 22, 2010, 09:11 PM report to moderator
Lol__241_thumb

I super love it!! the best harry potter yet.. there’s no boring scene.. i was like not blinking while watching the whole movie.. hahaha! congratulations to whole HP cast and crew.. they really did a great job.. my favorite scenes were the dance and the “evil kiss”.. hermione was so hot there.. it made me scream at the cinema.. :D finally a D/E H/Hr moment! so awesome!! and the fight scenes were really intense.. aaaah! i just can’t get over it. can’t wait to watch it again.. on IMAX!!!:D

Posted by strife19 on November 23, 2010, 12:37 AM report to moderator
Rjlswingmusic_thumb

Loved the Tale of the Three Brothers as well. Sobbed the whole movie at little things, like when they left Dolohov on the ground, since if they killed him Remus might be alive……
Wish Wormtail would’ve died. It would’ve taken TWO. SECONDS.
Loved the doe scene. The locket horcrux was great.
The transitions were very abrupt, but I’m not complaining since it means more content.
Did everyone jump at Nagini striking out at Godric’s Hollow?
O.O

Overall…I’ll have to see it a few more times before I decide how it ranks.

Posted by moonysmusician on November 23, 2010, 11:44 AM report to moderator
2004_hp_and_the_prisoner_of_azkaban_012_thumb

FINALLY saw the film today and I have to say I thought it was pretty good! I expected to hate the dancing scene between Harry and Hermione but it was so sweetly done, I actually liked it. Just for a moment, I became a Harry/Hermione shipper, but not for long! Dobby was amazing, wish we could have seen more of him in previous films. Hermione’s torture scene was gruesomely brilliant. The scene of her wiping her parents’ memories was very poignant. The seven Potters scene was hilarious! The Tale of the Three Brothers was superb, a beautiful bit of animation. That’s the good, now the bad: would have liked to have seen the argument at Grimmauld Place with Lupin, more stuff about Dumbledore and the conversation between Harry and Ron, when Harry tells him Hermione is like a sister.
Did anyone else laugh when Luna said, “Harry doesn’t want to talk to us, he’s just too polite to say so?” I love Luna so much!
Like moonysmusician said, I think a second viewing will be required before I can decide how it compares to my favourite, Prisoner of Azkaban.

Posted by The Gryffindor Fox - ROAR! on November 23, 2010, 02:48 PM report to moderator
2004_hp_and_the_prisoner_of_azkaban_012_thumb

And they actually gave Ron some lines this time! Wooooo!

Posted by The Gryffindor Fox - ROAR! on November 23, 2010, 02:49 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Greetings!
The actors work and the mood and cinematography were good.

However there were significant departures from the written tale, in spirit and fact, that left the storytelling, which is what makes a good movie into a great one, behind.

Posted by 2tal - SpiritMagic174 on November 23, 2010, 08:12 PM report to moderator
Book_thumb

I enjoyed the movie, and I enjoyed reading the comments (all 20 pages!).

My remaining question: why did they put in a scene of dead Dumbledore falling through the air? What was that about? It seemed completely out of place and irrelevant. I mean, if you didn’t know that Dumbledore died in the last movie, what on earth are you doing at this one? And they’re going to remind you of that fact in about two seconds with newspaper headlines anyway.

So, anyone know what that was doing in there?

Posted by jillians642 on November 23, 2010, 09:45 PM report to moderator

I totally agree that this movie was an adaptation, however, some changes I mentioned were minor. All throughout ALL HP movies Harry said Voldemorts name. I think it would have been obvious to continue that thread. That would not have extended the movie at all. I am glad a grand majority loved the film, but I will remain that this will be my least fave movie, but again, more of a let down. People around me also express the same concerns as me and my friends. The movie was rushed and choppy. Yates likes too much excitement. That would have been possible and include JK Rowlings creative mind. I heard somewhere that Yates wanted to not have Kreacher in “Order”..and JK said, I wouldn’t do that if I were you… Priz of Azkaban did not follow the book completely and yet it remains my fave movie because it was on the spot on the parts that were important. I’m a big fan of Lord of the Rings, Pete Jackson did a wonderful job of adaptation. He did a lot of changes but respected the essence of the movie and took in regard the readers. I love Yates, but I wonder what happened here??? I’m soooo dissapointed. To all you who reminds the disappointed it is just an adaptation, please also remember that these people would have happy with a compromise if the movie would have flowed and followed the important points.

Posted by bonica on November 23, 2010, 11:27 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

The movie was excellent though i confess myself to be a bit disappointed. It was really interesting and bit funny too. I loved the ministry sequence. The starting as well as the ending were really touching. I almost cried when Hermione’s pictures fade away from their family photos and the scene where she’s tortured by bellatrix.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on November 24, 2010, 06:14 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I thought it was great! they left out a few parts (as always) but they did stick to most of the book.
As soon as it ended I thought: “I can’t wait till part 2 in July”

Posted by olliered on November 24, 2010, 04:53 PM report to moderator

Only just got to see the movie after a week. Too crowded. Really loved the movie and thought the actors really showed strain and tension of living on the road. Have read heaps of comments which I was always find interesting. Wormtail should have died like in the book, where as it seem like he was just stunned. Scene changes were a bit abrupt, would have liked to see the scene where Harry confronted Lupin about leaving his family to join them, no explanation or link with the mirror and no explanation of how the doe got there ….. i.e. the portrait from Grimmauld Place that was in the book. Despite some of the stuff that was missed, the movie was great. They never get it all and I guess they can’t. Liked everyone’s comments. Nice to read other points of view. Have to go and the movie again. Agree with Bonica there are some inconsistencies from movie to movie.

Posted by Spook on November 27, 2010, 07:02 AM report to moderator
Site_logo_avatar_21apr09_thumb

The Dursley’s leaving without a fight but still fine, though I would have liked to see Detilus Digle in this one. The fight in the air with Hagrid doing some mean motorcycle driving was cool. Landing at the Burrow instead of introducing Ted and Andromeda Tonks was ok, I guess. Ron’s lines to Harry before the wedding was absolutely great (Bravo Rupert!). The parts with the trio at Grimauld Place was good. They didn’t seem to have ANY preparation before going to the ministry in the movie, but I guess that’s what it amounted to in the book as well. How the snatchers found them in the woods was a good movie adaptation imho, but they didn’t mention using Voldemort’s name is a jinx in any part of the movie (had to know the book to get that one). The Malfoys were all great in their roles, but the “thing” with dropping Wormtail in the cellar was sloppy and disappointing. Dobby’s death was very sad, and hit me just like it did in the book; when Harry said they had to bury him, but not with magic. The part with Xeno Lovegood was pretty good. The way Harry got the locket from Umbridge was another good movie adaptation, but why did Runkorn have to walk like he’d had a stroke, or something? Harry getting used to the larger body, I guess. I really liked this movie; but just like the book, it was very different from Harry’s other journeys. No more Hogwarts, or train. No more broom or Hedwig… It’s all been stripped away to define Harry’s next big chapter in life, which is kind of strange, whether in the book or the movie.

Posted by oldpotter on November 28, 2010, 09:55 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

I honestly will have to see the movie again before I can give a true answer to my feelings about this movie. I did not have the best experience in the theater, so I think that has soured my take on DH a little. If I don’t make it back to a different theater soon, I know that I will be pre-ordering my DVD as soon as I possibly can!

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on December 02, 2010, 02:06 PM report to moderator

"I have not got spattergroit!"[br]"But the unsightly blemishes upon your visage, young master --"[br]"They're freckles!" said Ron furiously. "Now get back in your own picture and leave me alone!"