Open Thread: Tell Us What You Thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I!

Movies
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's out, and most of you have seen it by now (if the early box office numbers are any indication!) - so here's where you get to tell us what you thought about the first half of the epic finale. Share your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Wand_thumb

First of all, great idea Leaky! I loved the movie! True they left out some parts such as the in-depth Kreacher story, Lupin-Harry fight, and Wormtail killing himself, but they had to take some things out to make it great. The music was fantastic (listening to the soundtrack right now) and I love all of the jokes that they added in! I also really liked when Harry and Hermione were dancing around the tent, that was really cute. All of the actors were AMAZING as they always are! Thank you David Yates, David Heyman, Alexandre Desplat, Dan, Rupert, Emma and everyone else involved in making DH1 such a great movie!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 19, 2010, 01:49 PM report to moderator
G036_thumb

I found the movie to be outstanding.
True to the book like movie 6. But not too true, which I liked. They moved things around to better go with the plot and it flowed nicely for a movie. They did leave some things out which I think was fine, because it is a movie, and not a book. I’m sure those who dont read the book will understand whats happening and can piece it together. And I LOVED the fight scene at the Malfoys! The small tiny scene with Harry and Draco and the wands and then seeing in July the HUGE impact it will have on the final plot and final scene!
Best parts were Dobby, the locket scene, 7 potters, i loved the new hedwig scene!, the snake scene was epic, and my favourite part was between Hermione and Harry and their dance. I nice light moment for a dark film.

Posted by zimzim on November 19, 2010, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_6th_thumb

I wasn’t going “OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME!” the whole time [I felt as if the camping scenes were slow, but hey, that’s how it is in the book, and they stayed true to it, so that’s fine]. But I did love many different parts of it. I really need to watch it a second time to form a whole opinion on it, because the first time I watch these movies I’m always so preoccupied by the fact that they’re ending. x____x

Posted by likeameteor on November 19, 2010, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Poster_thumb

Omg i loved it!!!! Yeah there were a few parts left out but they made up for it in other areas. I was on pins and needles waiting for george to say he felt saint-like

dobby…..wow he reduced me to tears in the theater.
All in all cant wait for the next one

Posted by skittles on November 19, 2010, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Cabins_thumb

NO Charlie WEASLEY ! VERY DISAPPOINTED! THAT MEANS NO CHARLIE AT THE BATTLE AND THE FAMILY WON"T BE TOGETHER FOR THE TWIN SENDOFF!!! DISAPPOINTED that THEY COULD NOT HAVE CAST ONE MORE PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by bionicpags on November 19, 2010, 01:54 PM report to moderator
Me_2009_thumb

I have to say that I have always loved all of these movies and this was the first one I can say I did not love. I agree with every one that it is really well acted and the film itself was good. However, I am so disappointed that so much was left out. The list is too long to name everything. I felt like if they were going to split this into two movies then they really should have done a better job of staying with the books.I mean I would have preferred they make these movies longer than leave out so much! This movie was way more for the follower of the movies not the fan of the books. So with a sad heart I cant give this movie any higher praise and for the first time I am disappointed.

Posted by Xy4Tonks "Roar" on November 19, 2010, 01:56 PM report to moderator

loved the movie to the core…i deliberatley did not read the book again before watching it cause i have learnt book adaptations are generally mediocre but as far as i could recall frm the book the major stories of the book were there its jst that David Yates probably lost the invisibility cloak in this one..lol..hopefully it comes back in part 2.

some of the scenes in the ministry where they are walking freely w’o being noticed (after the ployjuice potion wore off) was ridiculous

These are the only errors i feel.

the best scene was with bathilda bagshot, as scary as in the book colud have been better had they stuck to the book but all in all. AWESOME

Accio Part 2!! Accio Part 2!!

Posted by charvi on November 19, 2010, 01:56 PM report to moderator

I think they didn’t kill Wormtail so they can use him later to correct a mistake done with the previous movies.

Posted by nhg92 on November 19, 2010, 01:56 PM report to moderator

Best film so far. First I’ve come out of not deeply disappointed. Loved the sets, humour, improved acting, Bill, Xenophilius, but Dobby best of all. Didn’t care for Fleur’s “simple white wedding dress”. Going again tomorrow. When will the DVD released. want to see Part 1, then Part 2 back to back next July.

Posted by Pumpkin Pasty on November 19, 2010, 01:57 PM report to moderator

It was great. The Horcrux scene was so much better than I imagined it. And Bathilda Bagshot— truly creepy! My theatre screamed at that. Oh and Neville! “He’s not here, losers” Brilliant.
I thought they did a good job trying to include all the important plot points such as the snitch and aberforth. I mean, they had a lot of ground to cover. The only change I really took issue with is Grindelwad selling Dumbledore out. But that’s a small nitpick. I understand they can’t include everything and so Kreacher’s backstory gets shoved aside along with Voldemort’s. It’s disappointing, but to be expected.
Yeah, overall I was very satisfied with the movie. They handled all the dark emotional moments so well. Hedwig, the graveyard, Xenophilius…

And I wept for Dobby for the third time.

Posted by UpToNoGood7 on November 19, 2010, 01:58 PM report to moderator

I loved it, of course they strayed from the whole story line a little, but I think they did a fantastic job keeping the story close. Overall I would give the movie a 96%. A+ I am extremely excited for the next one!

Sydney Rose

Posted by sydknee33 on November 19, 2010, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Ohhh_thumb
2006 Points

In Norway the premiere is today so I havent seen it yet! But we`we ordered tickets<33 Can`t wait :D

Posted by Viccy6 {ROAR!} on November 19, 2010, 01:58 PM report to moderator

oh wow i loved it! Theres so much i loved i dont know where to begin! i found it odd that they didnt explain sirius’s mirror but that was pretty much the only thing that bothered me! Rupert Grint was brilliant! as always. though i didnt like how they made Ron so eagar to kill the death eaters in the cafe. the torture scene was brilliant. Emma Watsons best scene. and all the one liners in it were funny and well placed. it was just awesome. i think i need to see it again. it will be great to watch part one and two together!

Posted by Traceymmm on November 19, 2010, 01:59 PM report to moderator

ahhhhhhhh chill out im sure in the fight scene some little ginger is gonna pop out and be like “IM CHARLIE WEASLEY!” like they did with bill

Posted by ILoveSeamus16 on November 19, 2010, 02:00 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

Leaky was down last night or I would have posted then – I thought the film was brilliant! I’d been disappointed with Half-Blood Prince, but Yates was back on his Order of the Phoenix form – very moving, from the trio’s powerful performances through creative flights like the way the Tale of the Three Brothers and the Deathly Hallows was retold – other cast members were great! Bellatrix was toned down and much more terrifying, Xenophilius Lovegood was touching and wonderful – Dobby’s death and the burial were perfect. I was surprised not to get more of Dumbledore’s story – saved for Part 2, perhaps? And they completely avoided explaining the shard of mirror, which I thought was a bit odd. But I thought the movie was cohesive and moving and fully captured the spirit of Book 7. Can’t wait to see it again – and to see Part 2 next year!!

Posted by Agrippa1 on November 19, 2010, 02:04 PM report to moderator

"Hagrid!" Hermione shouted, pounding on his front door. "Hagrid, that's enough! We know you're in there! Nobody cares if your mum was a giantess, Hagrid! You can't let that foul Skeeter woman do this to you! Hagrid, get out here, you're just being --"