"Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Earned $24 Million for Midnight Shows

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
November 19, 2010, 09:40 PM

Variety is reporting that the midnight box office results for "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" are $24 million:

Warner Bros. kicked off what likely will be a boffo opening weekend for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1," launching the film at 3,700 midnight runs for a late-night take of $24 million.
Pic screened at a record-setting 238 domestic Imax screenings, contributing $1.4 million, which surpassed the company's previous $1 million midnight record holder "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
Overall, "Hallows" fell short of catching "Eclipse's" $30 million late-night record, though that film benefited from a more rabid young femme demo and a shorter runtime, as well as its less restrictive summer berth.
Warner will screen "Hallows" this weekend at 4,125 U.S. locations.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Platform_9_34_thumb

We were at a midnight showing and the audience was largely under 18 and most said they were skipping school the next day. If it had been summer, there is no way we wouldn’t have caught Twilight. The film came off the projector about 10 minutes before the end and we waited about 25 minutes to see the end. Manager gave everyone free passes to compensate for our time.

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on November 20, 2010, 11:56 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_pigwidgeon__thumb

proud to say i helped make that happen!(:

Posted by pigwey on November 20, 2010, 02:13 PM report to moderator
41483_1763995488_9057_q_thumb

I don’t think WB really expected a record breaking opening here. I really think they’re banking on the final installment opening in the summer. I’m curious to see what will happen.

Posted by Silvery Doe on November 20, 2010, 03:10 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

How do you think someone who’s not really a fan of the books would like the movie? Will it make sense to someone who hasn’t read a single book?

Posted by chanman on November 20, 2010, 03:35 PM report to moderator

I feel like this film wasn’t as heavily marketed as the others.. I agree that if it was a summer showing we would have beat Eclipse.

Posted by jenbabe705 on November 20, 2010, 05:34 PM report to moderator

Bloody Hell! Myoh my and I agreee if it hadn’t been during the school year I’m sure it would have topped Eclipse!

Posted by DancewithaGinger on November 20, 2010, 05:35 PM report to moderator
58625_155383194474070_100000071723774_451885_7386530_n_thumb

Amazing movie, went to the midnight showing :D just purely an Amazing movie :D

Posted by CrucioImperioAvadaKedavra on November 20, 2010, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

24 Million with 3700 views! Thats fantastic! But why did Eclipse have to get in the way?!

so glad i helped :)

Posted by dobbyis_free on November 20, 2010, 06:15 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I saw it, and am ready for part 2. I am glad to have seen Dobby, and found that part funny then sad. Bring kleenex.

Posted by budgie on November 20, 2010, 09:50 PM report to moderator
Times_thumb

Great movie! Absoultely amazing. I definitely intend on seeing it again and in IMAX!!

Posted by Drew2SOA on November 20, 2010, 11:20 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_finale_thumb

One thing I don’t know if they are taking into account when calculating that total of Eclipse versus HP7 part 1 is that theaters were having a showing of all 3 Twilight movies and I think it cost $30 a pop for that (although they did give a $10 gift card for drinks and snacks). Some theaters were showing 3 HP movies, but it cost $20 and was not well advertised at all. I did not find out about it until a few days before and could not take off work to go. I personally think those movie numbers should be counted in tickets purchased rather than money made on tickets, as ticket prices vary depending on the area of the country you are in and by which type of show you see (Imax versus regular). I think that would be a more accurate picture of how popular a particular movie is. Loved the movie and will be going for repeating viewing next week. : )

Posted by polyjusposhun on November 21, 2010, 04:52 AM report to moderator

i loved it so much, it was so amazing. I really can’t wait to see it again!

Posted by clpotter on November 21, 2010, 05:35 AM report to moderator

It was brilliant!!!!

Posted by Airallia on November 21, 2010, 05:36 AM report to moderator

yeah well i guess the timing was a little bit of a problem because I wouldn’t have seen it if it hadn’t been my long weekend off school.

Posted by Airallia on November 21, 2010, 05:37 AM report to moderator

Dudley, who was so large his bottom drooped over either side of the kitchen chair, grinned and turned to Harry.[br]"Pass the frying pan."[br]"You've forgotten the magic word," said Harry irritably.