"Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Earned $24 Million for Midnight Shows

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
November 19, 2010, 09:40 PM

Variety is reporting that the midnight box office results for "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" are $24 million:

Warner Bros. kicked off what likely will be a boffo opening weekend for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1," launching the film at 3,700 midnight runs for a late-night take of $24 million.
Pic screened at a record-setting 238 domestic Imax screenings, contributing $1.4 million, which surpassed the company's previous $1 million midnight record holder "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
Overall, "Hallows" fell short of catching "Eclipse's" $30 million late-night record, though that film benefited from a more rabid young femme demo and a shorter runtime, as well as its less restrictive summer berth.
Warner will screen "Hallows" this weekend at 4,125 U.S. locations.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

Twilight can’t compare to the HP series. There no competition there. HP slaughters Twilight. Our fandom is over a decade old and still going strong. I’d like to see were Twilight will be when they’ve gotten through their first decade.

Posted by SlyBones on November 20, 2010, 02:09 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

Oh and if you need proof of that check this out, USA Todays list of best-selling books of the last 15 years. #1 HP & SS. #4-9 was the rest of the HP series.

Stephenie Meyer didn’t make the list until #26.

Posted by SlyBones on November 20, 2010, 02:12 AM report to moderator

to my knowledge there was no midnight showing in the uk. Or at least there wasn,t in Birmingham. I ’d have gone to go to one.

Posted by jain on November 20, 2010, 02:47 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

Well-done! Can’t wait to see it :)

Posted by devilskinn on November 20, 2010, 04:21 AM report to moderator
Red_lips_2_thumb

I’ve been twice already and the first one was sold out and the second one was nearly sold out. I’m so excited for Part Two!

Posted by LittleMonster on November 20, 2010, 07:21 AM report to moderator
Dh-3_thumb

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!!!!!! :D :D…..I’m elated by the news!!!!!…
………………………" ’ And now we wait for the finale….which will be one in History!!!’ " ;)

Posted by HermioneDreams on November 20, 2010, 07:52 AM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

AMAZING :D I saw it last night and it really was fantastic, obviously it doesn’t compare to the book but this film really was amazing.

Posted by Sigourney♥ on November 20, 2010, 07:59 AM report to moderator

The Twilight comparison is irrelevant… the opening night numbers mean nothing. The last 2 movies of that franchise had bigger openings than HP, but neither made more money in the end. DH will be the same. It will again break the $300M mark like HBP and no Twilight movie can say that. And that’s just the US take. DH is predicted to reach close to $1B worldwide…

Posted by Tyqwando416 on November 20, 2010, 08:04 AM report to moderator

it was supposed to be scheduled for 17 Nov in Egypt, it was a big blow when they delayed it, now i can’t go until monday, i can hardly contain the excitement.

Posted by ~*Incarnadine Ibis*~ on November 20, 2010, 09:07 AM report to moderator

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Crystal from Louisiana, US.
__________________

Posted by crystal8es on November 20, 2010, 09:21 AM report to moderator
310_thumb

I am not surprised.It was such an awesome movie.

Posted by Blossom on November 20, 2010, 09:35 AM report to moderator
310_thumb

I am not surprised.It was such an awesome movie.

Posted by Blossom on November 20, 2010, 09:35 AM report to moderator
146_thumb

I’ve seen it twice, and both shows were almost sold out. I’m guessing these numbers are just for the US because when they count international ticket sales these numbers will be a lot higher, i’m guessing.

Posted by Darth Mary on November 20, 2010, 10:38 AM report to moderator

I think that is amazing to make that much just at the midnight showings, it doesn’t include the over all showings does it? or include the rest of the world? wonder how much it will take in over the weekend. I can’t wait to see it again and to see part 2 =D

Posted by KimmiePotter on November 20, 2010, 11:10 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I don’t care how many people go to see Eclipse because I will always know that HARRY POTTER IS BETTER!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 20, 2010, 11:35 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Hagrid seized his umbrella and whirled it over his head, "NEVER --" he thundered, "-- INSULT -- ALBUS -- DUMBLEDORE -- IN -- FRONT -- OF -- ME!"