"Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Earned $24 Million for Midnight Shows

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
November 19, 2010, 09:40 PM

Variety is reporting that the midnight box office results for "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" are $24 million:

Warner Bros. kicked off what likely will be a boffo opening weekend for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1," launching the film at 3,700 midnight runs for a late-night take of $24 million.
Pic screened at a record-setting 238 domestic Imax screenings, contributing $1.4 million, which surpassed the company's previous $1 million midnight record holder "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
Overall, "Hallows" fell short of catching "Eclipse's" $30 million late-night record, though that film benefited from a more rabid young femme demo and a shorter runtime, as well as its less restrictive summer berth.
Warner will screen "Hallows" this weekend at 4,125 U.S. locations.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Ootp_tumblr_thumb

i really think that if it was during the summer, part 1 would have caught eclipse. and arent these stats just for the u.s? surely it did even better overseas? anyway, hp beats twilight anyway, no matter how much dough it makes. :D

Posted by hermy007 on November 19, 2010, 09:59 PM report to moderator

I am proud to say that every midnight show was sold out in the city of Boston…such a college town.

Posted by greenfire on November 19, 2010, 10:04 PM report to moderator
Hermione_-_poa_thumb

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just saw it. I cried and laughed so hard. I cannot wait to see Part 2!

Posted by hermioneginnyluna on November 19, 2010, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

Part II with IMAX 3-d will trump Twilight.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on November 19, 2010, 10:18 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-deathly-hallows-trailer_thumb

Part 2 alone will be twilight…this is ONLY midnight… I See 400 million US dollars across the horizon

Posted by PotterParish on November 19, 2010, 10:21 PM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe__rupert_grint__emma_watson_harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_image_1_thumb

Just got back! Great movie. Pretty much stayed true to the book. My only criticism is there wasn’t enough of the Harry Potter theme in the music….I thought they were going to correct that from the previous few movies…although the music was good…dark where it needed to be. Can’t wait for Part 2!!! RIP Dobby…………..

Posted by crikeyhunter on November 19, 2010, 10:34 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_leyh30bfds1qd7uhgo1_500_thumb

It’s an amazeing movie!

Posted by chuzzle on November 19, 2010, 10:47 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

I saw it in IMAX, it was packed! The shows were all sold out, lots of camping ..
This is only midnight screenings, on a Thursday, in November… I think it is GREAT! and Twilight has nothing on Harry Potter, there is still so much more to come from this movie :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on November 19, 2010, 10:52 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

a-mazing. A-MAZING movie !!

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on November 19, 2010, 11:46 PM report to moderator
38093_1525112213973_1419668696_2107419_4307673_n_thumb

I think the reason we lost was because its a school night. We’ll do much better in July! Amazing movie I want to see it again!

Posted by Sohumdore on November 20, 2010, 12:33 AM report to moderator
Gryffindor_thumb

great movie, seen it twice already

Posted by Jooooooolz on November 20, 2010, 12:35 AM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

Best in the series and will be No.i in HP series.
Actors did really a good job, They lived upto the expectation

Posted by blackhair on November 20, 2010, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Voly_thumb

its funny, I was certain the show would be sold out and bought my tickets really early, but the there were only about thirty of us in the theater.

Posted by voldemort07 on November 20, 2010, 12:50 AM report to moderator
Creeper_thumb

Dobby. All I want in life is more of Dobby, but oh no he can’t be there unless he is going to DIE in 5 seconds after he brightens my day.

Posted by 42fryguy on November 20, 2010, 12:58 AM report to moderator
Harry___hermoine_thumb

It was fantastic! I agree with hermy007, if it was summer time or even Thanksgiving break during the midnight opening I think they would have pulled in more than Eclipse. Maybe the timing hurt a little with those numbers. The theater I was at, wasn’t as packed as I thought it would have been. Never the less, the movie was amazing! The cast and crew did an amazing job! I can’t wait until Part 2! :)

Posted by fragilexstars on November 20, 2010, 01:33 AM report to moderator

"I could've taken those mer-idiots any time I wanted."[br]"What were you going to do, snore at them?" said Hermione waspishly.