EBay Auction Underway for Signed First Edition of Deathly Hallows to Benefit MS Charity

Charity
Posted by: Rosi
November 16, 2010, 10:57 PM

A signed first edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is being auctioned off on eBay at the moment to raise money for The Bristol and Avon Multiple Sclerosis Centre (BrAMS). The auction will end in just under five days. The copy was signed by J.K. Rowling at the National History Museum on the night of Deathly Hallows' release.

A reserve price of £1,800 has been put on the lot. Says a BrAMS press release:

The items have been collected by Grant Thompson, who has MS and attends the BrAMS centre. Grant dedicated the last two years of his life to contacting famous authors and celebrities and collected a whopping 600 signed items in total. Some of these items were auctioned last December but the rest are still available.
All of the BrAMS items are available on eBay at this link and you can find the bidding page for Deathly Hallows right here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Charity News

Hewlett_packard_thumb

Wow. That’s a lot of money. I wonder if first editions means before JK edited it, or if it is the first book printed.

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on November 16, 2010, 11:11 PM report to moderator

First editions are the first lot of books printed which were about 600 and they were all signed by JK thats why they are really rare.

Posted by Gurps on November 17, 2010, 03:02 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Wow thats some auction. first signed copies cool

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on November 17, 2010, 08:15 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Well, its First Edition, it a big thing. I wonder who’ll finally be able to get their hands on the book?

Naughty_galaxy_thumb

The first editions of DH were published in their millions, it’s the signature and the context of when it was signed that make it worth a lot of money.

Philosopher’s Stone is the book that the first edition was published in a very small number, and they are worth quite a bit even without a signature, it’s rarity value makes sure of that.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on November 17, 2010, 03:48 PM report to moderator

i wrote to jk rowling asking for a donation for my auction for my friend who died to get a memorial bench and she sent a personnal letter to me and all the books hardback signed and some say first edition in the front ??? i was soo chuffed also emma, rupert, dan and ivanna sent singed photos i was very happy :D loads of other celebrities sent stuff so looking good :D:D

Posted by Shona Macleod on November 17, 2010, 04:15 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Wow—now would be a nice time to win the lottery, and then join the auction! i hope all goes well anyway and that the MS charity gets all that its expecting! good luck!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on November 17, 2010, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

Wow that’s a lot but i still hope it goes for more, that way more money goes towards the foundation :D Keep bidding, and lucky person who gets it :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on November 17, 2010, 06:31 PM report to moderator
146_thumb

If I had the money I’d love to buy that and give some money to the foundation. I hope it goes for a lot. I mean, it’s totally worth it. It’s first edition, and all the money goes to a worthy cause. I hope it goes well :)

Posted by Darth Mary on November 17, 2010, 07:07 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I would love to get that! Unfortunately 1,800 pounds…..

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 18, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator

She is so generous! Hope they make lots of money from this!!

Posted by hewy on November 18, 2010, 04:29 PM report to moderator

That’s a lot of money and that’s just the starting cost

Posted by lpierich on November 18, 2010, 11:29 PM report to moderator

I need to get that…..except if I did I would probably end up broke….and faint….
It was really generous of Jo to do that. One thing that makes me love Jo so much (besides writing the Harry Potter books) is that she is constantly so generous and caring. I honestly could say that I think she is probably one of the nicest people that I know of. (I couldn’t say know, because it’s not like I’ve met her :( ). Wow. She’s amazing.

Posted by RavenclawGirl13 on November 19, 2010, 08:22 AM report to moderator
Leaky1_thumb

If wishing made it so this would be mine 2 years ago :-|

Posted by luvmeHBprince on November 21, 2010, 09:20 PM report to moderator

Mrs. Dursley was thin and blonde and had nearly twice the usual amount of neck, which came in very useful as she spent so much of her time craning over garden fences, spying on the neighbors.