WB: "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" to be Released in 2D Formats, Not 3D

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 08, 2010, 02:24 PM

WB has issued a press release regarding the decision to release the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film in a 2D format for conventional and IMAX theaters.  The first half of the final Harry Potter film was originally slated to be converted into 3D during post production, however, as the press release notes, "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality."

The full press release is as follows:

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1” in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate “Harry Potter” experience.
Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” in both 2D and 3D formats.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

287e041302f34b11ddfb57afc8048cd8_thumb

I wanted to see it in 3D because I thought it would make the adventure and action scenes even more awesome. I like 3D if it actually works and suits the film. Bit bummed.

Posted by Lizzydizzy on October 11, 2010, 03:20 AM report to moderator
Red_lips_2_thumb

I’m actually really glad that they aren’t doing it in 3D. I’m not a fan of 3D, really.

Posted by LittleMonster on October 11, 2010, 04:35 AM report to moderator

Forcing a 2D film into 3D will always be a compromise involving the subjective opinions of the hired techies doing the conversion. This is adding a half-baked layer of abstraction to the original film as envisioned by the director. I am glad WB have seen sense in only releasing it in 2D.

Posted by hereward on October 11, 2010, 07:33 AM report to moderator
Anime_thumb

Definitely disappointing:-( but at least they are not delaying the release.

Posted by Susmita singh on October 11, 2010, 09:13 AM report to moderator
Anime_thumb

Definitely disappointing:-( but at least they are not delaying the release.

Posted by Susmita singh on October 11, 2010, 09:14 AM report to moderator

3D is soo not original xD

Posted by Xx_mirt_xX on October 11, 2010, 10:37 AM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

When the film was announced in 3D I felt torn… I didn’t really want to go see it in 3D because I watched HP 1-6 in 2D; However, I was still interested in seeing the 3D version. Overall, I’m pleased with the decision by WB. I’m ecstatic that they chose to keep the original release date… It certainly appears WB did learn from their mistake with HBP ;) After investing this much time and money into a 3D version, I’m convinced they’ll work to complete DH1 in 3D. I wonder if WB will aim to release the completed DH1 3D version at the same time as Part 2. The added time should be enough to allow WB to complete a good quality version of DH1 in 3D. Maybe they’ll offer tickets to a back to back 3D showing of DH 1 & 2 (with a short break in between of course). That sounds like something WB would do, & I would fall victim to this strategy if it were to happen. ;)

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on October 12, 2010, 08:58 AM report to moderator
553520_488880994466250_43107597_n_thumb

It would’ve been a HUGE disappointment if they’d decided not to release it at th 19. anyway. What if we had to wait until next summer?
I’m glad they did this:)

Posted by Asria (DreamLight208) on October 12, 2010, 04:06 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

I’m personally glad it’s not in 3-D, but again at least they didn’t push back the date to convert it to 3-D and keep it high quality.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on October 12, 2010, 07:05 PM report to moderator
111253053264374815_j3jgvm8y_c_thumb

Cool! I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by ksddancer... ROAR!!!!!!! on October 16, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator

Ron's wand was still malfunctioning, surpassing itself on Friday morning by shooting out of Ron's hand in Charms and hitting tiny old Professor Flitwick squarely between the eyes, creating a large, throbbing green boil where it had struck.