WB: "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" to be Released in 2D Formats, Not 3D

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 08, 2010, 02:24 PM

WB has issued a press release regarding the decision to release the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film in a 2D format for conventional and IMAX theaters.  The first half of the final Harry Potter film was originally slated to be converted into 3D during post production, however, as the press release notes, "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality."

The full press release is as follows:

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1” in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate “Harry Potter” experience.
Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” in both 2D and 3D formats.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

2vbx3b5_thumb

I’m extremely disappointed, but like everyone else here I’d MUCH rather only be able to see it in 2D on Nov 19 than have to wait months for them to finish the 3D conversion so I can see it in both 2D and 3D. My cousin and I had always planned on seeing it in 2D for the midnight screening then going back a couple of days later to see it in 3D. I REALLY hope that they will finish the conversion and just release the 3D version at a later date like right before Part 2 comes out or something like that. Anyway, while this certainly isn’t the end of the world or the worst that could happen, it’s still a huge letdown.

Posted by bella vita on October 09, 2010, 08:33 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I don’t like 3D, so this is good news for me. If the film had come out in 3D, I would’ve wanted to watch it, but I would’ve been sick from the motion. I hope others aren’t terribly disappointed, but I think it’s better not to delay and to have the best possible product, which seems to mean 2-D only.

Johnnie_ret_thumb

Awwww, sh**!!! And I was soooo looking forward to seeing Snape’s nose in 3D…! Oh, well… just another WB letdown; what else could we expect…?

Posted by Gloria on October 09, 2010, 10:13 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

Don’t worry about WB losing money with this, Justin the Mighty. They’ll just accuse a few more randomly chosen people with illegal downloading and force them to settle outside the Courts because they can’t afford to prove their innocence in a legal battle against the major media corporations. They’ll get those $50 million back in a flash.

Posted by Iceholic on October 09, 2010, 10:29 PM report to moderator
Dobbysnap_thumb

●hugs Iceholic’s anti-establishment inner Slytherin●

Posted by Justin the Mighty on October 09, 2010, 10:49 PM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

3D makes my head hurt >.< but i’d love it either way! (:

Posted by ProfessorAlice on October 09, 2010, 10:55 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

Someone has to stand up and fight Evil! \o/

Posted by Iceholic on October 09, 2010, 11:01 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Works for me. I don’t like 3D anyway and always look for a regular showing.

Posted by Eeyore on October 10, 2010, 12:47 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

A bit disappointing but its better in 2d than in incomplete 3d. atleast the final is in 3d.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on October 10, 2010, 03:14 AM report to moderator

yay, maybe WB and the rest should read these post and stop doing 3D all together :)

Posted by lpierich on October 10, 2010, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

that is a total disappointment….it seems that WB has been having loads of trouble lately living up to their release dates with HP movies! but at least they arent delaying the release, and if they really believe it would have been rushed and crappy, i can deal with it…but i was totally looking forward to an avatar worthy 3D Potter world!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 10, 2010, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

I must say i’m glad ,I wasn’t going to go see it in 3D ,(I hope people who were going aren’t dissapointed )

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on October 10, 2010, 01:31 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I am actually happy. The only 3D film I really enjoyed was Avatar. I find the effect to be distracting from the story. So good on you WB for making a great decision and not causing another HBP uprising over something which will not change the way I see the movie. Never planned to buy the 3D tickets in the first place.

Posted by Rhiannon on October 10, 2010, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Photo0350_thumb

WHAT!? oh well it IS Harry POtter so i wont fuss yey 39 days!!!!!

Posted by Polka Square on October 10, 2010, 08:47 PM report to moderator
287e041302f34b11ddfb57afc8048cd8_thumb

I wanted to see it in 3D because I thought it would make the adventure and action scenes even more awesome. I like 3D if it actually works and suits the film. Bit bummed.

Posted by Lizzydizzy on October 11, 2010, 03:20 AM report to moderator

"Ron, we're supposed to show the first years where to go!"[br]"Oh yeah," said Ron, who had obviously forgotten. "Hey -- hey you lot! Midgets!"[br][i]"Ron!"[/i][br]"Well, they are, they're titchy..."[br]"I know, but you can't call them midgets..."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014