WB: "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" to be Released in 2D Formats, Not 3D

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 08, 2010, 02:24 PM

WB has issued a press release regarding the decision to release the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film in a 2D format for conventional and IMAX theaters.  The first half of the final Harry Potter film was originally slated to be converted into 3D during post production, however, as the press release notes, "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality."

The full press release is as follows:

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1” in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate “Harry Potter” experience.
Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” in both 2D and 3D formats.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hpdh_thumb

really i was actually looking forward to it but we ll see in part 2

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on October 08, 2010, 10:00 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

THANK MERLIN! I was not looking forward to seeing it in 3-D since I wear glasses and for some reason teh 3-D glasses always hurt my Eyes. HORRAY FOR 2-D!!!

Now…Just 41 days until the movie!!!!

Posted by joeys_mommy on October 08, 2010, 10:33 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

3D doesn’t matter, the story does.

Posted by budgie on October 08, 2010, 10:37 PM report to moderator

I’m really disappointed about this, and I don’t know why they are still going to release the second part in 3D – now I don’t think it’s worth the time. I say either do them both or don’t do either.

Posted by glow_freak on October 08, 2010, 10:38 PM report to moderator

Acctually, I’m glad. I didn’t really want it to be in 3D (it would have ruined it in my opinion)

Posted by ElphabaROCKS on October 08, 2010, 11:14 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

I’m really really glad they aren’t doing it in 3D! I really hate 3D movies because I have glasses and the 3D glasses never fit over them so I was really angry that HP was going to be in 3D. Also everything is coming out in 3D now and it really bothers me. I think they6 should keep all the HP movies in 2D because it’s the very last movie and all the others were in 2D so it just ruins the effect if they do one in 3D.

Posted by Jacket on October 08, 2010, 11:43 PM report to moderator
Hermione_96

Well I was originally really sceptical about the movie being in 3D but after a while the idea really grew on me and I hot really excited and now I’m very sad :( and disappointed but at least they’re doing this for the right reasons so that the film doesn’t look terrible

Posted by Alec wick. *ROAR* on October 08, 2010, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_70_thumb

I don’t mind that it won’t be in 3D – it doesn’t make a difference to me at all. Just as long as it’s going to be as good as they say it’s going to be in every other aspect…

Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on October 08, 2010, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Hermione_96

Posted by Alec wick. *ROAR* on October 08, 2010, 11:50 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

No loss there.

Posted by Iceholic on October 09, 2010, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Thank you David Heyman and David Yates. I have a feeling the two of them fought for this more so than Mr. Horn. Granted, if the 3-D effects looked awful for part 1, it was going to hurt sales for part 2. So even though they’ll make less initially, they’ll probably make more in the long run.

Posted by mollywobble on October 09, 2010, 12:18 AM report to moderator

i’m delighted – threeD always gives me a headache and makes me feel nauseous. It also contaminates the film as they start going for all the 3D shots and gimmicks at the expense of the rest of the film.

Posted by pottershrink on October 09, 2010, 01:07 AM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

dang! I was looking forward to 3D :( Oh well… It wont ruin the movie for me though, 3D wasn’t the reason i was going to watch it, it was just a little plus..

Still very very very very VERY excited to see the Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on October 09, 2010, 01:56 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I’m rather relieved. I didn’t like the idea of post-production 3D, and I agree with bellatrix15101 about the difficulty of sobbing one’s way through the death scenes while wearing the glasses (on top of my own glasses). I would rather JUST ENJOY THE FILM. (Only 40 days to go, folks!)

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on October 09, 2010, 02:19 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Disappointing, but they are doing it for the right reasons.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on October 09, 2010, 03:58 AM report to moderator

[Harry] had never before considered the possibility that there might be another teacher in the world he hated more than Snape, but as he walked back toward Gryffindor Tower he had to admit he had found a contender. [i]She's evil,[/i] he thought, as he cli