WB: "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" to be Released in 2D Formats, Not 3D

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 08, 2010, 02:24 PM

WB has issued a press release regarding the decision to release the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film in a 2D format for conventional and IMAX theaters.  The first half of the final Harry Potter film was originally slated to be converted into 3D during post production, however, as the press release notes, "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality."

The full press release is as follows:

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1” in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate “Harry Potter” experience.
Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” in both 2D and 3D formats.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Khhp_thumb

a little bit disappointing but not that big of deal. they could always re-release part 1 in 3D in the spring.

Posted by doctorpope181 on October 08, 2010, 07:11 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

GOOD. 3D is not all thatt. getting your movie out on time IS. congrats WB for making an excellent decision. :)

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on October 08, 2010, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

aw dissapointing but it can be a good thing not to be rushed and ruined

Posted by farewell_fred on October 08, 2010, 07:33 PM report to moderator

I am so sad! I do hate wearing those 3D glasses over my regular ones though.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on October 08, 2010, 07:35 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

I haven’t seen 3D, but I’ve heard its not very good any way. So its just as well its in 2D.

Posted by SlyBones on October 08, 2010, 07:45 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

Posted by SlyBones on October 08, 2010, 07:46 PM report to moderator
41483_1763995488_9057_q_thumb

There are no words for the disappointment I feel right now. Wonder if they will eventually release it in 3D.

Posted by Silvery Doe on October 08, 2010, 07:47 PM report to moderator

no way this will cross 1 billion now

Posted by hallowman on October 08, 2010, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

@Jp Gagen: but then you just said it yourself, they practically KNEW they didn’t have enough time, so why did they, not only attempt, but hype it the way they did? that’s a rhetorical question, because we’ll never know even if they tell us straight up-style, they kind of lost my trust when it comes to the way they conduct business back in august 2008. I know what you’re saying, but I just think they should be better at this kind of stuff. everyone always talks about the ‘big potter machine,’ well, I think there’s a couple wrenches stuck in there.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on October 08, 2010, 07:53 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

Thank you WB, I’m so glad that a company would rather worry about quality over the extra money they’ll make from a terribly made 3D makeover.

I think 3D is on the verge of killing good movies and this is one step in the right direction by a huge company like WB.

Avatar was shot WITH 3D in mind from start to finish, that is the only reason it was worth watching in 3D, Harry potter is better off without 3d, I assure you.

Posted by Liderc on October 08, 2010, 08:01 PM report to moderator

Doesn’t really matter. 3D is still just a headache-incucing overpriced gimmick, and the only reasons the film industry is pushing it is because 1, they can charge more, and 2, it makes piracy more difficult. It all comes down to cash, not quality. It doesn’t enhance the experience in any way. Within the next couple of years it will be dead and gone, back to being a novelty.

Posted by JackHarkness on October 08, 2010, 08:13 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

I’m actually rather happy about this. 3D is mostly all hyped up because it’s the “new thing”. And wearing 3D glasses would definitely complicate things when it comes to death scenes……. (i’m planning on bringing an entire box of kleenex into the theater, just FYI)

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on October 08, 2010, 08:19 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

hoooraaayyy!! :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on October 08, 2010, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

hoooraaayyy!! :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on October 08, 2010, 08:59 PM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

I think they are doing the right thing. B/c I would rather see it at it’s best then in 3d but so good.

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on October 08, 2010, 09:18 PM report to moderator

"Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" Malfoy snarled.[br]"It's all right, Draco," said Narcissa, restraining him with her thin white fingers upon his shoulder. "I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius before I am reunited with Lu